Personal Mission Statement....

Old 08-08-2003, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Personal Mission Statement....

Hello Ladies,

Last November on the NA forum I was struggling with some things and I did what we learn around here to do, I reached out for help. I called on Pernell to help me. He suggested (and gave me a GREAT deal of help) that I write a Personal Mission Statement for myself.

It was an amazing experience for me to do this for myself, I kept it and refer to it often. I want to share it with you ladies and I challenge you to do it for yourself also.

I did feel a little vulnerable at first doing it in the open forum like we did, but in the end I was happy that I did it that way. At the time it inspired others to do it to, and I hope it does you as well.

Here is mine -

My personal Mission Statement -

First in my life will be my relationship with God, always remembering that without that relationship I have nothing. I will try to share the unconditional love I receive from God with others in my life. I will try not be judgmental or controlling of others always listening to both sides fairly.

I will try and balance recovery, family and business to the best of my ability. It will be a priority to me to work with others in recovery so that I can both share the message and keep what I have been blessed to receive. In doing this I must continue to work on myself and my character defects through the 12 steps.

I will seek to have warm healthy family relationships that contain trust, mutual comfort and respect. I will make my home a safe environment where my family can love, laugh, and grow together.

I will be a responsible woman who finishes what she starts and does everything with pride. I will continue to grow in areas of education that interest me. I will act on situations and opportunities, rather than to be acted upon. I will always try to keep myself free from addictive and destructive behaviors. I will never compromise my honesty and integrity, always being true to myself first. I will not let others influence what I know to be true in my heart.

I will have confidence in myself as a strong independent woman, able to stand on her own two feet. I will look at life as the wonderful gift that it is being able to cry and laugh and feel for others with compassion. I will try to stay positive and remember to treat myself as my own best friend.
--------------------------------------

Like I said I had a GREAT deal of help with this from Pernell and others that jumped in. So we can do this together.

Who wants to start???
Old 08-08-2003, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wow, Pauline, what a wonderful statement.

I'd really like to do one, but am unsure of how it is done. Do I just think and write out what I feel my mission should be? You say Pernell worked with you (I love that man), so is it something that we do with someone?

I'm going to start working on this and will post something later tonight or tomorrow. And I'll check back here for suggestions.

This feels very "healthy" already, and I'd love to have a list like this and make a commitment to myself to see it through.

Thanks Pauline. Love ya.

Hugs
Ann
Old 08-08-2003, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Ann -

I am so glad that you are interested in this.

I don't know if I would say it is something you have to do with another person, like the steps. I was just having a rough time and asked Pernell for help and he suggested writing a mission statement for myself. It really was a great thread back in November.

He gave me alot of suggestions after I did my first draft and that is kinda what I thought we could do with each other around here.

Anyone that wants to could do a first draft and post it and then we could help with ideas. I kept copies of the ideas that he gave me and will throw them out there when needed (giving him credit of course ). By the way I love him to, what great recovery and what a great spirit he has.

So jump in whenever you are ready.

To give you a hint. When I started, I kinda made a list of stuff that I wanted to change or stuff that I just thought I needed to improve and then built from there.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pauline! That is such a great idea! I know that I need more structure in my life and having something actually written on paper seems like such a great tool for helping with focus. I feel very scattered at the moment because I'm not putting enough effort into structuring my day (or life for that matter) and I end up getting very frustrated with myself. I will also give this a try, and will start with your suggestion of making a list and then ask for your help to take it from there. Thanks for this!

Love and hugs.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks for the info Pauline. My husband is working tomorrow, so hopefully I can take some time and get one here for advice on how to improve it.

I am excited about this. I'm going through some big changes in my life and this is a perfect time to do something like this.

Be back soon.

Hugs
Ann
Old 08-08-2003, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Pauline..you drive a very hard bargain..this is very tough!

My personal mission statement

I will continue to work toward God in all areas of my life. I will continue to work toward freeing myself of all barriers to God. I will grow in a spiritual manner. I will do God's bidding. I will be rich in the lives that have touched mine.

