Notices

The longest 3 weeks in my life

Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The longest 3 weeks in my life

Does it get any easier and I keep on trying to convince myself that it will, but I am tired of feeling tired and depressed and having anxiety. I'm dealing with this practically alone,not sure if I should call someone or go to the doctors or something. I just wanna feel normal again

It's been 21 days now and I thought I'll be better but it's still dragging on.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Maz.....I believe it is all individual with the ups and downs. I've heard many times, not to leave before the miracle happens. I know people with many years clean/sober and they all tell me that it DOES get better. Just be patient, go to meetings, get a sponsor and a home group, and keep doing the next right thing. Congrats on 3 weeks!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Yes, it does get better! But from what you've said, you're trying to do this alone. I honestly don't think that anyone can truly find peace and serenity on their own.

Once we remove the drugs/alcohol from our systems, then it really starts getting tough. All of a sudden, all of the feelings we were using to numb suddenly hit us like a ton of bricks. This is where having friends who are also in Recovery is a must. For me, I had to go to AA and NA, I got a Sponsor, went to at least one meeting every day, began to work the Steps and found a God of my understanding. Yes, that sounds like a huge order, but it was all a part of the "recipe" that has kept me clean and sober for coming up on 4 years now.

I had to spent more time on my Recovery than I did using. The last several years of active addiction, just getting enough pills to make it through the day was a full time job. . . many days requiring a great deal of overtime. After a while, Recovery no longer became "work" for me, it is a way of life now.

A life that I cannot imagine ever giving up and going back to using.

Hang in there, it does get better. I can promise you that.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-03-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

You have to remember that you sued for alot longer than 3 weeks.
Its goin to take some time to get better.
I dont think ot would hurt to see a Dr. Doin it alone is not good. You need support and advice and guidance for this.
It rarely works alone.
Hang in there. 3 weeks is a good start.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Maz

It gets better... I'm 7.5 months and I can say absolutely that it gets better.

Why do this alone??? We can help here on SR... Have you considered AA? Start going to meetings, get some phone numbers. Reach out!!

You should be able to find meetings online that are close to you.

Keep posting!!

Mark

If the doctor is enlightened to alcoholism and addiction, he or she will point you towards AA or some other recovery program... and unless there is a pressing need, not just prescribe a bunch of pills.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes it is individual and I've seen plenty of variations between people's experiences and the pattern of it. But eventually it does stabilize and get better.

I struggled for the first few weeks. Then I started to get brief glimpses of better hope. Sometimes I'd feel pretty good even and then have a more ordinary week, etc.

I'm sorry I haven't been around here to follow your story to date. Some people are recommended to look into information about PAWS but I don't know at what point that usually is. I've no doubt that I've had friends though with PAWS and that I get episodes of it occasionally.

No doubt you've heard before of taking it 'one day at a time/just for today' but that's what most of us swear by.

I also echo Serenity Queen here who has stated it wonderfully as usual.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know it wouldn't be easy, at the moment I am just taking it day by day and just have patience. I am going to go and look for a group for support. I'm nervous about that though as I have never been to one before.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maz,

You are doing great!

I had so much anxiety when I stopped drinking, having no idea how I could manage life without alcohol. I knew that I would have to face myself and see who I really was, if I wanted to recover. Just know that you are not alone.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by maz09 View Post
Does it get any easier and I keep on trying to convince myself that it will, but I am tired of feeling tired and depressed and having anxiety. I'm dealing with this practically alone,not sure if I should call someone or go to the doctors or something. I just wanna feel normal again

It's been 21 days now and I thought I'll be better but it's still dragging on.
Been 9 days for me...I am hoping it will get better in time also..I'm having a hard time with cravings and dealing with emotions I would usually drown in alcohol...I'm very cranky, moody, hopeless, on edge...I hear it gets better, so I am trying to have some faith...Hang in there.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JJB

Me too maz and sweets so let's do this together. However i do think seeing a doctor is a good idea
Old 05-04-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Even tho you've not drank for three weeks, and the alcohol is all out of your system, your body and brain are 'learning' to adapt to functioning normally. THat takes a while. Also there's PAWS, Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, which means that while your body and brain are readjusting to normal, you're still going to have some ups and downs for a few weeks or months.

There's a sticky on PAWS in the Alcoholism forum, at the top of the page. Check it out for more info. Do see your doctor tho, just to make sure you're alright. Best to be safe.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by least View Post
Even tho you've not drank for three weeks, and the alcohol is all out of your system, your body and brain are 'learning' to adapt to functioning normally. THat takes a while. Also there's PAWS, Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, which means that while your body and brain are readjusting to normal, you're still going to have some ups and downs for a few weeks or months.
There's a sticky on PAWS in the Alcoholism forum, at the top of the page. Check it out for more info. Do see your doctor tho, just to make sure you're alright. Best to be safe.
That's exactly what I'm going through right now...