Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Dealing with a constantly frustrating situation without drinking...

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Hi all, as some of you know I just started posting...today is my 5th day without a drink and it's hard as hell...Basically my living situation right now is LESS than desirable...My roommate is making this really hard...The person knows I am trying not to drink and still continues to frustrate me and not be supportive at all...We just got into an arguement and normally I would have a drink...because once an arguement starts it lasts all night, and even into the next day at times...I've gone to a friends house and taken a walk before to cool off, but it's still here when I get back...I know I have to move out eventually, but I am working on my sobriety first....I can't even imagine looking for a new place right now, plus I would need a higher paying job to pay the rent by myself, which is the next thing I need to do... but like I said I want to be able to get through the days and nights without a drink first...I'm so used to going for a drink when I'm frustrated/upset/dissapointed e.t.c. (not only with this, but other things going on aswell) and I can't do that today, that's how I became accustomed to dealing with these feelings...If anyone has any ideas on how to reduce these feelings without drinking I'd appreciate it...Today is really hard...Just venting, thanks for listening.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

When any of us quit drinking, our lives still happened. The good bad and ugly stuff.. and that's the key, finding new tools. What if something even MORE stressful than roommate spats were to happen in your life? Vigilance is key. Take a walk.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
When any of us quit drinking, our lives still happened. The good bad and ugly stuff.. and that's the key, finding new tools. What if something even MORE stressful than roommate spats were to happen in your life? Vigilance is key. Take a walk.
There's been plenty more that's been more stressful than this...If anyone can actually SUGGEST any tools to help, I'd appreciate it, thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I told you what works for me. Why pull attitude if you're wanting our help?

Where you live is a choice, and again you're kinda placing blame elsewhere. Someone around here who knows more than I will post the link to alllllll the hundreds of things to do instead of drink, it's got lots of suggestions!

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Exercise helps me also. It keeps me from having a drink and it's good for my constant depression. My favorite thing to do is walk my dogs. Getting out in the fresh air and sunshine is good for us both.

Another thing I do when I want to drink is come here and help a newcomer. That keeps us both sober. I also have a list (somewhere) of all the bad things about drinking. When I feel like drinking I read my list again.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There it is, chock full of stuff

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 04-30-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Exercise helps me also. It keeps me from having a drink and it's good for my constant depression. My favorite thing to do is walk my dogs. Getting out in the fresh air and sunshine is good for us both.

Another thing I do when I want to drink is come here and help a newcomer. That keeps us both sober. I also have a list (somewhere) of all the bad things about drinking. When I feel like drinking I read my list again.
Thank you for that
Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I told you what works for me. Why pull attitude if you're wanting our help?

Where you live is a choice, and again you're kinda placing blame elsewhere. Someone around here who knows more than I will post the link to alllllll the hundreds of things to do instead of drink, it's got lots of suggestions!

Good luck.
Everyones circumstances are different...no one is placing blame anywhere...I'm asking for suggestions..that is the point of my post.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Hi. Way to go on your five days! I know what an accomplishment that is. I had so many day 2's it was unreal. Day 5 is major!

Keep posting and congrats on day 5!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LibertyorDeath View Post
Hi. Way to go on your five days! I know what an accomplishment that is. I had so many day 2's it was unreal. Day 5 is major!

Keep posting and congrats on day 5!
Thank you!...
Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sweets....

way to go.,...it can be so tough dealing with things on the outside and our feelings on the inside and NOT drinking....these are the things that i ran away from for so many years each time i drank/used.

keep up the good work
Old 04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ksplash5 View Post
sweets....

way to go.,...it can be so tough dealing with things on the outside and our feelings on the inside and NOT drinking....these are the things that i ran away from for so many years each time i drank/used.

keep up the good work
THANKYOU!!! You just described EXACTLY how I feel...Very sweet and TRUE words
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You might look into a sober living house in your area.
Oxford Houses are often useful.

Prayers for your peace going out...
Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
You might look into a sober living house in your area.
Oxford Houses are often useful.

