stopping cold turkey and WD symptoms?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stopping cold turkey and WD symptoms?

Ok, AH over the weekend stopped drinking. Prior to that, he was telling me he was cutting down...just how much, not sure. He is a closet drinker, not the bar type at all and hides it usuaslly in the trunk in the car in water bottles. Recently had been drinking vodka as opposed to wine...whatever...still alcohol. I don't look for it but occasionally find it.

Well, anyway on Friday, I just could not take it any longer and had an all out sob about this whole 20+ years of his drinking on and off. It just built up. Well, I think he at that point decided to just quit. I know on his own is not good to do as it can become dangerous.

On Saturay morning, he was doing some things around the house and came upstairs to tell me he was extremely tired and just could do no more. I told him to go lay down and that nothing was that urgent that needed to be done around the house. Yes he is a perfectionist and neat freak so things out of order or not done, bother him. anyway, he took my advice and went to bed. Slept on and off the rest of the day and told me just how awful he felt. I can only imagne the withdrawal was not pleasant. I asked if he wanted to go to the hospital but of course he said no. He buys his insurance now because of a job loss last year, coverage is not not great with a high deductable so I am sure this is into play. He is now self employed so there is no employer he needs to answer to, only himself.

Nonetheless I was concerned but kept an eye on him. Yesterday, he was better, however still tired. We did manage to go out to dinner with my teenagers (19 and 15) with him for Mother's Day. He came home and went to bed by 8pm.

Right now, he is still sleeping it is 8:50 am. I know he slept on and off all night.

Anyone out there that has gone thru withdrawal on their own experience anything similar? How long will this last? He also has a sugar problem as well (type 2 diabetes) but does not take his meds at all for that because he had been drinking and the 2 should not be mixed.

Suggestions, comments welcome.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Withdrawal is always difficult, and it's different with each person.

If he needs your help, he will ask. Personally, I would keep communication open between you -- let him know you're there to help if he wants -- but otherwise, please, try to let him work through this on his own. There are doctors, internet resources, etc. for him if he wants them.

I don't understand why he's not taking his medication now, since he's not drinking? Anyway, again, his life, his choices, his problem. Let him sleep, exercise, veg out, whatever he needs to do. Try to focus on you and the kids if you can.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am NOT a Doctor. However, I went through COLD TURKEY and ended up in the hospital DEAD. You can read my story here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-my-story.html

Withdrawing from Alcohol is very DANGEROUS. As your AH is also a diabetic who has NOT been taking his meds, watch him VERY CLOSELY, you may end up calling for an ambulance.

He will probably not feel like eating much of anything. Offer him lots and lots of water, gatorade or something like it (dehydration is also deadly, especially in diabetics), maybe some bland chicken broth or bland foods.

He could sail through this with no problem to speak of at all, but based on how you say he has been drinking his body is going to be craving MORE and that can cause seizures.

Time to do some reading for your own edification:

Symptoms of Alcohol Withdrawal

Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome - March 15, 2004 - American Family Physician

I personally would at least call your family doctor and let him know what is going on.

Over my own years in recovery, I have sat with many a person going through withdrawal, and in many instances have had to call an ambulance.

I just DO NOT recommend that one do it by themselves anymore, as there are just too many things that can go wrong.

Sending prayers to you your and your AH that he gets through this with enough sickness to REMEMBER it and fortify his decision to quit, that he finds recovery, that you find recovery for you, and that your family can slowly heal from this.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't want to scare you, just make you aware of this possibility.
My brother went through terrible withdrawals including hallucinations which put him and those with him at risk. He tried to do it alone against his doctors advice.
Actually, yes, I do want to scare you a little bit, you have your kids around. Call emergency services as soon as you think you need to, especially as he has diabetes.
Withdrawing from alcohol alone and without medical supervision isn't pretty.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My AH just got out of the hospital - he was in two weeks because he tried to withdraw on his own. I came one from work to find him acting totally off the wall - he was hallucinating, hearing voices, vomiting, sweating, had a seizure, and hadn't slept in days. He ended up on a ventilator for ten days and almost died. If I hadn't called 911 he probably would have. PLEASE don't let him withdraw without medical supervision, it is way too dangerous.

Big hugs and good luck!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just an update on AH. Well, after spending an entire day in bed (Saturday), then the next day only half a day in bed, he managed to take myself and kids out for mothers day to a restaurant. He did get a little emotional which raised a red flag but I also know that it could just be the roller coaster of not drinking as well. However, not sure.

On Monday, he got up 8ish and put a suit on and went to work. He is in outside sales for himself so he is free to go where he pleases. I was a little skeptical as he usually sleeps in and does not go to work until about noon on the days he does go. However, I thought perhaps he was somewhat on the mend and wanted to get back into some normalcy. Of course on the reverse side of things, I thought that he could have been going to the state store (liquor store in PA) for his morning brew so to speak because he may not have been able to stand it any longer. He stayed out all day when he returned he stated how tired he was. He did eat dinner but was in bed by 730pm.

