A Must Read Book I've found on Healing Addiction

Old 05-18-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Must Read Book I've found on Healing Addiction

I'm kind of new to all this so everyone may have heard of it but for those who haven't it's called: Healing the Addicted Brain by Harold C. Urschel, III, M.D.

I'm only on chapter 4 but it's wonderful and makes me feel hopeful. The author was on the Dr. Phil show on his program entitled 'How to Stay Sober'.

Chapter 1 starts with the quote "Everything you know about addiction treatment is wrong."

I got the book at Barnes and Noble online for $10 (& $5 postage). I think it's a must read for all of us.

The part that has impressed me the most so far is that there are non addicting meds to take away the cravings. This is especially true for alcoholics but also for addicts. I didn't know that but then my son has just relapsed after a year and I wasn't into finding all this out until now.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass it on.

It's also a very easy read and packed with science backup.

KariSue
Old 05-18-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I saw that on Dr. Phil. I havent read the book yet but I like the idea they (on the show) explain that its not a lack of will power and the addict does have biological changes that cause and contribute to the disease.

I believe so many people think its just a matter of will and think most addicts just dont want to get better.