Emergencies show who really cares

Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Emergencies show who really cares

The evac order several streets over has been downgraded so I feel a lot safer. I may just get some sleep tonight.

The special part of this whole ordeal is that I've found a bunch of kind people.

Today, I've lived on one of the social networks. One college classmate and two of my old HS buddies I haven't seen in twenty years offered their homes to me and one classmate offered to help me move my stuff if I needed it. Both he and his wife opened their house to Sis and me, along with our cats. They didn't care that they don't have pets, or that our fur babies may disturb their home. They cared that we have a safe place to sleep for several nights.

My non-addict parent stayed up to read the news because she was worried. When I called three hours after her bedtime she let me know that if we couldn't find a place to stay, her home in AZ was open to all of us, even if our cats might fight with her pets.

People I haven't seen in years and who moved away have been keeping us in their thoughts. Neighbors opened up their homes to watch the local coverage and share my fears. Others simply were there to talk.

Other neighbors have been sharing information and those who did not receive the reverse 911 calls trusted me to knock on their doors to let them know if our street had an evac order. Another woman who worked with Law Enforcement explained it was okay to sleep and described the entire procedure including bull horns if we had an evac order.

Its been a long two days and it won't end tonight but I've learned who really cares. That includes this forum. Thank you.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sorry Alera..i misssed what happened but i'm glad you are safe and isn't it amazing to have a comunity of caring people in our lives today :ghug
Old 05-07-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm assuming she talking about the wildfires in Southern California.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mergirl

Ooo, Alera, I'm so sorry you guys have another one. I went to Dos Pueblos (and San Marcos, and Anacapa, but that's another story). I am glad you have so many offers of places to go, what a very scary time for you.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Alera You have been in my thoughts these past few days. I glad to read that there are people near you whom have opened their homes and hearts to you.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I'm assuming she talking about the wildfires in Southern California.
You got it. Still safe for now, but only got three hours sleep so heading back off if I can.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

That's scary, Alera. Not much fun breathing smoke either. I was living in Oakland when they had the Oakland Hills Fire and it actually jumped a freeway. Hope you get some rest.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
That's scary, Alera. Not much fun breathing smoke either. I was living in Oakland when they had the Oakland Hills Fire and it actually jumped a freeway. Hope you get some rest.
You got that right. The last three fires in this area caused a lot of smoke where we live. This is the first fire in my lifetime where I'm awaiting to evac. Its a totally different beast. Hell, I stopped counting reverse 9-11 calls I've received!

On a more positive note, a photograph I took is going to be aired by the BBC. I had been sitting outside getting a bit of cool air the other day and just snapped it. Everyone on my social network had chosen to use that photo to share with their out of town friends so when I was reading a BBC story that asked for photos for their website I figured "why not?"

Ends up they like it so much their plans are not to be using it primarily on their "readers submit" website, but in the actual TV coverage!

And yes, the law student in me read the fine print in detail. I will retain the copyright and ability to use my photo as I please. They can use it for free on their networks and promotional material.

Here is the photo in case anyone sees it:

I just got a mandatory evac so catch you all later.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's a great photo Alera - but very frightening, considering how close it is. Stay safe and keep in touch.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Check in when you can Alera. Adding my voice to the chorus - stay safe.

D
Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

I hope this won’t disrupt your life too much! Congratulations on the photo. Here we go again… another year of California burning down.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Very frighting indeed...please be safe Alera.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, scary pics. Stay safe Alera and AZ is a safer place to be, in case you need to escape with fur babies and YOU! Oh, and I am here. The only thing I live with is interminable boredom. Still - a good place to come to in light of those wildfires and also you have family here.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Katie. We are booked at the hotel until Tuesday. Hopefully we will be able to go home by then.

BTW, the BBC has already put the photo on their website and it sounds like they want to interview me.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Alera,
I am so sorry that you are going through this. I went to high school in Santa Barbara and have family and friends there. Some I can not get a hold of
I am down in San Diego now and we were evacuated in the 2003 fires. It was one of the worst things I have ever been through. My thoughts are with you :ghug3
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I have a couple of friends out there either evacuated or ready to. Jesusita Fire, I think?? Bad news. Hope you're doing ok, keep us updated!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

OMG, Alera! I didn't even realize you were evacuated!
Let me know if I can help!

I'll pm you my number, can't remember if you have it or not.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
Thank you Katie. We are booked at the hotel until Tuesday. Hopefully we will be able to go home by then.

BTW, the BBC has already put the photo on their website and it sounds like they want to interview me.
Wow, who/what/when/where will you be interviewed?

So you came to AZ? I do hope you enjoy your stay here and that you don't get too hot. Should be up around 100 today.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We are two towns over from home Katie. I haven't been interviewed yet simply because I've been too busy getting settled here and taking care of my cats (and getting sleep when I can). If they still want to do the interview it will be on Talk of the Town.

Thank you all for your positive thoughts.

The zone where we live has been knocked down from Mandatory Evac to evac warning. We're going to stay tonight and if the fire stays away from our area we'll most likely go home tomorrow afternoon.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
mergirl

Looks like they finally got a handle on it Alera, I hope you find your home safe and sound.