Yesterday, once again, he was in bed for most of the day and went no where. I asked him last night how he was doing and once again he stated he was just tired. I also asked if he had had a drink and he faguedly stated he was doing his best...which I know means that he had had something somewhere along the line. Yes I know how dangerous it is to stop cold turkey. He was in full inhouse rehab 18 years ago for total detox and he told me he was "much sicker" back then (drank fifth of vodka a day) and still functioned. I told him however, he is much older almost 50 and its taken its toll on his body so I believe he is probably worse now than then. At least he had youth on his side before.

I know he wants to shake this but I believe he is having a very hard time without the professional help he should get. What does one do? Intervention? With his new insurance that he has, his old doctor is not a participant so at this point he does not even have a GP.

Suggestions/ comments welcome. many thanks to all.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"What does one do" ? Member, you seem to be still under the impression that there's something you can do or say that will affect this situation. He will drink, or not drink, or go to the doctor, or not go to the doctor, or take his meds, or not take his meds. There is little you can do to control his life.

It is hard to realize that it's all in his hands. But it is. His sobriety and his health are up to him. Your life -- whether you want to continue living with this, and whether YOU get help for yourself -- is up to you. Hugs to you
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks, I know I can not control another persons actions, especially AH's drinking. I suppose that when one lives and sees it before their eyes, it is hard to walk away. Oh yes, I do many times but the fact remains, I am human and we all know we faulter some times, as to A's in their recovery.

I do take care of myself and children and we all discuss this together as a family (without him) which helps. My daughter who recently found out about all of this (as I said he was a functional closet drinker) wants to talk with him from her perspective. While I have told her (age 15) that it is ultimately his decision, perhaps something from her could influence him in some way?? I know, wishful thinking once again but I figured, if she and possibly my son (19) don't try, we will never know will we? So I told her to go for it (without me there). After all, what is there to lose at this point? If she does not talk with him, she may regret it. My AH is very sensitive to his kids (and me) and I know he will at least listen. From what he hears, it will be up to him to either get help or not or try like he is to go it alone.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is entirely up to him.

BUT.

(And here, I might differ from some other folks here.)

I don't sugar-coat anything for the addicts in my life, nor do I protect them from others' honesty. If someone wants to approach them and be honest with them how they feel, I am the last person to try and discourage that. It might be important for your daughter's healing to get this out of herself and say what she needs to say. Her feelings might be something he's not aware of -- that he really is damaging something he (I assume) holds dear. Who knows.

But she -- and you -- will need to understand 100% that it may not make any difference in his behavior -- and in your daughter's case, you need to make sure she knows that it's not a reflection on her if she doesn't "save him" with her words. My motto is 'keep your expectations in check, but be as honest as you need to be for your own sanity.'

That's where things like Al-Anon and Alateen can really help. Alcoholism is a powerful and wily enemy, and it's important that your kids know as much about it as you do. As an adult child of alcoholics, I know that I would not have suffered nearly as much as I did, if I'd known then what I know NOW about the disease.

I'm glad you're talking with your kids, member. It's so important. My biased perspective, for sure, but....
Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

When I was your daughters age, my father suggested I try to "get through" to my mom, and tell her how I felt about how her drinking was destroying me, and our family. That was a horrible placement of responsibility on me, and my fragile being. It had nothing to do with telling her how I felt. Then she continued to drink, and I had failed.. and she showed me then how little she cared about what I had said. I don't think it is responsible to expect your kids to participate in 'helping' him to quit, none of you can do that.. You need to establish some boundaries and rules in your house, you are the adult here, please don't entangle your kiddos into the sickness.. it's sad to me.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
When I was your daughters age, my father suggested I try to "get through" to my mom, and tell her how I felt about how her drinking was destroying me, and our family. That was a horrible placement of responsibility on me, and my fragile being. It had nothing to do with telling her how I felt. Then she continued to drink, and I had failed.. and she showed me then how little she cared about what I had said. I don't think it is responsible to expect your kids to participate in 'helping' him to quit, none of you can do that.. You need to establish some boundaries and rules in your house, you are the adult here, please don't entangle your kiddos into the sickness.. it's sad to me.
Thanks so much for sharing that, Flutter. I was hoping someone would come along who had been put in that position that kids shouldn't be put in. :ghug :ghug
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

I think the best advice i have seen around SR about these sorts of questions was:

Get help. Detox. Stay away from the boards.

