Husband left detox saturday- Still seems Drunk

Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband left detox saturday- Still seems Drunk

Hi Everyone-
this is my first post and I am very new to all of this. My husband got home from detox Saturday (not rehab, strictly detox) - He was there for 11 days, it was his first attempt at detox, but he still seems drunk to me. His speech is slurred he can't walk straight and I think he's drinking still. Is is possible that he is still experiencing effects of the medication he was given in detox? He was given Libirum up until Friday.
He swears that he is not drinking and I can't smell it or find it, but he is VERY good at hiding it. We acutally are having a baby this year that we decided to conceive after he had already led me to believe he was maintaining sobriety.
I have so many other questions about what to expect, but for now anybody with any info about this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

I've no idea how it would have affected your husband, but when my brother had librium he seemed drunk for a few days after he stopped taking them, and I know he wasn't because we we're told to closely supervise him by the doctor, so he never had access to drink nor was he able to get his own for that few days at least.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If he hasn't had any Librium since last Thursday, I find it hard to believe he's still feeling the effects of that.

Since you will now be bringing a baby into the equation, my question to you is what are your boundaries? What are you willing to live with/not live with?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well, let me stir the pot a bit more, there are 2 other children in our home- his from a previous marriage and mine.
I don't buy for a minute that its still the librium, I just got home and found him asleep for the second time today. I also dont buy that alcohol is his ONLY problem, but it seems to be the only one he will admit to/deal with.

I have pretty much decided to leave if there are anymore slip ups. This has gone too far and he has done nothing but blame me (i.e he drinks to tolerate me, I drink in front of him- I'm pregnant and not drinking by the way) He also has not seriously worked in well over 6 months and even after coming home doesn't have any interest in finding work. He wants to be self employed, even though he doesn't have the discipline and will not go to work for anybody else.

I don't want to abandon my husband in his time of crisis, but I feel like he is expecting somebody to fix this for him (he's already said he went to detox because he wanted somebody to give him something to get this all out of his system) and I just feel like I can't do it right now and that he needs to have the desire to fix it himself!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor and this isn't advise, but Librium's not given to get alcohol out of his system. It's given to combat the symptoms of acute alcohol withdrawal, especially the anxiety. It's smoothing over his worst withdrawal symptoms...but it's not a sure ticket to recovery. And the symptoms are as you describe them.....but only a doctor can tell you whether he still ought to be showing them at this point. I know from experience with my siblings that it does have a very long half-life (the effects lasted for days in one)

The bigger issue is whether you want to live with someone who blames, belittles, lies, and doesn't seem to take responsibility for himself. That's why we always advise people to keep the focus on themselves. Decide whether this is how you want to live. Decide whether this is how you want your children to grow up to be, because they do learn by modeling. If you have boundaries, make sure you're clear in your mind on where specifically they lie (i.e. I will make a move to protect us if X happens)

Have you thought about trying Al-Anon meetings to get face-to-face support from others going through the craziness of living with alcoholism? I know it helped me a lot.