Notices

Worst mood in the morning?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Worst mood in the morning?

Good Morning everyone...I was curious to know if anyone found in early sobriety their worst mood was in the morning? Not that I am in a good mood for the rest of the day...it's still early on in my sobriety, so I am still having all the unpleasant feelings that come with it(depression, hopelessness,confusion, feelings of dread and disgust)...but I notice these feelings are at their peak in the morning...When I first wake up, I just keep rolling my eyes, and my head starts racing with all these thoughts, and I just feel so DISGUSTED...I know alot of people would start drinking when they get home from work...I used work part time so alot of days when I was off I would start when I first woke up. Now I notice, after being 9 days sober my worst mood is in the morning, and I usually feel a little better in the evening or late before I go to bed...Is this true for anyone else?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

When I was drinking and drugging, I used to dread waking up.

So my worst mood was in the morning during that time. Until I got some nicotine and copious amounts of caffeine in me, I was an irritable anxious, plotting jerk. I'd be thinking about nicotine, pot and pain pills almost the second my eyes opened up, and by late afternoon, I was invariably adding booze to the mix. The dreadful feeling of waking up was the feeling of the party (and the high numbness I'd worked so hard on) from the day before being gone & over and the cycle having to start allover again. What a terrible mood that all put me in. This process was at it's worst when waking up included the knowledge that whatever codeine I did the day before was long gone from my system and more would have to be taken.

Waking up now, in early sobriety, is like an extension of a good dream. My mood and my outlook is good, and my thoughts are on life and living. I feel at my best in the morning now, not the worst. It's truly a great thing.

Before, during the drinking drugging time, awaking in the morning was the end of the only good times I really had, which is to say that the only good times I had were when I was sleeping and during my dreams.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes the mornings are sometimes rough for me relative to the rest of the day, lots of anxiety and jittery-ness. Im just not a morning person but as I get more sober time I think the mornings are getting better.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For the first 5-6 months I would wake up, anxious, thoughts racing... how am I going to DO this?? ... WTF?? It was exhausting at times... tough to just get in the shower and then "suit up" for the workday...

But... One Day at a Time... It's getting a lot better lately... Some days I actually wake up and just think about what I am going to do later!! Almost normal! (shudder... normal! - I like drama, damn it!... )

Mark
Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been a "bear" (as in grizzly), for as long as I can remember in the mornings, even before I ever used.....lol. I know in early sobriety, I was in the hospital and then in a treatment facility. I don't remember exactly how I felt. But after I had coffee and a cigarette, I was better.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
For the first 5-6 months I would wake up, anxious, thoughts racing... how am I going to DO this?? ... WTF?? It was exhausting at times... tough to just get in the shower and then "suit up" for the workday...

But... One Day at a Time... It's getting a lot better lately... Some days I actually wake up and just think about what I am going to do later!! Almost normal! (shudder... normal! - I like drama, damn it!... )

Mark
HaHa!!! Sounds a lil like me Yes one day at a time...Only way to do it.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mary52 View Post
I've been a "bear" (as in grizzly), for as long as I can remember in the mornings, even before I ever used.....lol. I know in early sobriety, I was in the hospital and then in a treatment facility. I don't remember exactly how I felt. But after I had coffee and a cigarette, I was better.
I wouldn't exactly say I'm a morning person either...but I was so used to getting up and having that initial drink...gave me motivation and lightened my mood...big change not being able to do that anymore, but I do know it's for the best...everything is going to take some time, I think now is the hardest part.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

