We went to our 1st Nar-Anon meeting!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile We went to our 1st Nar-Anon meeting!

Last night my brother and I went to our 1st Nar-Anon meeting in my town. He was too embarassed to go to one in his (30 minutes away). It was great to see other people who have experienced the craziness of having an addict under the same roof. My brother want able to share his story yet, but we got some literature and phone numbers. We heard some real good things that I took to heart about not causing the addiction. One lady brought up all the millions of people who have been brought up in poverty and abuse who are NOT addicts!!! My sis-in-law's tales about how we caused her to be an addict are getting so ridiculous its hard not to laugh in her face. That was after years of blaming her parents, now that they're dead and they left her income property, she needed someone else to blame. So its: #1 My brother - he was living at home with mom and dad when they got married. (Hmmmm... she moved in with him you'd think that in the 4 months before they got married she would have noticed the other people in the house!!) #2 Our older sister who is severely schizophrenic who was also living in the house then (thats right, blame the handicapped), now this sis is in a group home for the disabled so its on to ...#3 the SHEEP!!! Yes our little flock of sheep that run around the 2 acres keeping the weeds and brush from being a fire hazard (we live about 40 miles from Santa Barbara) is somehow causing her to run off in search of new drug stores to file her phony scrips!!!
In addition to Nar-Anon, my bro also looked up battered spouse info online and sees thats whats been done to him with all her raging, screaming fits. He's keeping a book of all he is doing for his mental, financial, and environmental recovery for his next custody hearing.
Me, I'm psyching myself into going in to the sheriff's office to file an eviction proceeding against my sis-in-law. I know she's going to be crying to me "what did I ever do to YOU???", but if thats what CPS wants to get my nephew back thats what I have to do.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember how I felt at my first Alanon meeting - scared to death - and then so totally amazed that those people were talking about what was going on in my home. And they were laughing!

They were so loving and encouraging - and literally saved my life as I walked the codie recovery path.

I am so glad that both of you went. And hope you keep going.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler

Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to my first one on Tuesday and totally agree, it was scary walking into a room of stranger. Funny walking out they felt like old friends. Julie
Old 05-15-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good reminder about the the benefit that comes from going F to F
Old 05-15-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you and he went. It sounds like he's getting all his ducks lined up in order to get his son back. Keep us updated! :ghug
Old 05-17-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Update on our efforts to regain custody of nephew: Saturday Dave (the Dad - my brother) held a little garage sale and made $50. Now he's set for gas money till the end of the month. THis morning I called him up, and he rattled off all the appointments he is going to next week - psyych, social worker.
I read thru the 40 plus page legal document of the CPS case against him and his addict wife. Most of it is against her. He admitted to some really dumb codie things to them, which I guess he'll plead guilty to. One thing they have charged against him they have wrong, which I'll explain to court.
Friday I called up to SHeriff's office about the eviction, and they said I will need to get a lawyer because she is a family member. Yuck - I wonder how much that will cost!!
I like to have garage sales because I get to meet people who live on our street. Its a really long street where most houses are set far back from the road. Most of the people who came over told us how nice our property was, which was good for us to hear. It will be a great place to live once we get the negative energy caused by drug addiction out. One thing we sold was an Accordion from 1930's Nazi Germany. We sold it to a Mexican laborer who came by on his bike. We didnt even think it was working anymore, but it came to life in his hands. I hope they have many years together making music out in the places where our food is grown.