Notices

For those of you who have been in group therapy (not AA)

Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

I started my IOP this week...It's nice to get out, meet new people, and know I'm on my way to getting help...it gives me some structure to my day..but I notice alot of times there is one or two people in the group who take up most of the time talking about their family/financial problems, and things seem to go off topic...There isn't an equal amount of time given out between the 10 pple who are in the room...One therapist seems to cut them off when they keep going, but the rest keep letting them go on with it...There is nothing wrong with talking about your problems/feelings...that's what we are here for...but when someone takes up half the time, I think that is a little unfair...Is this how it usually works? I also notice the therapists pointing out what the problems are, but they don't seem to get into how to go about finding coping skills to deal with issues instead of turning to alcohol...maybe in time they will...I am definitely going to keep going, I know everything takes time..... Also...I notice there are alot of drug addicts that are in the group also...I don't care it doesn't bother me, I get along with everyone...but is that how it usually goes? I was always under the impression the groups were separated in to alcoholism and narcotics abuse.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sweets, It's not unusual to mix addicts and alcoholics in group therapy. They will separate them for N/A and AA meetings, however. If you feel that a few are taking the time of many in discussions, talk it over with the therapist or other members of the group. Glad to hear you're hanging in there. And it wouldn't hurt to ask the therapist for a recommended solution to a problem. They usually prefer for each person to arrive at an answer themselves, but I wouldn't hesitate to ask for an answer. Make them earn their salary. Besides, I sort of like to yank peoples chains once in a while.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They don't separate them at this center for AA meetings,and someone else told me she goes to AA and they have people from NA in there also...some NA people are in there also...and yeah I was gonna talk to the therapist about the first thing I posted about.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am in a group therapy session... sort of mandated... job thing.

I don't prefer group to AA. I wont say I hate group, though I resent HAVING to go, I just get a whole lot more out of AA.

You betcha... the "therapy" always hangs on one or two people... I think it's just a group dynamic sort of thing... It can get under my skin. But, I leave my impatience at the door.... I'll just make myself nuts because I can't just stop going.

Give me AA any day of the week.... But that's just me and my experience, others here may feel differently....

Mark
Old 05-13-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I liked group therapy because I wasn't ready to talk, and others talked for me. It was very much like you described, Sweets.

At some point I had to quit group therapy, it wasn't meant to go on endlessly.

I think AA & NA meetings when they have open discussion or round robin is a GREAT form of group therapy, for me, and now I am usually always ready to talk.

Be sure to explore all of the options.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did do group therapy for my depression.
I quickly switched to private.

Once I quit drinking....did not need either.

bTW.....AA is not group therapy
it's focus is recovery from alcoholism.
however the AA Steps have given me coping skills.

All my best as you continue to move forward
Old 05-13-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sweets. My group is mixed too (about 50/50). Although I find it interesting to listen to the addicts (mostly perscription opiates) I would probably perfer an all alcohol group as there are some major differences between the two. As for certain people hogging all the time, interrupting, or yakking about stuff off topic, the group facilitator should be controlling that. Some do a better job than others. Most of the best coping skills suggestions come from other group members. Did you get a chance to share?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rad44 View Post
Sweets. My group is mixed too (about 50/50). Although I find it interesting to listen to the addicts (mostly perscription opiates) I would probably perfer an all alcohol group as there are some major differences between the two. As for certain people hogging all the time, interrupting, or yakking about stuff off topic, the group facilitator should be controlling that. Some do a better job than others. Most of the best coping skills suggestions come from other group members. Did you get a chance to share?
I did share...there's just this one woman always yakkin about her kids and blablablabla..she takes up the whole time, and another dude too...but yeah I did speak a little bit...and if she keeps going sometimes I will just interrupt her ass, because the therapist doesn't stop her....it's fine to vent, but c'mon.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

All group therapy was for me was bitch session. Everyone talked about how depressed they were, the therapist would say "so, how did you feel about that," and then we all went home. Nuff said.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovinmenow View Post
All group therapy was for me was bitch session. Everyone talked about how depressed they were, the therapist would say "so, how did you feel about that," and then we all went home. Nuff said.
That is what this is feeling like...
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Bless your heart for clarifying this often misunderstood myth. AA is not group therapy, nor is it a self help group. If I could help myself, I sure wouldn't need the 12 steps.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I did do group therapy for my depression.
I quickly switched to private.

Once I quit drinking....did not need either.

however the AA Steps have given me coping skills.

