Letting Them "Hit Bottom" How? - Scared

Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting Them "Hit Bottom" How? - Scared

I understand there must be consequences and the addict must "hit bottom" to accept recovery. My question is, how do you do this when it is Oxycotin. I'm afaid bottom is death with overdose. I had to take him to the emergency room once for narcane? I guess it is leap of faith and prayer?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

Very sad and very scary.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Seahunt))

Welcome to SR!

It is true, that most addicts have to "hit bottom" before we are willing to seek recovery. I'm an RA (recovering addict), but I'm also a codie (codependent) with loved ones who are addicts, both in recovery and still active.

This site is full of information and support. I hope you read the "stickies" - the posts at the top of this forum. The more you learn about addiction, the better. Ultimately, however, you will understand about the 3 c's..you didn't cause it, you can't change it, and you can't cure it (addiction). Al-anon or nar-anon meetings are a great help to loved ones of addicts.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope you keep coming back. This site has helped me through many days and nights. It helps so much just knowing that someone sincerely cares about YOU.:ghug3
Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Impurrfect tells a story kind of like mine.

Nar Anon or Al Anon can help a lot. I know it really helped me to keep my hands off my fathers recovery, or lack thereof.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As much as it scares us and we don't want to admit it, for some addicts, death IS their bottom. Only the addict can decide when enough is enough. Just like only we codies can decide when we've had enough - not our friends or family deciding for us. It is sad, but addiction is a chronic, deadly disease - - and unless the addict chooses treatment and sobriety, death WILL be the result. Unfortunately, all you can do is let him take the path he chooses and hand him over to his HP (higher power). I pray for your sake that his bottom comes soon, and not in the form of death.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

What helped me to step back and stop protecting was the realization that a counselor helped me see that the more I protected and sheltered and attempted to control the uncontrollable (stop my daughter using) the more I was "filling in the hole" so she could not hit bottom. I was actually prolonging her active use.
You're right that it often takes blind faith to make that leap and let them find their own way, but coming here, meetings and/or counseling provide the support for you to move from blind faith to a better way.