In early sobriety nothing was right ever it seemed, I would wake up and the only thing I did like was that my head was clearer then it had been the previous morning and physically I was starting to feel better, I dreaded the rest of the day except after the first week or so I would look forward to my meeting/meetings that day, back then meetings were the only place I felt safe and understood. It got better with time, I now look forward to getting up and starting a new day sober, not worrying about last night and what I may or may not have done!! LOL
Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
In early sobriety nothing was right ever it seemed, I would wake up and the only thing I did like was that my head was clearer then it had been the previous morning and physically I was starting to feel better, I dreaded the rest of the day except after the first week or so I would look forward to my meeting/meetings that day, back then meetings were the only place I felt safe and understood. It got better with time, I now look forward to getting up and starting a new day sober, not worrying about last night and what I may or may not have done!! LOL
Yes, exactly...It is nice not to wake up sick with a hangover...but I do have that feeling of dread for the rest of the day which is very hard to deal with...Patience is key here, unfortunately I have very little of it...looking for something to take the unpleasant feelings away immediately, without the only solution I know, it's panicky wondering how to get through the day and deal with these emotions the only way I know how (alcohol)...thanks again for the encouraging words...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi sweets
I'm in very early recovery too and for me waking up in the morning is nice just because i don't have a hangover. I then immediately count(literally on my fingers) how many days i've been sober and usually have to check several times. In fact i'm now on day 5 and it just seems such a long time ago that i last had a drink!!
For me it's in the evenings that i get the really bad headaches but that's probably because that's when my body has noticed it hasn't had it's usual ration of alcohol (i always drank in the evening)
Whenever i do get jittery or really headachy i take one of the pills the docotr gave me. Apparently they're addictive too so can someone tell me how we get off those afterwards? Are you taking pills sweets?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJB View Post
Hi sweets
I'm in very early recovery too and for me waking up in the morning is nice just because i don't have a hangover. I then immediately count(literally on my fingers) how many days i've been sober and usually have to check several times. In fact i'm now on day 5 and it just seems such a long time ago that i last had a drink!!
For me it's in the evenings that i get the really bad headaches but that's probably because that's when my body has noticed it hasn't had it's usual ration of alcohol (i always drank in the evening)
Whenever i do get jittery or really headachy i take one of the pills the docotr gave me. Apparently they're addictive too so can someone tell me how we get off those afterwards? Are you taking pills sweets?
I never got addicted to pills (not like I've tried them all lol ), but I've taken valium and xanax before for my anxiety...Right now I will take a xanax as needed, the mgs aren't that high...I am not really worried about getting addicted to them, because I have been prescribed them before and never felt the need to keep taking them...they help take the edge off when I get really upset or highly irritated where I feel like I'm gonna jump out of my skin or punch something...I'm not a big fan of meds, but sometimes they are needed to help. I've been on a few anti-depressants before and I hated the side effects/withdrawals...I could probably benefit from them though, being as I'm prone to severe depression...I just don't look forward to going through different ones to find the right one...I also don't like being dependent on them either, because coming off them is no fun...I know some people stay on them for years...Most people I know are on them for years...I know if you are weaned off it's easier, but I had a bad experience with them a few times...brain zaps, dizziness, not being able to sleep right, muscle spasms, etc...I don't really know what I need to feel better
Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
sweets, ya know that instantaneous GUILTY feeling you get when a cop is behind you??? even if your tabs are current, license current, no tickets, passed emissions AND your auto insurance is a paid up a year in advance? sort of old habit......right now mornings are still your "cop in the rear view mirror" moment........nothing wrong, it just FEELS wrong.

and in life, much like with our cars, there's a lot we CAN do to calm our fears, our old worries. we can STAY sober one day a time, we can clean up the wreckage of our past, one wreck at a time, we can make sure our "recovery" license is VALID, and do all we can is THIS day to insure our sobriety.

my husband and i are some 20 months clean off crack. and have been homeowners now for about 18 months. up until a week ago we got along FINE with our neighbors to the right and to the left. no problems, hi how are ya's over the fence. then last weekend we were having a fire out in our newly constructed fire pit, set far from the structures, down as near to the lake as possible without getting WATER in it, built by stone masons.....next thing ya know the fire dept is tromping thru our neighbors yard. the neighbor on the OTHER side had called them. was the fire out of control? no. 4 of us were sitting around it, if anything was going to catch on fire, we would have been the first to go. there was no wind, and we had a hose connected AND ready, just in case.

the firemen, altho invited, did not come IN to our yard, just looked over the fence, and said it all looked fine. they even trekked back a half hour later, just to check.

next day, same neighbor lady comes flying onto her back deck, screaming at the top of her lungs, accusing my husband of abusing our dogs and yells she's calling animal control. believe me, we do NOT abuse our dogs!!! the older dog has a sneaky habit of slinking around the fence into the neighbors yard and then acts as if he's never heard his name or the COME command in his life. so my husband had to go over the chain link fence, gather the 65# rottweiler mix up in his arms, and kinda launch him back over the fence. that was it. he then got him by his collar to put him inside so he wouldn't take off again. the dog being all full of himself half snapped at him when he grabbed his collar, and hank gave him a firm NO. that was it.

saturday there's a knock at our door. it's the animal control officer!!! cool huh? we invite her in, the dogs are happy and jumping up in greeting, she's petting em and getting licked. we tell her we already know why she's here, and take her to window in the front room and show her the back yard and explain exactly what transpired. we didnt' need to DEFEND ourselves as it is more than obvious that both bucky and della are very well cared for, well loved pooches. i pardoned the dog toys and chewies scattered about the floor, and the uttely attractive blankie on the couch which they like to inhabit, the 50# of high priced food we feed these poor neglected beasts - she feeds her dogs the same brand. they are both healthy happy idiots. the only thing she came up with was that she couldn't verify bucky's licensing. turns out when we bought our house and moved to a new city, which by the way was precisely TWO miles from where we lived before, that voided the license. della isn't even 5 months old yet so we had not licensed her yet. so without having to leave the house, for the low low price of $35 we got brand new tags for both dogs and a thanks for your time from the nice animal control lady.

