Crappy discusion = staying with a friend

Old 05-18-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Crappy discusion = staying with a friend

At 10:00 Friday night, abf starts hinting at buying a house and our future etc. and is digging for comments from me. Finally he says "I mean if you want to be with me". I didn't say anything. He started packing stuff up. I was half asleep as I'd fallen asleep on the couch. He kept saying "you really should talk to me if you heard me". He was getting the dog all ready to go "for a ride". Of course he wasn't going anywhere. I was going to let him, but knew it wouldn't actually happen. So finally I started talking to him. It was a FOUR HOUR conversation that should NOT have lasted that long! (my bad.. got sucked in)

Oh my gosh the things he had to say. He told me that he would never consider leaving me if I had a problem... he'd stand by my side and help me. He finally admitted that it IS a problem (which he says he never said it wasn't???) but that I can't expect it to just be better instantly. He was out of control before and it takes time to get things back in control and it's getting better. He says that if he goes off the meds he would be dead from chronic pain in 10 years. Said I was crazy to think that he would take so many meds that make him fall asleep if he had a baby (I voiced concern about having children with him). Said that I think he's a junkie and I'm wrong. Said he'll prove me wrong and I'll be sorry.

He asked if I was breaking up with him. I wasn't prepared for this conversation. I just cried and then he proceeded to tell me that that was his answer. So he proceeded to get the engagement ring out that he had gotten me and threw the box at me (not hard).

Oh, and this just urks me. He had told me before that if anyone thought that he needed help that he would go to a 30 in-patient program for treatment. Now he says that if I told him that he had to go or I was going to leave, that he would go and he'd come back out with the same meds because he really does need them and the only thing that would change would be that he would resent me. I said, but you told me that if anyone thought you needed to go you would. He said no, what I said was that if the people I cared about thought I needed to go I would... not just you. But of course nobody else sees it like I can. They aren't around. Although they know there's an issue.

He wanted me to PROVE to him that he has a problem. I said I can SEE it with my own two eyes. He of course proceeds to tell me that I should tell him when I notice things because sometimes he doesn't know! Says that sometimes he takes two lunesta because his pain is so bad he can't sleep, and that's why I see him "nodding" in his chair. He also says that he "never PLANS to take too much". Sometimes after he's taken a couple, his inhibitions lessen and then he'll take more. Like that makes a difference!

At any rate, by 2:00 in the morning I was exhausted. We never really said if we were broken up or anything. I couldn't take it anymore. I fell asleep on the couch. At 7:00 in the morning he said his back hurt and he had to go to bed... I was welcome to join him. I did. But I got up by 9:00, showered, packed up enough clothes for a few days and left a note saying he gave me a lot of things to think aboutand I was staying with a friend for a few days so that I could think clearly.

Over the last couple of days, I've gotten calls from our tenants. He's not answering his phone. He told me also during our talk that if we break up that his brother and I are going to have to get a manager. I told him we can't afford a manager. He said, well then you guys will have to do it because I won't be doing anything for while! Are you kidding me?! I told him I have a full-time job and I have to keep going to it. Why should he just stop working. What a bunch of BS! I don't know what to do. I stayed at my friend's house Saturday and Sunday night. I think I'll stay tonight too. I brought enough to stay for 4 days I think. I don't know what my next step should be. I kind of just don't want to go back. I don't know if he's even taking care of the animals or what the heck he's doing.

I just wish he'd take responsibility! Why Why Why can't he just act like an adult and be responsible??? On top of everything, I can't work full time and worry about what's going on with our apartments. We have people who were supposed to move in this weekend and I don't even know if he got back to them. Can I just sell everything and move to Mexico???

I don't know what to do next. I finally have that "numb" feeling. I don't know how to feel and I don't know what my next move should be. I feel kind of frozen. It sure is nice to be staying with my friend, but I don't feel capable of making any more decisions. Don't know when to go back. I'm dreading any more conversations with him. This just sucks...
Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Optimist

Originally Posted by justtired View Post

Can I just sell everything and move to Mexico???
Can my kids and I come with you?

Originally Posted by justtired View Post
I don't know what to do next. I finally have that "numb" feeling. I don't know how to feel and I don't know what my next move should be. I feel kind of frozen. It sure is nice to be staying with my friend, but I don't feel capable of making any more decisions. Don't know when to go back. I'm dreading any more conversations with him. This just sucks... :c020
I am in the midst of a crisis in my own relationship, due to my husband's heroin addiction, so I am not really in a position to offer advice or words of wisdom or anything, but what I CAN do is say that I know how you feel. It feels like I end every conversation about his addiction by telling him "I don't know how to feel and I don't know what my next move should be." I haven't kicked him out yet, because he does have an honest desire to quit and is taking steps in order to be able to do so, and because we have two small children who he is making a real effort to shield from this, but I have come very close. I have the "numb" feeling on and off, and continuing on with my daily life has been very, very hard. So I'm not sure if any of that's helpful or not, but at least you know you are not alone!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do both of you own this building, together?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Yes, but it's not just one building. We own duplexes and a couple single family properties. He manages them and is our general contractor on the rehab projects. We are on all the mortgages (about 20 of them) 50/50...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I'm in your shoes I am calling an attorney immediately.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Chino ~ I already did talk to an attorney. A couple of weeks ago... because I knew that I would be doing something soon and wanted to be prepared. It's just unbelievably frustrating that he can't act like an adult and deal with his life and his responsibilities. No doubt our business will suffer over the next few months as we try to get this figured out and I will probably be pulling my hair out trying to manage. It shouldn't have to be this way, but then again, when do A's ever make things easy???
Old 05-18-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you, seeing an attorney! I'm a business partner too. We have a dereliction of duty provision in our contract. Do you have a business contract?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you said your brother was involved too - do you by chance have any kind of partnership agreement that splits up responsibilities?
even with family that's a good idea so hopefully you guys thought of that before. if so you'll have a great leg to stand on in court
Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

We have a dereliction of duty provision in our contract. Do you have a business contract?
I had to look up dereliction of duty. I wish I knew of that before. We do have something drawn up with a lawyer just stating our interest in the business, but nothing like that.

I'm mad at myself because I put too much trust in him. I work full-time so I did certain things with the business and was a financial partner, but he did most of the management aspects. I mean I always knew where we stood financially of course and important things, but I left a lot to him because I just didn't have the time and that was his job. Never in a million years did I see this coming. I wish I'd been more prepared.

you said your brother was involved too - do you by chance have any kind of partnership agreement that splits up responsibilities?
even with family that's a good idea so hopefully you guys thought of that before. if so you'll have a great leg to stand on in court
It's his brother who is involved. He is not on any of the mortgages and has earned his share via time and work. We do have an agreement that splits up responsibilities so hopefully that will help.

The attorney said that we will be so much better off if we can just come to some sort of agreement between us and he can just assist in getting it done vs. fighting the battle out in court. I'm willing to take less than my fair share just to get it done quickly with the least amount of hassle.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is coming from someone who is a complete outsider, and I don't know the full story, but maybe your best option would be to cut and run? Sell the properties (I know the market's bad), and start again if you really wanted to? I'm assuming your full-time work is unrelated to your properties?