Someday I will look into the eyes of my grandchildren again. I will thank God for his work in this. I will cherish this moment in my heart until it is a reality, and forever after. My grandchildren will know how very special I know they are, and how much I truly love them.

For every negative thought, I will think of a positive one. I will learn to love the blessing of life. I will learn to love myself for who I am. I will practice foregiveness, for myself, and all others. I will walk into a room, with no inner terror of the people waiting there for me. I will be confident in my heart.

I will have a job that enables me to assist people in some way. It will be a job that allows me to feel good about what I do. I will make a difference in this world, god willing.

My children will know how wonderful I truly think they are, and how very much I love them. I will practice hugging until it becomes second nature and comforting.

I will find happiness, at last.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Sky -

That is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you could see me smile. Didn't it feel good to write it?

Tell me how it feels to read it. I love reading mine and I have to do it to remind myself of the person that I want to be, the person that I practice daily to be.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Im not sure..it just seems like its all kinda disorganized to me?? I wasnt sure what I was doing?? Dont know if its what you meant? I just ended up asking myself "if tomorrow was your last day to live..what would you want."
I think it will feel very good to me after i get it worn in alittle
I just read it and it feels very...uplifting!! I have never had goals before..I think I am beginning to understand what they mean for us. And I like!
Wouldnt it be so very wonderful if we could reach all these goals by the time we are finished here! What a wonderful life it would be then!

Thank you Pauline! this is going to be very good for me.

I am so new to allowing feelings through, recovering from PTSD. Sometimes things come out of me that I have no idea were in there. Kinda scary..but feels very good. This was tough for me.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

It is what I meant and I think is sounds great, it came out just like it was supposed to. I know it was tough, but not a bad tough .

It does feel uplifting to read, I know what you mean.

I like - confident in my heart - that is a great way to put it.

And to be rich in the lives that have touched yours, what an awesome thing.

It is beautiful Sky.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Thank You Pauline. I have printed this..and like you..will be returning to it often. Goals!! This is exciting!
Old 08-08-2003, 07:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

This is a great idea!!~ I'll have to start on mine this weekend.

I enjoyed reading yours Sky..it was beautiful, very well-said.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Actually...when did you do yours Pauline?? From the impressions I have always had of you here..It feels like to me that you have conquered the last paragraph easy....And from what I know of you here...alot of the paragraph above it. It also seems as though you do have a very strong healthy sprituality.
This is very encouraging to see.

(((2stop))) thank you sis for the compliment. I am on my seat waiting to read everyone elses! Pauline seems to have hers so well together..it seems like I left alot out...but I can add later I guess. Cant bite off more than I can chew right off the bat anyway.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My Personal Mission Statement

To carry the message of God`s love and forgivness.

To live The Golden Rule as best I can.

To be an example of AA`s progtram of recovery.

Thanks for letting me share my joy.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chy

Great idea! Will begin contemplating mine!
Old 08-09-2003, 07:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Carol and Sky

Thank you for sharing that and for the beauty you offer,

Okay, Pauline. As you know, I am the Queen of ramblers, even in my own mind, so I decided to Keep It Simple, which for me also keeps it workable.

My Personal Mission Statement

Thoughts

I will keep my thoughts rooted in God's love for me, always remembering that He is with me and that His plan for me is a good plan, no matter how much I screw it up. I will keep my thoughts on remaining Honest, Openmided and Willing in all things I do. I will remember to be grateful for ALL God's gifts to me, even when they are disguised as obstacles. I will keep my thoughts on my recovery, loving myself and loving and respecting others, replacing anger and resentments with compassion and forgiveness.

Inappropriate thoughts will be replaced with healthy thoughts before they take root.

I will no longer procrastinate, and instead try my best to put a time frame on those things that I tend to procrastinate about.

Actions

I am moving early October, and I will take action to find and attend meetings in my new location and also to find a church that meets my spiritual needs.

