Notices

I'm new in here, but old at this...

Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Been Wrong For So Long"

I'm new in here, but old at this...

Hello Everybody,
I'm here and glad I found this site. I'm a repeat offender when it comes to alcohol and drugs. I have been admitted to various hospitals for detox many times and even an ocassional psycho. ward. I know the ins and outs of all the various treatments for alcohol and drugs and haven't found them to be usefull to me. I'm here to try this approach simply because it's new to me.
I'll try anything at this point. I can't seem to stop my addictive behaviours to save my life, literally. I've had two seizures and came close to death both times. The only thing that saved me was I happened to be in hospitals and was rushed to ICU. I've been told many times by various doctors and different
people that continuing this behaviour would ultimatley kill me. I agree. It will.
Anyway, I'm currently undergoing reconstructive hand surgeries(had 3 so far) from an injury I sustained at work. My surgeon prescribes darvocet,
percocet and norco depending on the level of pain I'm experiencing. I take 3 of each at a time and drink whiskey to wash them down. My tolerance is so high from prior alcohol and drug abuse that I require a mega dose just to be able to sleep. I've managed to stop drinking since 12/1/09. My last surgery was 4 months ago so I've also managed to stop taking the medication prescribed to me. I fear this will fade due to my past history of abuse. I would invite any feedback from any of you out there as I obviously feel that I
don't have any control over my situation and what little I do have will soon fail me. Thanks for the opportunity to share and God Bless. I do believe in God by the way.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Cant give you any feedback on your medicatiion...no experience there sorry. I am sure there will be plenty here to support you.

I've managed to stop drinking since 12/1/09.
I just wanted to wish you well and well done on quitting the booze. Im a sober alcoholic thanks to AA.
Welcome here
Old 05-14-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Hello there. Welcome to SR.

If you have a fierce believe that there is a purpose in this life through God, then maybe you might need to surrender yourself to the fact that you are powerless and let him take over from now on. I personally donīt even have strong beliefs in humankind, let alone having any beliefs in the otherworldly, which makes it difficult to find a meaning to anything.. STILL i have a bit of faith on myself, so i just do what it feels right, right now, which is staying sober fiercely: just for myself.

Stick around, SR is a wonderful place.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you've found that the various treatments for drug and alcohol abuse haven't been very useful, then you're not going to get much out of this site. For treatment to work, you really have to want it to work. You have to want to stop more than you want to use. And until you reach that point, you're wasting your time. I'm not trying to be discouraging here, just honest. You're is bad shape my friend if you worry your doctors. And unless you do something drastic, you have a very short life ahead of you.

There is help available all around you, but you have to want it. You seem to want it a little bit since you've got a few months of sobriety and being clean behind you. Now's the chance to parlay that into something bigger. Go to AA/NA. But this time give it a chance. Sit there and listen. Talk to people. We've all been down similar roads and will be only too happy to share our experiences with you. But you have to want it. Do you?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

Nothing quite like face to face support.