Notices

Day 10 having that neverending inner saga

Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10 having that neverending inner saga

I am sitting here at work waiting to get off so I can go to the gym and get rid of this desire to drink tonight. It really hits me hard when I know i'm going to be alone and the last time this happened (last wednesday) I fought it off with excersize. I am praying to have that happen again. If not, I guess I'll have to go find a meeting ASAP but unfortunately there usually aren't any after 8pm here so then I will just have to go straight home (the hardest part) and get my butt on SR and just start reading. That helps me a lot. Not really looking for any advice, just wanted to have someone else know what is going on inside me right now. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Res,

You are doing well. Planning ahead is very good. The cravings take awhile but will get somewhat easier. The spaces where you don't think about drinking get longer the more time you have. I am almost at 10 months now and I still get triggers but they are no where near how they were in the beginning. I don't go to AA but I do think that would have made it alot easier.
Posting and reading are great too as you will find out there are so many that are way worse off than you are. Sometimes you can actually feel the pain they are going through and your problems don't seem as bad. Good luck and keep up the good work. Exercise really helps as you have found out. Those natural drugs (endorphins ) are great.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

The gym was my savior in the first weeks of sobriety. I'd walk on the treadmill for a long time!

This is going to sound silly, but I also got a lot stronger by JUST NOT DRINKING! As important as it is to replace the time and things taken up by drinking, it's also very empowering to just get through a day, just not drinking.. it made me proud to just simply not do it, and I repeated it, and repeated .. got support, and continue to repeat.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

We're here for you!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're going to make it tonight, Resa. You're 48 hours ahead of me and inspiring me every day. Hit the gym and drink lots of water. I find that really helps me. I normally don't check SR during evenings but will today to support and hear your inspiring tale!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Taking long walks saved my sanity many, many times.

And, coming here to SR always inspired me.

You're doing great!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

STay strong, the rewards can be amazing. Sending positive vibes your way.

J
Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You might want to start collecting phone numbers when you go to meetings. It's always been a big help to call someone when the cravings hit.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to log in from a computer that isn't my own but I did and I am on here at the gym. Thank you so much for the support. In addition to working out you gave me an extra boost to make it through the night. The battle isn't over but I still have yoga ahead of me and the long drive home (without stopping ). I will check in later. Love you all!!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Gladc your finding healthy ways to get past the urges. Keep it up and hang in there.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice job resa. Jogged five miles myself tonight and it really helped. Looking forward to watching you chalk up another day tomorrow. Chin up and good going!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well i'm home safe and sober. Thank you all for listening. Its only 10 days but those 10 days I worked damn hard for and I would have been pissed if I gave that up so quickly just because my inner demon told me to. Day 11 here I come.......
Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

I find it helps to laugh at that demon a little and tell him to **** off=) glad you made home safe!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through the night. Everyday is a victory and the mornings are great. Once I learned it was an alcoholic voice talking in my head it did become easier to shut it off. It's against logic to believe that this voice can make you drink but if you think about some of the things it tells you it sort of makes sense. To this day it tells me that I really liked the taste of wine and martinis which is probably true but if I am only looking for the taste why not drink non-alcoholic beverages. What a f***ing disease this is. Sorry for the profanity. lol