Notices

Barbecue Sauce with Jack Daniels

Old 05-01-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Barbecue Sauce with Jack Daniels

Today at a work function, I had barbecued chicken. I know that part of the barbecue sauce put on it while it cooked had whiskey in it. It's possible I tasted some of its flavor but not sure. My understanding is that the alcohol burns off but not sure. I was in no way looking for any kind of alcohol buzz or taste, I really just wanted to eat. I got no buzz whatsoever from this meal. In my heart I feel my sobriety is still intact. Any thoughts?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll get a range of opinions on this issue LOL
In the end the most important one is your own, Antone

D
Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I think that's a very personal choice. Myself? I'd eat it up.. I've yet to get drunk off a bottle of bbq sauce or brats boiled in beer.

Someone that knows how to do it will post the info that actually the alcohol doesn't completely cook off. A lot of people, even other than alcoholics, need to know about and avoid alcohol no matter what (due to medications they are taking, allergies, etc) so that would rule out everything like aftershave and the like (and many alcoholics avoid EVERYthing like that too).

I don't personally stress about alcohol used in cooking.. it's when it's mixed in drinks that I totally draw the line
Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You'll get a range of opinions on this issue LOL
The most important one is your own, Antone

D
Yeah, I actually agree, Dee. I was hesitant to throw it out there, thought it might seem kind of silly, but was interested in the responses. I know in my heart I did not break my sobriety. I knew a guy once who refused to use alcohol based mouthwash, so the thought about the barbecue sauce crossed my mind.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, did it taste good? If so, and you didn't get drunk, what's the problem? Wouldn't do it too often tho, me, I'd end up skipping the sauce cause it delutes the whiskey, then of course, I'd skip the meal too and just keep drinking. Everybody is different.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
If the BBQ sauce was Jack Daniel's brand (mfg by Heinz), they clearly indicate their product does not contain any alcohol. Even if it were Jack Daniel's whiskey added to a home-made concoction, the alcohol should have burned off and you ought to have nothing to worry about.

Although some might criticize me for it on this board, I continue to cook and use recipes that use copious amounts of alcohol. For example, traditional French recipes such as coq au vin and Bœuf bourguignon which call for assertive red wines. The only big difference is that I no longer quaff a bottle or two while cooking.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was a slave to alcohol. I will not be a slave to sobriety.
FWIW, AA Big Book Pg 133
"We are sure God wants us to be happy, joyous and free"
If I have to deprive myself of BBQ sauce and mouthwash, am I truly free?

BB quote, 1st Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 05-01-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Source added as per SR guidelines.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Here you go.. for what it's worth.. I don't bother with it tho, personally.

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method/Percent of Alcohol Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture: 15 minutes 40%
30 minutes
35%
1 hour
25%
1.5 hours
20%
2 hours
10%
Old 05-01-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Antone View Post
Today at a work function, I had barbecued chicken. I know that part of the barbecue sauce put on it while it cooked had whiskey in it. It's possible I tasted some of its flavor but not sure. My understanding is that the alcohol burns off but not sure. I was in no way looking for any kind of alcohol buzz or taste, I really just wanted to eat. I got no buzz whatsoever from this meal. In my heart I feel my sobriety is still intact. Any thoughts?
Aww, that's cute lol...It's just bbq sauce...I'm sure that didn't ruin your sobriety!!! I don't think you can get a buzz from bbq sauce!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by north View Post
If the BBQ sauce was Jack Daniel's brand (mfg by Heinz), they clearly indicate their product does not contain any alcohol. Even if it were Jack Daniel's whiskey added to a home-made concoction, the alcohol should have burned off and you ought to have nothing to worry about.

