Notices

Looking for advice

Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for advice

I have kind of a strange work situation... Has anyone stayed in their job after hitting bottom. My boss knows what I am going through and we used to drink together. He says he is totally supportive, but I have had a few embarrassing Drunk times with him that he now looks at as negative since I told him I have a problem. He just told me he is trying to get past things but it is going to be hard. My gut is just to sit tight and prove to him that I am past it and those times won't happen again... but I'm feeling a bit strange about it since when we were drinking buddies everything was fine... Any thoughts?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Many people didn't have a job when they hit bottom, so that's something to be grateful for. I've heard a lot lately that we should refrain from any unnecessary major changes if possible for the first year. I think that's a good guideline, but only you can decide if you need a new job. I'd definitely stick it out till I had another one lined up. Hang in there.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I came to work drunk on a binge.. my boss busted me. Thank God.
That was my 'bottom' of sorts.
We used to drink together, a lot. It was awkward at first, but now.. she just knows I'm taking care of myself, helped me get into counseling.. checks in on me every so often. It's embarrassing.. both that I had drank with her, and also that she found out how serious the problem really had gotten to.
Just like the rest of my life, all I can do is be an example of what I want to be. Sober, honest, hardworking, a new me.. that's been a handful of months now, and she couldn't be more proud to have me here.
Takes time.. I was embarrassed to show my face for a long long time.. even still I kind of cringe, but I am blessed beyond belief that i have a job at all, and I work every single day to prove that.
I have been sober since that day.. 12/17/08 will forever stick in my mind.
Are you still drinking? Cuz that would change the whoooole thing ...
Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you hit bottom on your job and are sober in the same job your work performance is probably considerably better than when you were drinking and will be noticed by everyone you work with. Staying sober is the real key and if you do that things will work out one way or another. I have known people who lost jobs after getting sober and wound up getting considerably better jobs and did very well in sobriety.

Hang in there, the good stuff is just beginning!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I am NOT drinking and am taking all the steps I know how to make sure that I never drink again. You are all right it is still new and I do have that shame and embarrassment of things that have happened in the past. It sounds like you all think what I think and that all I can do is prove to them every day that it will never happen again and I'm on the right road... Wish me luck...

Thanks!!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My bottom came when I OD'd on alcohol (I guess, I don't remember) and then proceeded to take a bottle of prescription sleeping pills and 2 bottles of prescription pain killers---I came to in my home about 36 hours later and managed to call 911. The paramedics showed up, I was barely coherent, barely conscience, they asked if I wanted them to call anyone I said I didn't have to be anywhere until Monday, they said that it was Monday, so I asked them to call my boss-they did and they told him what I had done. I spent the next week in the hospital with a hole in my liver during which time I left numerous messages for my boss saying things like "they are holding me prisoner" "they are trying to defraud the insurance company there is nothing wrong with me" etc...I wasn't necessarily close to this man but had worked for him for almost 10 years at the time, I never came to work drunk but I was generally "ill" on Monday mornings and had racked up more excuses for being late than I can even remember. I still have the same job nearly 2 yrs later. If your boss is professional he will adjust and get past this, if not then perhaps you should look for another job. Since you have informed your boss of your problem and the action you are taking you are somewhat protected by law under the ADA (assuming you live in the US). I went above and beyond what was expected of me at work after my "episode" and continue to do so because I value my job and it's paid off.

Judy