Notices

how would you answer this???

Old 05-17-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how would you answer this???

if some one askes you fancy coming out for a drink and they question you why dont you want an alcoholic drink... do you

A/ say im a recovering alcoholic
B/ im not a drinker
C/ im alergic to alcohol
D/ im on medication
E/ i dont want a hangover in the morning

a lot of people feel embarresed to say im a recovering alcoholic because it sounds bad ,,when really all it is ,,is that we react differently to alcohol and cant control it,,,me i just tell them im not a drinker
Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

easy.........i dont drink.

or because im a driver..its easy for me to say ive gotta go to work or im on call.

but then again i dont find myself amongst drinkers much.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Depends......whos asking??? And if the question is why dont I drink??

Is it family, friend, neighbour, work person , the guy from local insurance company, driving instructor...whos askin?? and why
Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the first year of sobriety, I was terrified over how I would handle this. It ws one of the first questions I had of those i met in the program. What I had heard the most often was to tell the person you were on antibiotics, if explaining why I wasn't drinking was uncomfortable.

No one asks me now *to go for a drink* only come to think of it, but I'm a little older than you are based on the picture. If I am out for dinner with friends or new friends, I just order a Perrier. No one asks me why, because not having alcohol isn't normally odd unless one has a problem with alcohol, or so I have found.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I just say I don't drink.. and if asked why (which rarely happens, a LOT of people don't drink!!), I just then say that I drank my share, drank enough, found that I liked it *too* much.. and just decided to live healthier.

I find most people really don't care that much anyways.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sure that I don't owe anyone an explanation, as to why I drink alcohol or not.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Flutter's response is one that I've used a lot, but the folks I hang around with usually don't ask too many questions. The response I recommend to anyone who's nervous about it is to say that you're on blood pressure medication and can't consume alcohol. That usually shuts them up. For the 5% who press the issue, tell them that it's stuff called Toprol, a very common bp med. Then change the subject.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just say that you truly are Rock N' Roll and thus don't drink. The ones who are worth knowing will know exactly what you mean! haha.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just tell people I have quit drinking. They always ask why, so then I tell them that I just thought it was time to take a break for my health. No one questions that, and I feel under no obligation to add that I expect the "break" to be a permanent one
Old 05-17-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
eng.

Answer "C" from me , allergic reaction - it make me sick and close to mortal exit .
Old 05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just say lets go , I not drinking tonight but I would like some company. Keep it simple.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

In all honesty, I have no problem saying,"No thanks, I'm a recovering alcoholic and addict."The reason I say this is because there have been more than a few times that someone I know will call me and say they know someone who is struggling with alcohol or drug addiction, they told this person about me and would I mind talking to them.

If I can help even one person find their way to Recovery, then any looks, questions or judgements is worth it to me. Besides, if someone has a "problem" with me being a recovering addict and alcoholic, I don't need them in my life.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I say No thanks (keep it simple)
Old 05-17-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I say I don't drink, used to, but it was a problem so I quit.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Those who know me do not ask me that question.
Those who don't know me receive a polite, "No thank you."
When i ask that question of myself, i ask another question.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not sure.....probably would say I don't drink, or no, thanks. It's no one's business why unless I want to tell them. Family, close friends, and other AA members know me. It's nobody else's business.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I posted this very question a few months back... isn't it funny how we feel that we need to give an explanation as to why we don't want a drink???

I mean... if someone at a dinner party asked me if I would like some potatoes & I said "no thanks" that would be the end of that (feel free to substitute any other food or non alcoholic drink).

Dare to say "no thanks" to an alcoholic beverage & people seem to feel that they have the right to ask you very personal questions about your decision.... crazy when you think about it.

After my long rambling post of options & situations that I could come up with I believe that someone posted something along the lines of "I hate to tell you this but you are not the center of the universe & people dont really care too much if you drink or not" Its actually true, most of the people that do ride you about it have a personal agenda of their own to deal with.

Best of luck in your recovery

P.S. I will try to find a link to my thread to post.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
Those who know me do not ask me that question.
Those who don't know me receive a polite, "No thank you."
When i ask that question of myself, i ask another question.
Nice! Had to re-quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It rarely happens, cause most of my friends don't drink, but if I'm asked I just say "no thanks, I don't drink" and that's the end of it. If I'm asked why I don't drink I just say "cause I don't like it". And if anyone keeps asking 'why' I just ask them why they want to know.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Being a recovered alcoholic is the least of my problems. In fact, it's sometimes my greatest asset. I don't go into the reasons I don't drink unless it's welcome and appropriate, then I'm not shy about it.

As problems go, me passing out in the bathroom, vomitting on the floor, or crashing cars on the way home were a lot more substantial than saying, "No thanks."