Notices

Co-Dependency or Alcoholic?

Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Seeking Peace and Serenity

Co-Dependency or Alcoholic?

I have a concern. I have lived half my life in relationships with alcoholics. I always ended up drinking and getting drunk with them to control things; which never works by the way. Anyways, I have been going to Al-Anon in and out for over a year due to my BF being in and out of recovery and that brought out some control issues that I didn’t like happening. Anyways, recently, I took a look at my life in regards to my drinking behaviors. Although I have always felt that I could drink moderately and was in control, I have noticed when I get upset I drink by myself and get pretty buzzed. I usually go to sleep and suffer the hangover in the morning. I do this about once a week; sometimes I go out with a friend on the weekend and also feel I need a good buzz on. I shared this with my BF and he said he was concerned but it was a decision that I would have to make. We go to AA meetings sometimes together so I can get a better understanding of the mind of an A. Lately, when people talk about their experiences I feel that I have been there done that and it scares me. Due to my co-dependency, I can’t tell what is going on with me. Has anyone felt like this?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Well, I know that a lot of people are both addicts and co-dependents.

For me, I had huge co-dependent issues (not involving drugs/alcohol) with my family. But, I was in denial about it and really had no idea. Eventually, my co-dependency pushed me to my breaking point and I began to drink. After a few years, I began recovery from alcoholism. A couple of years into my recovery, I began to realize I had co-dependency issues, but only now, am I really working on those.

If you are concerned about your drinking habits, why not consider stopping drinking?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Seeking Peace and Serenity

It sux. For many years I have done some dumb things drinking and dumb things sober. I drink when I am lonely and I feel lonely alot. I really want to go to a meeting as an A instead of an Al-Anon. I just don't know if I can say alcoholic out loud.