Seriously. Most people have a saying in detoxing and the w.d of others, which
is absolutely horrible if you ask me, from a medical and spiritual point of view.
Who has enough fun with inducing worries and anxiety to others? that is tough
internet love? do you really "care" if you have to "scare"?

Professionals should assist your husband if it gets bad, not internet nicknames.

Hope he is doing well. Sending some strength to you and him. Hopefully he will
find SR on its own: in his quest for sobriety.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlkalikeH View Post
I think the best advice i have seen around SR about these sorts of questions was:

is absolutely horrible if you ask me, from a medical and spiritual point of view.

Professionals should assist your husband if it gets bad, not internet nicknames.

Would you prefer me to have said withdrawals probably wont be too bad so just ignore it all?

And if it was me you were reffering to, you'll notice I did say call emergency services as soon as needed.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AH attempted to stop awhile back (I actually thought he did until recently) no detox, meetings or rehap, just stayed home. The doc advised him to hydrate and eat 3 bananas a day for potassium, take thiamine and to eat 5 small meals a day.
I don't know how effective this is, but it seemed to work for him at the time.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlkalikeH View Post

H, I know you take this issue up on a few boards, I'll respond to this one specifically. Member came here asking for experience and ideas. Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. Reality is scary sometimes.. horrifying even. However, if I scare someone safe.. I'll be fine with that. I'd rather not dump the sand on their head as they're burying themselves in it. fluffy half assed advice and flowers and unicorns about something DEADLY serious are much more frightening to me than sharing our truth and experience and deep hearted concern about a situation we've been through that is similar. I will never ever apologize for scaring someone into a safer situation, it IS scary.. as it should be.

Member, I'm sorry for the temporary hijacking. Thank you for asking for our thoughts.. I hope everything is ok!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

My 2 cents, in flutter's case, she was sent to go there and talk..

member is not sending her daughter, she is the one who wants to talk about this. IMHO she is already an adolescent and if she wants to talk, its between her and her dad.

BUT I agree its essential for you to make sure your kids know they

did not cause it
cannot control it
cannot cure it

I hope your kids understand this
I hope their dad can consider his kids and use it as a motivation to move forward
I hope he can get medical advice/help, prevention is key
I hope you keep being strong and continue being a voice of sanity for your kids

Also, I do not consider us "Internet names", we are an online support community offering experience, strength and hope.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by member31986 View Post
While I have told her (age 15) that it is ultimately his decision, perhaps something from her could influence him in some way?? I know, wishful thinking once again but I figured, if she and possibly my son (19) don't try, we will never know will we?
That's where I got stuck, I guess I read it wrong. I thought she was being encouraged to "try" to "influence" him.

My bad! I'll back out now, my own experience is obviously clouding my objectivity. Thanks for pointing it out Taking!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

No flutter, thanks to you for sharing your view. I am sad you were given that role and yes, member's post shows some wishful thinking at that part
Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Actually, I had a long talk with him just today. After he tried all night to "just hold me" in bed, I pretended to be sleeping, he was rambling on about how much he loves me and loves to be with me and all he wanted to do was hold his wife. Well, I said absolutely nothing at all, and today I got up, took a nice long walk, cleaned my d's room and he finally got up around 10am. He acted normal as did I and I said nothing about last night.

Thru this week, he has been trying to WD on his own. I know bad idea. He currently drinks vodka but have no idea how much. He told me today that he needs to have it everyday and quiting is "very difficult". I have encouraged him to at least go to the docs but to no avail. at this point. I know he wants to quit and I have told him I can not be with him sexually until he is clean, end of that story anyway.

Well, I know quitting cold turkey can be dangerous and not sure where I read this (SR?) but somehwere it claimed that drinking beer or wine was better for tappering off. Yes I know that still means he has not bottomed out and all that and really is not ready to actually quit. He wants it on his terms (after I suggested switching to something with less alcohol content-I must be crazy I know) We all know that he should be in rehab but if he is not willing to go, I guess we will try this route. The next would possibly be an intervention. Has anyone every done that? He has no family as was an only child and both parents deceased. he does have a few good friends that are aware of the situation.

Comments please. He looks terrible, like a drinker, red face, bloodshot/yellowis tinge to eyes-liver I know, beer belly, and is always tired. Since he is now self employed, he can go to work when he pleases, which recently has not bee too often. I do not currently work. 2 kids, 15, 19 years of age well aware of the situation but he hides it well most of the time.

Thanks a bunch
Old 05-15-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tapering off is a horrible idea, trust me, I tried it for years.

He *should* call his doctor, and be completely honest about how much he drinks, and that he wants to QUIT. His doctor will advise him as to next steps, but I can guarantee the prescription will not include more alcohol.

What are you willing to do, what boundaries (other than withholding sex) are you prepared to put in place to ensure that YOU are ok? Or are you ok with this as it is and continues to be? I suppose that is your choice after all.