Notices

Friday is here....again

Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday is here....again

I haven't posted here in awhile. I was always drinking when I did. Anyway, I am on day 25 of no drinking. I always go out to eat with my boyfriend on Friday and have a few beers before eating. We would go to fun places like hooters and others. Now that I am not drinking, going out to eat is no fun anymore. The noises bother me and I feel so tired. Is sobriety always so tiring? I don't remember the last time I went so many days without drinking so I don't know. Now I watch alot of television in the evening but it gets old. Just wonder if anyone else feels this way. Well better get to work.
TGIF!!!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A big part of recovery is learning how to live life without our crutch. You must learn new ways of coping without alcohol and new ways to occupy yourself that are not harmful.

Congrats on your sober days! Keep it up, one day at a time. It DOES get better!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back eeroo! Its great to see you again. I was definitely tired a lot in the beginning. I wasn't someone with insomnia. I understand the feeling of being bored as I was too, BUT when I really thought about it my life with drinking was more boring. I held up everyday in the house and drank wine and didn't go anywhere. Now I am free to actually - gasp! - leave the house in the evening and do things. Life will get better eeroo. Believe me when I say drinking isn't as exciting as your recollection is making it.

Be gentle with yourself Eeroo and again, glad you've returned.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you on recognizing your problem and stopping it in its tracks. Early in my sobriety I couldn't go to public places because I just couldn't deal w/others drinking when I wasn't. I still won't go to places where the primary business is alcohol because I find it very annoying. When people drink they get louder and louder and more stupid and I don't want to be a part of that. Even when I was drinking I would notice that if I went to a bar, say right after work, it would be fairly quiet and you could sit and have a decent conversation but as the hours went by the noise level increased dramatically. You could suggest to your boyfriend that you go to a place that is less rowdy where there the goal is something more than getting drunk,

J
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'm really happy you're back, and sober!!

My husband and I went out a LOT together when I drank.. it was really hard for me to just stop, or worse try to still go out for dinner at bar/restaurant type places and not drink. I still don't. We've found some really great restaurants to try instead, and just being in a different place whether alcohol is served or not, is helpful to me. We don't go to Chili's anymore, but there's a great bbq place we like right next door.. we don't go watch sports at the sports bar anymore, most restaurants nowadays have tvs everywhere. Just had to totally change all of my environments, and it's been really helpful. Also, he joins me in the not drinking thing, that is VERY helpful too. We're a team And it's been fun finding new things to do and get out of old habits.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congrats on your sober time. just dont pick up and things will get better.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Try replacing it with a different activity like a movie. I used to go out on Wednesdays after volunteering so now I go out to dinner with my husband. It has helped.
Congrats on your 25 days. That is really great!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on 25 days sober, I did not get sober to sit at home and watch TV, that is boring as heck!!! I got sober to LIVE LIFE!!!!!!

I was tired a lot in early sobriety, what amazed me was how I was not tired when I got off of my butt and did things, go places with my family, work on things around the house, taking a walk, going to the gym, to the pool, bowling, the movies and eating out at places that are not all about drinking like hooters, going to AA meetings, going on canoe trips and camping with AA friends, going to sober dances and parties, singing kareoke.

In early sobriety I really could not think of anything to do that did not involve drinking so I avoided doing anything, I have learned that every single thing I did while drinking I could do sober, I could do it better sober, and I remembered what I did the next day.

eeeroo the only reason I am ever bored is because I choose to be bored, you right now are choosing to be bored!

Get up and do something, explore the world, the world of sobriety has no limits, the majority of the world actually exist in it, not in a bar or hooters.

Choose to get up and find things to do, your options are wide open!

Think about how great it is to drive ANYWHERE and not be worried about getting pulled over and getting a DUI, think about LIFE!

Perhaps you could seek out other sober people and find out what they are doing, trust me the majority of sober people do not sit at home and watch TV!

Take a look at the traffic on the road, the majority of those people are sober either going to do something sober or going home from having done something sober.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That was one of my biggest problems- associating alcohol with having a good time. BIG TIME hurdle. So, I decided to drink some more until I FINALLY got it through my head that the days of having "fun" with alcohol were long gone. I began to associate booze with BAD HORRIBLE times, because that was all that I could remember after I had reached that stage. I hope that you DO NOT have to go through that. It's tough to stop drinking when you are young & you KNOW you have a problem. I would sit and fester & literally CRY about "the good old days"- seems so stupid now!!! They were anything but "good". My point is, I didn't have a snowballs chance of being sober until I came around to being DISGUSTED enough to want it out of my life. (!) I HAD TO CHANGE MY MINDSET.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
eng.

When "good time drinking" becomes "bad time drinking" then ..... is almost late to quit and ............life becomes impossible .........and the worst is that the border is invisible , grand danger sleeps in ambush.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mergirl

I hid out the first month or two, now I look forward to going out to eat because we don't argue over who will be the DD. Hang in there, it gets better.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eeeroo,

It just takes some time to adjust. Dinners out may be a little different, but you can still have fun. And, there are lots of things to do besides watching TV!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Taz is a much younger man than I am and thus has all this energy to stay hyper. You're very early into sobriety and will feel like you're on a roller coaster for some time. I'd suggest you go to a few AA meetings. It'll help pass the time and you'll meet some great people. And congratulations on 25 days. Just keep doing what you're doing and take it one day at a time. Believe it or not, it will get easier.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for sharing!!! I went to olive garden which is not really a place to get drunk but there were bottles of wine all over the place. When the waitress came and asked what I wanted to drink I really had to clench my teeth and say ssssssprite. Anyway the food was delicious, and I am now on day 26 getting ready to have a cup of coffee with nooooo hangover. My boyfriend has to push me to get out and do stuff once I'm out, I'm OK. Just that after drinking for almost 30 years it is harder to plan my evenings sober. I wish I could get a puppy but we live in a rented house. Puppys are so much fun especially when you lay on the floor and they 'attack' you.LOL.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Have you considered attending AA meetings?

That's where I found new non drinking friends
to hang out with. We do all sorts of activities
outside of meetings.

Good to know you are still sober...
Old 05-17-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is a woman's meeting at 2pm this afternoon, maybe I'll go,,I'm kind of shy and awkward around people I don't know when I don't drink. Its walking distance from my house so lets see what happens.