Notices

I quit drinking!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I quit drinking!

Yes, I do... And that's why I am here with you guys.

I am 26 years old, living in Germany and have been drinking for years. I can't put a finger why I started to drink on a daily basis but I know my biggest problem right now is that I am unemployed (and have been for quite some time), thus lots of free time. I used to drink to make the time pass by. I decided to quit a couple of weeks ago, went to detox to the hospital for like 7 days. Thought I'd need that (was afraid that I would have any physical reactions, wasn't the case though...). I plan to do it without detox in the hospital this time around. I'd have a hard time get my doctor to send me there anyway. I am not yet "physical addicted", no shakes etc. when not drinking, so I should be okay. I have told someone close to me about the quit to have an eye on me (or at least call me regulary...) to make sure though.

Anyway, yeah... I went through the detox and did not drink for about 3 weeks. Not sure what happend then, but I kinda decided that I made it, it's been so easy to quit (it really wasn't but you know the story...) and so I got me some beer again. I have definitely proven myself that I know no borders with alcohol, so lesson learned...

I have an appointment with an addiction counselor tomorrow. I plan to ask them about ambulant treatment (therapy sessions including single and group talks...).

I think that's all for a first little introduction. I am glad I found this place. I'll make good use of it! :-)

Read you all,
LT
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WELCOME & CONGRATS!!!

I could never have imagined how much better my life would be sober & in active recovery.

I hope you will stick around.........and build a new life.

Thomas
Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks 1day@atime!

I am sure you are right. I really want to "get in shape" again (gained like 22lbs in a year or so from all the beer and unhealty fa(s)t food...) and spend a lot of time outdoors.

I love the sun, I love spend time in the sun, read and enjoy the time. It's just that alcohol keept me "indoors" most of the time. It's May, summer is almost here and the weather is great... There could be no better time to finally pull this off.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

:ghug Hi LT ,
and welcome to the family !!!
I'm glad I found your post .
You've already made some good decisions and ' first steps ' in starting new life .

I would say my biggest problem was drinking , drinking too much and too often . NOT employment or unemployment .
First thing first one day at a time .
* quiting
* recovery program
* staying sober
* the rest

When I was drinking I could find and loose 101 jobs a week !!
I don't want to come back to those days .

Keep posting , warmly , witt
Btw I would consider AA meeting
Old 05-12-2009, 02:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks witt44! You are right. The problem is not the (un)employment, it's just that alcohol made that fact more acceptable for me. My priorities are on myself first and then finding work... It won't work the other way around for long anyway.

I am going to join a group defintely. I am not sure whether it's going to be AA or something different. There are quite a few around here in my town (Yeah, I am lucky I know...)... I'll wait for the talk with the counseler tomorrow though. Maybe go and see a group tomorrow night then...
Old 05-12-2009, 02:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow 26 is a great age to deal with this crap IMO!

I'm 37 and going into rehab on Sunday, still can't quite believe it's gone this far!

Advice i got at 26 was to head down AA where there are similar people working a program to get sober and stay sober, of course i ignored this advice, as i did at 30 as well. Hmmm 'funny' that i end up going to a 12 step recovery rehab that leads onto AA!

Done everything else, resonnance treatment (unbelievable?!), counselling, medication, as well as all the BS like drinking at weekends, only drinking beer/wine, drinking after a certain hour, not drinking at home, drinking only at home, new partners and only drinking with them, moving country, changing job, exercising, not exercising, changing careers, getting on with my family, not getting on with my family, making new friends, losing friends etc etc

I wish you the very best and hope you DO understand and make this the most important thing in your life to deal with, please don't waste 11 years...jazz it up how you want to, it's been a waste:-)

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Lovetoday welcome to SR and congrats on your decision.

I have learned there is a huge difference between an alcoholic that just stops drinking and an alcoholic the stops drinking and gets into recovery.

When I simply stopped drinking some how I always wound up drinking again.

Once the pain of drinking became great enough and I was willing to admit to myself that my way of staying stopped did not work, I got detoxed and got into a long term recovery program, that was over 2 1/2 years ago and today I live life on lifes terms sober and happy. The solution I found to my drinking was the program and fellowship of AA.

I would suggest getting into some type of long term recovery program to increase your odds of staying sober, because every detox is usually worse then the last one and every relapse is usually worse then the last one as well.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

welcome and congrats!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yes, and here I am.............

AT 51!!!!

NO reason to wait a minute longer to build a better life*.

* with no reference to the old one
Old 05-12-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I remember when I was 26 . . . if I only knew then what I know now! If I only knew that while in active addiction, the pain only got worse. And if I only knew that my life in Recovery could be sooooo wonderful, I'd have saved myself 17 more years of misery. But I've learned from my many mistakes and know that my way didn't work at all. It's funny how all these good intentions never lasted but a few days.

I found myself by working the 12 Steps, after nearly 4 years I'm still discovering who I am, I've forgiven others for past hurt and myself as well. Today I can live my life without the guilt and shame that kept me out there using for so many years.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

God, how different my life would have been if I had gotten sober at 26. Allow me to jump on the bandwagon here and suggest you try AA. I know it saved my life.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! To get sober at your age is just about the smartest thing a person could do. Learn from the 'oldies' here. We care. Get sober!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! This is Day 2 (just got up, time difference and all the stuff...). Went to bed early, slept not too bad to be honest.

Yes, everyone I am talking to about this says that quitting at 26 is the best I could possibly do. I know it's true... but then, it's not all that easy. Going to the appointment with the counseler today and see what they suggest to do. I am basically open for everything, although I would prefer not to do any "in-patient" stuff for a few weeks or something. But yeah, I know that might just be what I need to distance myself a bit and start new. I'll post here after the meeting.

Oh and regarding AA: There are several groups here in my town, so I will check one or two of them during this week. Maybe even tonight...
Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome and congratulations on getting another day sober!!
If you keep moving forward you will not be going backwards.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Back again for Day 3. I am having a hard time resisting right now. I don't know why, I am just bored... don't really know what to do today and also don't have that much money to spend to go for the cinema, zoo or whatever could keep me busy later today.

I went to one of the offices offering advice. They suggested group and one on one therapy and I'd be able to start with it next week. Liked the lady I was talking to, was good talking to her, so I think that's a fit.

Hopefully I'll be able to stay sober till this kicks off. Let's fight that demon!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Love today. Day three, hold on to it.
I drank on day three twice now. Didn;t drink thursday or friday, drank sunday. Didn't monday or tuesday, drank last night.

I hope to get past this roadblock.... Don't make the same mistake I did. I didn't even fight it the last few times. Should have but just caved.. Fight it Love today...
Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just stay here and chat all day if you have to. Last night when I was fighting my inner demons I was on here reading posts and just looking and it made me feel so much better. Whatever you do, don't let that inner demon beat you. You can do it!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If I might suggest: if all it took was my willpower, I'd have quit a looooong time ago.

BUT, lack of power is my dilemma. I don't have the power to quit.

Does that make any sense?