Good days, bad days

Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good days, bad days

It seems that some days are a struggle. Woke up at 5, started going through closets to donate clothes and was pooped by 8. I had an appt with the temp agency at 11 and have a 5.5 hour work assignment - TWO WEEKS FROM TOMORROW! Wow. This is no way to bring in cash. Then off to the dentist, where I got good news - fine and good. By the time I got home and, at 3:30, all I wanted to do was to drink. I thought...gosh...what am I going to do if I can't handle more of a day like this and it makes me want to drink? Off to my group tonight - three more hours of therapy. Came home and sent the therapist some LifeRing links. I think he'll be interested. At any rate, boohoo, bad day and I don't even know why! I guess some days are like this.

Something else interesting in my group tonight...we watched a Hazelden video. I did ask my therapist if it would be possible to show another video - like Rational Recovery. He said no - the Powers That Be will not allow him to do so. Wow. Someone get me back to CA!

Well, just checking in. What do you do when you are having a bad day just to get through the day? I know things like take a bubble bath (did), go for a walk (did) but sometimes life just feels like responsibilities all the way around.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

I heard that with my deaf ear. Or maybe I read it with my blind eye. Anyway, I know exactly what you mean.
Giving up the addiction is a simple proposal. From now on, you will live life behind the eyes of a clean, sober person.
There’s no magic result which makes all of the problems in life go away (except maybe the ability to react to them with a sober mind).
I feel the same way. I need to HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT. The problems in my life have been doing a fantastic job pissing me off. Just because I seem to have a clearer emotional and cognitive way of dealing with crap doesn’t mean that the crap goes away.
I’ve tried getting a massage, eating comfort food, stuff like that, but it’s getting to me.
Maybe this weekend I’ll go for a run.
Anyway, I hope you feel better.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freepath View Post
I heard that with my deaf ear. Or maybe I read it with my blind eye. Anyway, I know exactly what you mean.
Giving up the addiction is a simple proposal. From now on, you will live life behind the eyes of a clean, sober person.
There’s no magic result which makes all of the problems in life go away (except maybe the ability to react to them with a sober mind).
I feel the same way. I need to HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT. The problems in my life have been doing a fantastic job pissing me off. Just because I seem to have a clearer emotional and cognitive way of dealing with crap doesn’t mean that the crap goes away.
I’ve tried getting a massage, eating comfort food, stuff like that, but it’s getting to me.
Maybe this weekend I’ll go for a run.
Anyway, I hope you feel better.
Thanks I've never had a massage. I've had lots of mashed potatoes. I also used to run and swear by exercise.

I am thinking I will now spring for a DVD of Rational Recovery so that I can feel INCLUDED in the group in a positive way. In fact, I am going on the website right now.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I'm tired, hungry, and/or thirsty, I crave a drink. So when I know I'm going to have a busy day, I take Vitamine C in the morning and at noon. I always have something to drink with me, usually club soda because the bubbles fill me up and the water has a little "bite" to it, but diet coke works, as would any fruit juice. I used to keep candy too, but now I've sworn off obvious sweets for a while, so I keep raisin bread wrapped in cellophane and apples handy. For the moment, that has worked for busy,tired, hungry days.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
When I'm tired, hungry, and/or thirsty, I crave a drink. So when I know I'm going to have a busy day, I take Vitamine C in the morning and at noon. I always have something to drink with me, usually club soda because the bubbles fill me up and the water has a little "bite" to it, but diet coke works, as would any fruit juice. I used to keep candy too, but now I've sworn off obvious sweets for a while, so I keep raisin bread wrapped in cellophane and apples handy. For the moment, that has worked for busy,tired, hungry days.
I like the club soda idea a lot. It does hit the spot in a way that regular water doesn't. And it's good to carry a snack around too. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow i'm a club soda addict too

some days just sck.....
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

gratitude lists help me get out of sh!tty moods. yup.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It's beautiful outside this morning. I couldn't be in a funk if I tried.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emimily View Post
gratitude lists help me get out of sh!tty moods. yup.
Yes, I have a lot to be grateful for, but at times moods just hit me. I can intellectually know I am "blessed" but try telling it to me when I'm sitting in some IOP group for three hours bored out of my mind. Oh well, at least I'm alive to sit there.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

yup, sometimes life just sucks for no apparent reason. i'm a firm believer in people sitting in their sh!t until they decide not to anymore. i know i've done it, everyone has that right. normally, i stay stuck until the pain of being stuck is greater than the pain of changing and becoming unstuck. but that's usually with bigger things, bad moods come and go, like clouds.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I'm having a really bad day I can't function. Forget getting out of bed. When other people have a bad days they're able to trudge along and work, socialize, etc, but I can't. Until I feel better I'm pretty much useless. When I tell my parents this they don't seem to understand... they never feel *that* bad I guess. I guess they're much more resilient than I am. Nothing affects them...or if it does they never let on.

Luckily I don't feel that way too often.. but I wish I knew how to handle those days better, but I'm so overcome with emotion I can't think rationally. Those days are huge triggers too.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Never settle.

When I have bad days I just focus on alienating every person who cares about me.

Well, not on purpose but that's how it seems to work out. I had the first good day today in at least a week, probably longer. Exercise really helps me. I've been sick and yesterday I was miserable but I still got out for a 4-mile walk and felt better afterward. Bad moods seem to melt away that way, too.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think something else that helps are my puppies. It was so cute. I was just watching them and wish I'd had my camera. The littler one jumped on top of the bigger one sideways so her two front legs were on one side and her rear legs on the other. The the bigger one turned around in circles and the little one just went along for the ride. Egads they are cute!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I think something else that helps are my puppies.
Me too, Katie!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Me too, Katie!
Dog is God spell backwards! I should really figure out how to post pics and one of these days I will.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Just get a Photobucket account and it's really easy.

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l235/schematic_2001/
Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

While in rehab, each day we had to set just one goal. At the end of the night before we went to bed we each had to tell if we set that goal and what our inspiration was for that day. I always found it very helpful. I've been clean for a little over a year and I still set a goal for the day and in my journal write my inspirations for the day....
Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by camsmama View Post
While in rehab, each day we had to set just one goal. At the end of the night before we went to bed we each had to tell if we set that goal and what our inspiration was for that day. I always found it very helpful. I've been clean for a little over a year and I still set a goal for the day and in my journal write my inspirations for the day....
At the rehab I went to we met in the morning for "meditation" and then we did group and we hadda pick a "feeling word". Like, a feeling word that desribes yourself.

I got in trouble every single day for saying "********".
Old 05-09-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=gneiss;2222369]When I have bad days I just focus on alienating every person who cares about me. QUOTE]

snirkle

my favorite not coping skill
Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today - good day and bad day. Good news is I see one of my favorite people tonight. Bad day - I am fat and have nothing to wear.

I am trying to practice "self-acceptance" and hopefully finding an outfit today that doesn't make me look too fat!

Off to Ross - the store where it's cheap to buy fat clothes.