Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Letting someone go who you know is not good for your sobriety...

Notices

Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Has anyone had this problem? Having intense feelings for someone who you suspect will hurt you in the long run...This has happened to be before, and when I got dissapointed I would just drink even more...How do you shake these feelings and convince yourself the best thing to do is to not have contact with this person, when you have feelings for them and find it hard to forget about them? Basically how do you cut people out of your life that you know are potentially bad for you and can hurt your sobriety...I think the even harder part is learning to reroute your brain into being attacted to a different type of person, that you normally wouldn't be attracted too...I know some people might say it's simple, just cut them out, but when you develop feelings for them, that seems so hard to do.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It IS hard to do and it does hurt for a while. Can you cut down your contact with this person? See/talk to them less and less? You've got to protect your sobriety at all costs so do what's good for you in the long run.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
It IS hard to do and it does hurt for a while. Can you cut down your contact with this person? See/talk to them less and less? You've got to protect your sobriety at all costs so do what's good for you in the long run.
Yes...one of them I have no contact with anymore, haven't had any with this person in a year... the other I don't contact on my own at all, he usually gets in touch with me..I spoke to the other person about a week ago...haven't said anything to him, he hasn't said anything to me yet...and yes it definitely does hurt.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel if it's not a family member, a clean break is better than talking less and less and so forth. If it is a family member, it gets much harder. I know I'll still be talking to some people who are not good for my sobriety. I just need to reroute my anger or resentment or whatever else I'm feeling into something more productive. And yes, easier said than done.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I think it's very important to do that.

I knew instinctively, the moment I began recovery, that I had a few people, including a family member, who I had to remove from my life. They were toxic to me. And, it really made me think about the two 'friends' I had attracted to me. It jumped out at me, that I was attracting people to me, who reflected how I felt about myself. And, almost miraculously, two amazing ladies appeared in my life, who became close friends and mentors to me. They taught me exactly what I needed to know at that moment. In order words, removing the old, made space for the new and better.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Many of us have to learn to reset some healthy boundaries. In the past few weeks, I've had to look closely at the people in my life - not just drinking friends or romantic relationships but day to day friends. Lately I've felt that some people whom I thought were friends were jerking me around for their agendas and not being completely honest and open with me. There's a way in between being passive and aggressive - it is being assertive. It is not being rude, but calmly stating your rights to be treated with some respect and leaving the negative emotion behind where it belongs. Your power remains with you. It took me many years to learn that.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

There is no shame in protecting YOU. I've had to do this with 2 family members (and, it had nothing to do with my sobriety)...and while it still hurts sometimes, I am so much better emotionally.

If you don't take care of you....no one else can.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sweets my friend, Here is one point where it's important to look out for #1. Your sobriety is the most important thing in your life, and any threat to that sobriety has to be removed. Unfortunately, it's easier said than done. It's hard when you care for someone who is unhealthy for you. And the only way I can think of breaking it off is quick and clean. It'll hurt for a while and that's ok. But better short lived pain now than misery down the line. I wish you the best and we'll all be rooting for you.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michelle01 View Post
Many of us have to learn to reset some healthy boundaries. In the past few weeks, I've had to look closely at the people in my life - not just drinking friends or romantic relationships but day to day friends. Lately I've felt that some people whom I thought were friends were jerking me around for their agendas and not being completely honest and open with me. There's a way in between being passive and aggressive - it is being assertive. It is not being rude, but calmly stating your rights to be treated with some respect and leaving the negative emotion behind where it belongs. Your power remains with you. It took me many years to learn that.
Hi Michelle,

That happened to me last month...someone I had been friends with for a very long time completely turned on me...it's a long story, but there were red flags that went up with her before that I ignored (as usual) and that was a big mistake...I learned the hard way...She definitely had her own agenda and was not a true friend...Thanks for your response
Old 05-03-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Sweets my friend, Here is one point where it's important to look out for #1. Your sobriety is the most important thing in your life, and any threat to that sobriety has to be removed. Unfortunately, it's easier said than done. It's hard when you care for someone who is unhealthy for you. And the only way I can think of breaking it off is quick and clean. It'll hurt for a while and that's ok. But better short lived pain now than misery down the line. I wish you the best and we'll all be rooting for you.
You're words are very soothing and encouraging.. that means alot to me...It definitely is easier said than done...it's the hurting for awhile that I am scared will drive me back to drinking, but I have been doing good so far...The part that really helps me is posting on SR, reading other peoples stories, learning, taking advice, and learning to take it one day, even one hour at a time...I always look ahead and start worrying...Right now I'm just trying to reprogram myself to take things as they come day to day.