Notices

dealing with sad news..

Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

dealing with sad news..

i just received some really sad news and i'm feeling ill prepared to deal with it. i just feel so selfish and ridiculous, but i'm struggling to see the light and turn it over and all that stuff. any advice?

thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

That is not a lot to go on....
Do you want to share a little more ?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lol..my bad. my mom called me about an hour ago and she sounded really, really upset. turns out she most likely has cancer, but I can tell she knows more than she is letting on. I'm just really sad about it because I live so far away. She told me to "be strong and not be worried" (which obviously just makes me more worried) but I had a good cry and feel a bit better. I guess I'll just rely on my friends for support and try not to isolate and revert back to old behavior. Her being sick has nothing to do with me being selfish, so I'm not sure why I keep going back there. It just is the second bad family situation I've had to deal with in the past day and a half, and I'm exhausted by it (my father and I are not on speaking terms..) and I'm struggling.

Hope that is more specific heh
Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Healing prayers going out to your Mother

Prayers that you and your Dad find peace.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

just have to say, ladies LOVE your girlfriends because they will always be there for you!

one of my best gal pals ordered me a nice meal and cigarettes from a resturant that delivers LOL made my entire life!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is some heavy stuff to deal with. I also live far from my family (3000 miles) So I understand that helpless feeling when all you want to do is hug someone. I was diagnosed with MS and had to tell my mom on the phone so being on the other side I am sure that was super hard for your mom. Take as many hugs as your friends can give and you can take and when you get past the sad part into the mad part scream, scream loud. Just try to get out what ever you can and only keep Positivity inside. Good luck and let us know how things unfold!!

Big Hugs
Old 04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Yes, that is better!
Wow, I am really sorry about your Mom. That is so hard.
I don't think you are being selfish but maybe you could get your mind off of it by doing something nice for your Mom?
Make a card, send flowers, something?
Wish I had more helpful advice but feel free to vent here!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

I have had to deal with some tough situations in my sobriety.

Try not to play "what-if?" scenario's in your head. Just take it one day at a time. Everything may very well turn out fine.

I also think it's okay to feel down in situations like this. We are human and when the health of our loved ones is concerned, we are going to worry. Just try not to let it overwhelm you.

Something like this could also strengthen your sobriety. You can be the strong one, there for other people. I have done this. Prayer and friends keep me focused.

Take care and be good to yourself.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I called her after I got kit kats and told her how much I love her and that I'm here for her ANY TIME she needs to talk. She totally appreciated it!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a good friend you have to order you dinner and smokes! And that was a very thoughtful phone call you made to your Mom. I'm sure she really appreciated it. Hugs. Thanks for reaching out.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Just remember, hon....drinking will not help this situation. I realize you didn't even imply that you are even thinking about it, but if things get tough....you gotta get tougher.

Lean on us, lean on your awesome gal pals.

My very, very best wishes to your mom, and to you.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Just remember, hon....drinking will not help this situation. I realize you didn't even imply that you are even thinking about it, but if things get tough....you gotta get tougher.

Lean on us, lean on your awesome gal pals.

My very, very best wishes to your mom, and to you.
My thoughts were that the best thing you could do for your mother is to stay clean and sober. It is also the best thing you can do for yourself knowing you are there for her even with a sober phone call.

:ghug3
Old 04-30-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 123bubblegum123 View Post
i just received some really sad news and i'm feeling ill prepared to deal with it. i just feel so selfish and ridiculous, but i'm struggling to see the light and turn it over and all that stuff. any advice?

thanks
Best advice I got was:
"This too shall pass".
Thanks serenityqueen!!!
It's simple. Seems almost too simple. But you don't have to use, NO MATTER WHAT.
And it really will pass. It may not seem like it now, or an hour from now, or days from now, but it will pass. And I am really happy you came here for support. :ghug3