irksome to say the least. but THANK GOD the lives we live TODAY can stand up to 911 calls and visits by the local authorities!!! it did feel uncomfortable......we both did self checks...ok ARE we doing anything WRONG? out of line? reckless? criminal? nope. but that doesn't guarantee that from time to time the Universe won't give us a chance to get humble and stay on track!!! NOR is there any prevent from bitter old b!tch neighbors. we are guaranteed nothing except the opportunity to live as well as we can and feel good about that at the end of the day. sorry, i kinda went on there for a bit!!!
That sounds like a very stressful couple of days..wow..I'm a big animal lover...it sounds like you take very good care of your dogs...I don't believe in hitting,( I know your husband didn't do that) but a firm no is called for sometimes...I wish they would take animal abuse more seriously where I live with the people who ACTUALLY do abuse their animals...I have no respect for people like that..and as far as your neighbor, there is always that ONE person who has to be the a**hole, troublemaker, whatever you want to call them...no matter where you live, work, go to school, whatever it may be, there is always one...but I digress...I really do agree with the last thing you said...That is one of my biggest problems..I don't really know how to live well for myself...I feel emptiness...especially if I am not dating or have any prospects...I have a big problem with loneliness..I do like my alone time, but only for a little while..I always want someone there to protect me/care for me, someone I am very passionate about and can have fun with...it takes me awhile to find someone I like...but when I do, I fall hard...They turn out to not be the person I thought they were, just an illusion.. I always want a guarantee, and I know there aren't any in life...It's something I have to work on accepting..When you enter any relationship, it's a gamble...I think now it's time for me to stop doing that, because I don't like losing, and that's what's been happening the past few years in relationships I have been involved in, (that not being the only reason I turned to drinking, but a major one) and it hurts like hell and just fuels emotions that I find untolerable and I then turn to the only thing that numbs it for a short period of time...(alcohol) I'm kinda rambling now...thank you for taking the time to reply to my post
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi sweets
How are your moods? I seem to be getting some mood swings, but overall just miserable since I woke up this morning...I felt a little better yesterday...What are your main psychological withdrawl symptoms? I'm curious to know because we have about the same early recovery time...
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

The mornings are NOW my favorite part of the day.. I had no idea I was a morning person until I got sober. I have so much more hope in what the day brings.. it's like being a kid again sometimes.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
The mornings are NOW my favorite part of the day.. I had no idea I was a morning person until I got sober. I have so much more hope in what the day brings.. it's like being a kid again sometimes.
Hopefully one day I will get to that place too...
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
where the light is

I still have those days when I wake up in the morning full of anxiety - just don't want to get out of bed and face the day.

For me, quitting drinking and sober time (16 months) has helped immensely but there may also be some underlying mental tendencies I have to deal with (thinking and worrying too much).

Prayer, meditation, and spiritual growth (books, listening to my Elders, practice) help me stay focused and strong. When I wake up, I try to think of everything in my life that I have to be grateful for instead of my challenges.

I also try to get up right away and not lay in bed thinking negative thoughts.

It gets better but like everything else, gotta work for it.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
Hopefully one day I will get to that place too...
Stick with it hun, you will.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I still have those days when I wake up in the morning full of anxiety - just don't want to get out of bed and face the day.

For me, quitting drinking and sober time (16 months) has helped immensely but there may also be some underlying mental tendencies I have to deal with (thinking and worrying too much).

Prayer, meditation, and spiritual growth (books, listening to my Elders, practice) help me stay focused and strong. When I wake up, I try to think of everything in my life that I have to be grateful for instead of my challenges.

I also try to get up right away and not lay in bed thinking negative thoughts.

It gets better but like everything else, gotta work for it.
Hey Gravity,

I do definitely believe I have underlying mental tendencies...I've always had anxiety/negative views/depression, etc...The people I've allowed in my life have even reinforced my negative thinking/depression now, more than ever...I guess from being disappointed so much.....I used the drinking to drown that out, but it only snowballed into a bigger problem...I'm sure a good shrink/therapist would be able to help me...I might need to be on some meds (which I'm not fond of, but when ya need something to help, ya need it)while undergoing cognitive therapy also...I just need to find good doctors.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi sweets
Whenever i do get jittery or really headachy i take one of the pills the docotr gave me. [B]Apparently they're addictive too so can someone tell me how we get off those afterwards? Are you taking pills sweets[/B]?
Ya know I've been thinking about what you said...I haven't gotten addicted to Valium or Xanax in the past..but now that I am taking the Xanax because I'm on edge after only being sober for a little over a week...I hope I don't form an addiction to it...Like I said, I've been prescribed it before, for anxiety and never got addicted...Ugh lol that's all I would need now, to be addicted to that...but I honestly don't think I can be...I'm not crazy about the feeling, it just helps me sleep/relax/take the edge off...that's all I get from it.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi good buddy Sweets, I can't say that the mornings were particularly bad during early sobriety as I was so greatful for not having a monster hangover. The rest of the day pretty much sucked, but waking up was ok. As Flutter said, stick with it. Things do get better, honest. But you're still in nvery early recovery and things are tough right now. Have you tried AA? That can be a big help.

By the way, I called my old Virginia counselor and asked her how someone would find a good therapist in NY. She suggested trying your local city government agencies that deal with addiction, check with your insurance company (if you have insurance), or go online and and check out licensed addictive treatment specialists in your area. She also recommended asking folks in AA but I wasn't sure if you've tried it. She also said that you should report the behavior of the MORON you saw as he doesn't have any business being in the business. And if he acted like that with you, he's pretty certain to act like that with all women.