Notices

Day 10!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Day 10!

Hope you guys are all doing ok.
I've got to day 10 quite effortlessly, I must admit, because the DUI scared the bejesus out of me... but none the less, I am happy to have 10 days and counting. I also feel like I am more readily available to help my partner, should she need any kind of emotional, spiritual support, which I can't put a price on- it's fantastic, and worth every minute.

So just a quick check in to say, I'm still on the sobreity wagon, and haven't fallen off. (The charges pending against me came with a free 5 point harness and glass cockpit so there's no escape from the wagon!)

I can honestly say I am thouroughly enjoying AA, and the people there are just great, it's something I should have done YEARS ago and I would reccomend it to anyone.

PS... does anyone have ANY idea what "Fail to remain at the scene" of an accident will carry, (never been so scared in my life- at the time), along with the dui charge? I have searched high and low, and found forums that contain either vague information, or flamers saying how "all drunk drivers should go to hell..."

This part I especially find ironic, is in Canada, you can't get anywhere without a car, so granted that the people flaming the dui offenders have DD'd themselves. Just an observation.

Thanks to all here, simply for BEING here...

Have a great day guys..
Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Congratulations!!

Try going to a few AA or NA meetings as soon as possible.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days!

Failure to remain at the scene of an accident can carry a 5 year jail sentence in Canada.

It's very doubtful you would get jail however, if it was only property damage. You'd better get a lawyer and some proper legal advice.

Aside from the fines and lawyers fees, your insurance will be invalid due to leaving the accident, and the DUI charges. You will be held responsible for any financial losses resulting from the accident.

Here in B.C where I live, ICBC (our provincial insurance company), would pay the claims to the other party(s) and would come after you for repayment. A potentially crippling life long debt.

Thank god I quit drinking. I drove impaired all the time.

I'm glad you're doing so well. Keep it up.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 10+ days original and good move going to AA, that can lead to ones solution to thier drinking problem, it sure has for mine.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 10 days original!! I hope that you will keep you and your sobriety in the front of all of this. Good Luck with everything.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Umm, I'm from Canada and I have a fantastic public transportation system in the city where I live. It's excellent! I had to make this point, because you said the same thing in another thread. I have lived from one end of Canada to the other and never found a lack of public transportation.

The suggestion to get a lawyer is your best bet.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

Large cities in Canada have some of the best public transit in the world. I don't have a car and can go any place I ever need to go to in my city.
Cngrats on 10 says. You seem to be on the right path.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

Welcome to Day 11.....congrats
Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, your support is wholly appreciated...
Just been to a meeting, but didn't say much- just wanted to listen...

Yip it was just property damage. I also stopped to check the people inside the car were ok, and I had not caused any injuries, but after that, panic set in and I made a rediculous decision to get out of there.

I have no idea weather the court will have any leniency towards me, with it being a 1st offence (ever), stopping to check the other party was ok, and being fully remorseful, and absoultely VOWING to myself that I will never be tempted by drink again.

If this whole thing helps me to gather the strength to stop drinking for good, then it will have been COMPLETELY worth it. I just have to work on my selfish attitude right now too.

As far as I am concerned, I have done wrong, and am willing to take whatever punishment they deem fit.
At the end of the day, they can not, and WILL NOT take my sobreity away from me, and that is key.

Thankyou all for your support
Old 05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your ten days of sobriety...

I am happy you found AA...

Sobriety is possible. Keep reaching out for help...