I will take action to look for God's plan for me in my new home and to not isolate myself.

I will take action to find a job that is enjoyable and that will contribute to my happiness and well-being and not deter from it.

Deeds

I will take time every day to focus completely on my recovery, to pray and meditate and to just spend quiet time with myself and God. Since I will live only a block from a wonderful beach, I will walk each day on the beach, alone, to just feel the spiritual presence of God.

I will pause, and take time, before I respond to any crisis or unsettling occurance in my life ensuring that my response comes from a balanced and healthy perspective. I will no longer react with knee-jerk responses.

I will take care of my personal health, eating well and exercising by walking or swimming , and getting regular check-ups.

I will attend church and meetings on a regular commited basis and without being rigid, allow myself to miss them only when necessary and for good reason.

I will do something everyday that contributes to my recovery and that is helpful to others, whether it is simply a kind deed, a friendly gesture, sharing God's love, a charitable act....somethoing that will give back what I have been so blessed to receive.

I will review this mission and add to it as my life changes and new challenges occur.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phewww. I think that's it. Now Pauline, I know that you are one of the kindest people in the world, but PLEASE help me by giving any honest suggestions that you think may improve this. I too am going to print this out and refer to it daily.

Thank you for starting this thread. It nudged me to do something good for myself that I should have done a long time ago.

P.S. I'm sure glad I didn't go for the LONG version LOL LOL.

Hugs and Love
Ann
Old 08-09-2003, 07:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Ann

Wow..what wonderful goals!! Could i maybe steal some? This is so hard to do and it looks like you did a beautiful job of it!
Old 08-09-2003, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sky

You can have it all and let me off the hook!!! LOL LOL LOL

Just kidding. Actually I see a lot of similarity in all our missions, and I think it is great that what I see reflects recovery and being good to ourselves.

I'm anxious to read some more from others....you know so I can do the "why didn't I think of that?" thing.

This IS good exercise for all of us. Isn't Pauline a sweetie???

Hugs
Ann
Old 08-09-2003, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I have been slowly working on this, but just can't get it down on paper like I usually would be able to....I know one BIG mission of mine is......To live, not just exist and react, before I die and be the best possible reflection of God's love and mercy to others. I'll keep woking at this, I think I feel so inadequate and like a failure when I start really thinking about my life and it's mission here on earth. All of ya alls were wonderful to read!!~Good work...
Old 08-09-2003, 08:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

WOW - what a great way to start my day, reading such heartfelt thoughts and feelings from you ladies.

But...I must confess, I am not the sweetie here. I did mine back in November with Pernell on the NA forum, MG suggested to me the other day that I post it here on WIR and ask you ladies to join me. It was her idea, I cannot take credit for it.

Ann - I think yours is absolutley beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes and made me wish that we were neighbors more than I already did - LOL!

What I am going to do is post the hints that Pernell gave me, and you will see that his hints guided me 99% to write mine. You ladies can look at the list and compare it to what you have written and see if anything is missing, or maybe even if it is that is okay with you. What the list did for me was open my mind to ideas that I did not think of in my first draft.

Here it is -
Ideas!
Never compromise with honesty
Remember the people involved
Hear both sides before judging
Obtain counsel of others
Defend those who are absent
Be sincere yet decisive
Develop one new proficiency a year
Plan tomorrow's work today
Hustle while you wait
Maintain a positive attitude
Keep a sense of humor
Do not fear mistakes

You can easily see what I incorporated into mine and what I did not.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Pauline
Hey now...I have a whole lifetime of work of my own..and only a half life to do it in! But I would still love to pilfer good ones when they come along! Thats just what I did with yours Oh i didnt think of that, but im sure glad she did! This gives us such an advantage..from all points of recovery.

Well, thats an impossible mission...to try to choose whether Pauline or Morning Glory is the sweete..could never do it..so I just guess they are both a double sweetie!

I loved the last one on this list..dont fear mistakes..this has been mentally added to mine.