Prayers for your peace going out...
Thanks for your suggestion Carol...as you know when you're used to one way of coping with things(drinking in my case) and you stop...you wonder how to manage those feelings...That's why I posted this here...and I am very glad I did...very appreciative to all the supportive people with nice ideas and suggestions...it does make it easier
Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dear Sweets, I wish I was the one who has 100 different solutions to your problem. But unfortunately I'm not. Actually, your biggest problem is your roomie and if she/he is a threat to your sobriety then get her/him out of your life. I know that the thought of moving is hard right now, but it's something you should focus on. Maybe find someone who would go in with you on a new place to live. You're smart to walk away from arguments right now. We all know how hard the stuff you're going through is, especially with a very fragile sobriety. It's great that you've got 5 days, but it's also really hard at this point to face life's problems without going back to the old solution - booze. So feel free to keep venting if that helps. That's what we're here for. And you didn't mention it, but have you tried AA? You'll get a lot of support and advice there.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Dear Sweets, I wish I was the one who has 100 different solutions to your problem. But unfortunately I'm not. Actually, your biggest problem is your roomie and if she/he is a threat to your sobriety then get her/him out of your life. I know that the thought of moving is hard right now, but it's something you should focus on. Maybe find someone who would go in with you on a new place to live. You're smart to walk away from arguments right now. We all know how hard the stuff you're going through is, especially with a very fragile sobriety. It's great that you've got 5 days, but it's also really hard at this point to face life's problems without going back to the old solution - booze. So feel free to keep venting if that helps. That's what we're here for. And you didn't mention it, but have you tried AA? You'll get a lot of support and advice there.
Thankya for that Joe! You really said it all right there...it is very fragile right now..Your words are very calming...Might sound silly, but posting on here actually calmed me down...As faras the AA meetings, I looked online in my area and they haven't updated it...They still have the schedule for 08! I was going to see if there's a number I can call... I'd prefer an all women's meeting, even if there aren't any in my area...I will drive a little further.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Always focus on the FACT that drinking does NOTHING to solve or alleviate problems.

That helps me, I must always realize that drinking won't help, it will only hurt.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sweets7, having liquor in the house when you are trying to stay sober is a big challenge. We were talking about this the other day in one of my AA groups and people report not being able to have alcohol in their house when they first got sober...anywhere from 1 to 10 years.
You are living with a roommate. Is this person in a relationship with you or are you simply sharing a living space?
Have you discussed having some rules about alcohol? If this roommate is just a roommate and not anything more, could you ask him/her to keep their liquor locked up?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sweets funny you should bring this up, here is what my experience is on this that I just finished typing in another post, basically how I use the Serenity prayer:

One of the most beneficial things I have learned to help me in my day to day life I picked up out of the BB & the rooms. When ever I get angry, frustrated, confused, etc., just STOP!!!!!!

When I feel strong emotions or confusion coming on I have found that if I can just STOP!!! Do absolutley NOTHING immediately, in other words I do not react, I calm myself by finding a quiet spot even if it is just in my head..... slowly think about what is going on and ask myself a question like "Is there anything involved with this that I have control over?" If the answer is yes, then I need to calmly decide what is the right action to take, this decision may involve some silent prayer/meditation or now that I am calm the right answer may be quite appearant, if not I will seek the advice of someone who may have a good answer.

Okay now here is where it gets a bit tough, if the answer to the question "Is there anything involved with this that I have control over?" is no, then I simply accept it for what it is, something I can not change or control I just turn it over to my HP or what ever powers may be that does have control.

It takes time and practice to STOP, but I can tell you that I make far fewer mistakes and amends then I did when I was drinking and hold no resentments nor do I have any guilt or shame over my actions. Life is good when I apply the above.
Keep your sobriety #1 as you said you are doing, just do what you have to do and accept what you have to accept, not always easy, but when done life becomes smoother, not perfect, or even great, but smoother.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sweets, go to this website, plug in your zip code and I can assure you that you will find a phone number there. Alcoholics Anonymous AA in (most of) New York State