Notices

Hi I'm Also New

Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nunia

Wink Hi I'm Also New

So glad that I found this site. Many of the posts have been so enlightening and helpful that I have been repeating them in my head. My therapist diagnosed me as an alcoholic hastily on the first visit and not an abuser but I too have a hard time wrapping my head around never being able to have a glass of wine again at dinner with my husband even though my drinking has caused so many problems in the last couple of years. I'm not sure if I will ever be able to drink again or not but I want to stay clean until I can figure it out/repair things. Or maybe I will reach that point that some have where I won't even desire it even though it seems unreachable. Oh..and not courageous enough yet to go to AA meetings so I'm very glad that I found this site for that reason as well!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

One day at a time, forget about forever.
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nunia View Post
I too have a hard time wrapping my head around never being able to have a glass of wine again at dinner with my husband Oh..and not courageous enough yet to go to AA meetings so I'm very glad that I found this site for that reason as well!
welcome!!!

Yeah, most people have a hard time wrapping their head around it, that's why we do it 'one day at a time'.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Labels are sometimes SO not helpful.. alcoholic, dependent, abuser, heavy drinker, problem drinker.. yada yada.

I'm glad you are here. For now, you've found that you're probably better off not drinking, and that's a big thing to admit and realize. Welcome!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! Take baby steps....and breathe. In early sobriety it really is one day at a time....sometimes one breath at a time.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Forever sounds incomprehensible and frightening, just try and think I am not drinking today. A day at a time
Old 05-01-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to SR!

If you visit our Alcoholism forum next door, there are some 'Stickys' at the top that are full of information i.e. members stories of what it was like when they quit, excerpts from a good book Under the Influence, etc. Give them a read if you haven't already. You may find your 'own' story contained within.

Glad to see you here - keep posting.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

This site is awesome- very supportive and has been a lifesaver for me.

As stated above - ONE DAY AT A TIME! Don't overwhelm yourself with the future! And, if necessary take it one hour at a time.

Keep coming back!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, Nunia. It's great you found us. When I arrived here I was broken and desperate. I thought it was crazy to expect a website to help ease the pain I was feeling. Today, I couldn't live without my daily dose of SR - these people have seen me through some of the most trying times of my life. Words of wisdom, support, and empathy - all delivered without judgment and lectures. We couldn't ask for more.

Let us know more about your story, and how you're doing. Sending hope up there to NYC.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you found us.....

Blessings to you and your family
Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nunia

How do I get to that forum? Couldn't find it and are the official meeting chats helpful also? Are they always at 9pm?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

The main list of forums is here: The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

You can find "alcoholism" there, and you can also find "chat meetings" that has a chat meeting schedule, a lot of people find them helpful from what I understand!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nunia

thank you and what is the name of the forum where you can read about people's past stories about what alcohol did to their lives? I couldn't find it.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The recovery stories are just a couple forums above the Alcoholism forum. Just go down the list of forums until you find one and click on that one. Lots of good info in the Alcoholism forum too. Check out the 'stickies' at the top of that forum page.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/stories-recovery/

Welcome! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. Just don't drink one day at a time. Makes it easier. And besides, you can only live one day at a time, so just don't drink one day at a time.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There's nothing to fear about AA meetings. And as once I couldn't imagine life without alcohol, now I can't imagine it with alcohol. So hang in there, take it a day at a time, try an AA meeting, and things will get better.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Glad you found us and I also want to say, don't look at it as never being able to drink again. When you wake up in the morning, be grateful you don't feel like sh*t and just tell yourself that you won't drink today. Trying to look at the rest of your life will overwhelm you.

I hope you will get to an AA Meeting soon. I promise you that when you walk in, everyone in the room isn't going to turn and look at you, come up and tell you how sorry they are that you are an alcoholic. It's quite the opposite! And if you don't want to speak, you don't have to. No one will ever tell you that you have to share anything until you're ready. When you see in the movies where a person stands up and says, "My name is Judy and I'm an alcoholic," it's because they have chosen to do that. I think you'll be really surprised at how laid back Meetings are and once you start hearing other people share their experiences, you will find that almost everything said are things you can relate to. For me, that was comforting to know that I wasn't the only person in the world who had the feelings that I do/did.

I hope you'll keep sharing, reading, posting and hang in there, it does get better.

God Bless,
Judy