All my best as you continue to move forward
I know the difference between AA and group therapy.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Excuse me......I was mislead by your title
Wishing you all the best life offers.....
Old 05-14-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If the therapist/leader of the group sessions isn't laying out clear guidelines as to how long one person can talk, then they aren't doing their job. Group therapy is just that, therapy for a group, and its purpose is ignored or watered down if just a few people are taking up all the time. I would sure as hell take my complaint to the therapist/leader and if the problem persisted, I'd go to the 'higher ups' about it. Group therapy can't be beneficial if just a few people are taking up most of the time and leaving little or no time for the rest to speak.

There is sometimes a similar situation in my home group at AA. It's a discussion group and we go around the tables sharing our thoughts on the topic. Some people, usually the same people, talk 'forever', leaving less time for the rest to share. I brought this up in private with the group chair, and he addressed the time limit for sharing, but 'some people' just don't look at the clock or even think about how long they're going on. It's frustrating and defeats the purpose of it being a discussion group if the whole group doesn't have the opportunity to speak due to the thoughtless attitude of some.

I'd sure bring it to the group leader's attention tho, so that they can address it plainly and directly at the beginning of the group.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just curious -

Why do some consider open discussion and round robin format at an AA meeting to be different than group therapy?

(At meetings around here we talk about whatever is on our hearts or minds.)
Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Just curious -

Why do some consider open discussion and round robin format at an AA meeting to be different than group therapy?

(At meetings around here we talk about whatever is on our hearts or minds.)
Good question, I'll try to answer.
In formal group therapy the facilitator has specific training.Usually A master's level or Phd education. The facilitator has clear objectives and outcomes for the group, he/she understands the complexities of group dynamics, is aware of counter transference issues and a whole host of other issues that come into play in a group context.

So, while some folks find discussion type round robin meetings helpful, I would not be quick to label it "therapy". I like to get feedback on my mental health status from qualified people. By the way, I am a clinical therapist, so I share this information from 1st hand experience, not opinion.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me... If I am going to share at a open discussion meeting, and for now I rarely do... (...gee go figure, I have no problem opening my mouth here...) I feel a responsibility to discuss only my problems with alcohol and more importantly to discuss them in some way that is related to the steps, recovery and spirituality.... and, if possible, to describe my experiences in trying to find serenity and maybe give a newcomer hope.

Group therapy... my car broke down, I don't like a person at work, my wife doesn't understand....

Mark
Old 05-14-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

oops

Last edited by Mark75; 05-14-2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: double post
Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have in the past been known to interrupt (If the therapist fails to) when someone is rambling with no end in sight about their dog, ex-wife, money, employemnt, by saying "I'm sorry, does this tie into ALCOHOL RECOVERY at some point?". That usually does the trick.

Last edited by Rad44; 05-14-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: add something.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

2 of my sponsees were court ordered through this state run program which includes group therapy once or twice a week depending upon how they are doing for almost a year, and of course we would discuss what they got out of group therapy. Both of them said they got a little bit out of group therapy but for the most part they said group therapy for them was a whole group of people whining about their problems and little else.

They both also said that they really prefered AA discussion meetings to group therapy because one person would bring a topic on alcoholism and recovery to the table and the rest of the meeting would be speaking about "The Solution" different people had found through the steps and the fellowship to a particular topic.

In a nut shell they both said "If I want to hear about peoples problems I go to group, if I want to hear Solutions to problems related to alcoholism and recovery I go to an AA meeting."

This is not my experince, I have never had group therapy, this is what my sponsee's shared with me in regards to thier group therapy, they also are now done with that state run program and are attending more AA meetings now. Oh yea and BTW in less then 2 weeks both of them will be picking up thier one year chips.

I have had one on one therapy and did find it helpful, but even then it was more the therapist guiding me to a recognition to what my problem was and me actually finding the solution to it. Nothing in the world wrong with that, I had some things tearing me up inside yet I had no idea what they were, the therapist helped me to see the real problem, once I knew what the problem/problems were I was able to deal with them.

LOL I am having to laugh at myself, I have been in group therapy!! When I was in detox we had goup at least once, sometimes twice a day and in a nutshell all it did was lead me and others to see we had a problem with either alcohol, drugs or both, the solution offered by the counselors was either AA, NA, or both. I really did not need the group to help me figure out I was an alcoholic and I thank God they suggested AA as a solution, because it was for me.