Although some might criticize me for it on this board, I continue to cook and use recipes that use copious amounts of alcohol. For example, traditional French recipes such as coq au vin and Bœuf bourguignon which call for assertive red wines. The only big difference is that I no longer quaff a bottle or two while cooking.
Thanks for your comments, North. Yeah, there was a big old bottle of Jack Daniels sitting there for the home made barbecue sauce (actually saw the visiting cook take a huge gulp). But your point is well-taken.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
Aww, that's cute lol...It's just bbq sauce...I'm sure that didn't ruin your sobriety!!! I don't think you can get a buzz from bbq sauce!!!
You really are sweet!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Antone View Post
You really are sweet!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As your goal is sobriety.....
why on earth did you eat food with bourbon?

You could have stayed with other things I
assume they had more than chicken?

You could have left the place rather than eat.

The only sober time I am responsible for is my own
I would not have had the dish.
I don't want another date of sobriety.

But of course....you are not me.

PC.....
f I have to deprive myself of BBQ sauce and mouthwash, am I truly free?
I thought that BB quote was about being free
from alcohol. Still do...actually.
You feel deprived if you don't use alcohol?
Hmmm

Last edited by CarolD; 05-01-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is one of those things that I personally do not worry about because it would never cause me to lose my sobriety. I do not cook with alcohol like wines or beer but if I had eaten some food that I found out had been prepared with some form of alcohol I am just not going to be concerned. I don't care if alcohol is in my mouthwash, I don't drink it and I am not about to. I am not going to worry if there are trace amounts of alcohol present in the vinegars I cook with.

This is just me though and others may have reason to be concerned.

On the other hand I have my own set of things I just don't do because I feel that I am at risk with that others may be completely comfortable with.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Love and hugs,
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I should have added ... potential relapse triggers are different for everyone, and I can understand how for some people, the smell of the essence of alcoholic drinks or even just the knowledge it was used in the recipe, might serve as a trigger.

In my own case, I feel fortunate I have not had the normal trigger/temptations like being in or near a bar or drinking establishment. Triggers can sometimes sneak up on you. For me, certain foods are strongly associated with drinking -- when my wife prepared a favorite Italian pasta dish, the very first thought that entered my head was "boy! wouldn't a nice glass of red wine go great with that!". Although I erased that almost as soon as it appeared, it still bothered me and served as a reminder to be ever vigilant.

With my sobriety approaching 90 days, I am still learning to "re-discover" favorite dishes and enjoy them without alcohol.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was in no way looking for any kind of alcohol buzz or taste, I really just wanted to eat.
That says it all for me anyway.If you were hoping for some kind of buzz?It's a different ballgame altogether.

There's obviously two very different opinions on this kind of thing here.I just know for me alcohol in food doesn't bother me at all.I bake a lot and use vanillia essence often in cakes and cookies.I also use mouthwash (not in cooking-lol-ew!)and it doesn't trigger me.But that's me.I think it's something you have to decide for yourself and if it's a problem for you?Then sure-abstain.

Jules
Old 05-02-2009, 02:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me i wouldn't have had it if i was trying to stay sober, i know what i am like my brain would think oh darn now i have a new sobriety date and pick up the bottle of JD...and then quite quickly the most amazing transformation would take place...SuperDrunkCliff, no party is too good to ruin and no human too nice to **** off!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I personally wouldn't have avoided the food, I would've avoided the function; but I'm new to sobriety and want to wait till the ice-thickens below my feet before risking anything.

Hey, I won't even use mouthwash, but only because I used to drink it out of desperation!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Yes, I do drink orange juice! Oh, wait, wrong thread.

I made cookies the other day with vanilla extract. The extract has alcohol in it. I poured about 10 bottles into the mixture...... Just kidding!

I never ate cookies to get alcohol buzzed...I eat cookies to get sugar buzzed.

I don't think I'd eat rum balls, though. I'd have to draw the line there.

In my humble opinion, it's up to you, Antone. You know what your triggers are. I wouldn't worry so much about what others think. That being said, if that barbeque sauce (or anything like that) ever makes you feel like you want to drink, then it would probably be a good idea to stay away from it.