Notices

Hi i'm new

Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi i'm new

Hi I'm new here and it has taken me most of the day to work out how to post a new thread!!
I think i'm an alcoholic as going for a even a day without drinking is a great challenge to me.I'd really like to change this but I have to admit a life without ever drinking again sounds rather daunting. I once stopped for three months and I felt great-I lost loads of weight too but of course i thought it would be ok to just enjoy one glass of wine and.........
I've read all the books that say that for people like me drinking reasonably isn't an option (i'm so jealous of those who can!) so i'm hoping to try to give up for good.
I'm really impressed by many of the posts i've already read on the site.You seem like a great team
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

This is a wonderful site. You will find tons of support here and answers to your questions. I am a newbie too. This isn't the first time I have tried quitting booze. Try not to look at it like this is for the rest of your life. As you said, that is very daunting! I can't look at it that way right now. For the time being, concentrate on just not drinking for today! If you have to, break it down into hours or minutes - don't project too far in the future or you will get discouraged and overwhelmed. One thing I know for sure is I can't do this alone. I have recently attended some AA meetings and have found it to be very reassuring that there are people out there who know exactly where I am coming from! AA has validated a lot of my insecurities about quitting. As I listen to the stories, there is ALWAYS someone there that I can directly relate to. Also, the people here on SR have been very welcoming and supportive and I use this site any chance I get.

Keep coming back!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Welcome I hope you get all the support you need. I am an alcoholic also, have not drank in quite a while now. I use A.A. I also like coming here. There is a great life to be had after drink. I also thought it was daunting the thoughts of stopping....but not as daunting as my future looked with drink. I have a great life now and seldom think of drink.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome - SR is a great place.

For me it has helped to build new stuff not just stop the old stuff (wine for me too).. The sobriety has started to become its own reward..

good to have you here!!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Glad you decided to join us and glad to hear you've made the decision to not drink. . . even if it's just for today. You mentioned that you've read a lot of books on addiction, then I'm sure you've heard One Day at A Time. I can't emphasize how important it is to just make it through the day you're on. Looking at a commitment for a lifetime will overwhelm just about anyone.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi JJB and Welcome!!

You are in the right place my friend. I was exactly where you were at several months back. The wonderful thing that I found out is that it is possible to stop drinking without craving, needing or missing it. I found out that I could not do it alone and with help it actually has been a great experience. I got the help through AA and found that it worked wonderfully for me.

Glad you are here!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Im glad you signed up
Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi JJB,
I am glad you found us and that you have the desire to stop drinking. Keep reading the posts and if you have any questions, just ask. We are here to support and encourage you.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR JJB, as others have said, forget that lifetime stuff, keep it simple and just do not drink today. I like many others here use AA and it has been awesome for me as well. There are other recovery programs out there, but AA happens to be the one most find long term sobriety in.

Hang around, ask questions.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi & welcome to SR. I am an Alcoholic and Drug Addict in recovery. I go to AA meetings and find that they help me in staying sober. I stay sober One Day at a Time. Good Luck and keep posting
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JJB

Thanks for such a welcome and some questions

Thanks for all these great messages of welcome and support. That elephant dancing really made me laugh!
I've heard so much about AA -good and bad , but one of the reasons i thought this forum seemed such a good idea was first of all the anonymity and also the fact that everytime i feel tempted to drink i thought i could switch on my computer.
My questions may seem rather daft but having seen your encouragements i'm going to ask anyway:
Why does giving up drinking give me much the same symptoms as a hangover:headaches, irritability and how long will this last for? Even when i stopped drinking for three months i still kept thinking about it all the time.
Also i worry that becoming so centred on my drinking/notdrinking could become like an addiction/obsession itself. For example if you want to lose weight and keep thinking about it then you keep thinking about food which makes it all the more difficult not to eat. It seems almost like self flagellation
Also what do you suggest drinking instead? Do you think diet coke is a good idea ? i'm afraid just water won't work. I really do like having a drink in my hand and fruit juice is only nice in certain quantities-if only my body could be so reasonable about wine!
Thanks again to everyone who replied to my post
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi,

Be sure to read Carol sticky found in the Alcoholism section on quitting, great information here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

As far as fluids you need tons of them when you stop drinking, gatorade with electrolytes is a good choice unless you are sugar sensitive. Doctor care during WD is highly recommended!

They crankiness and not feeling so well is very normal for a few days but it does pass. Then the peace you can start to feel without having a poison in your system is fantastic. I never realized how much alcohol taxed my system.

Take care!!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

JJB do not let the negative you have heard about AA sway you, hundreds of thousands of sober alcoholics owe thier life to it, but I will be the first one to say that AA is not for every one. WHy not give 3 or 4 meetings a try and decide for your self?

Every AA meeting is different, kind of like churches, you may go to one church and find it totally unacceptable to you and then go to another and find it mediacre and a third one and think it is awesome, yet stratch your head wondering why are they different? The people are what is different even if the faith is the same.

If you go to some AA meetings and do not like them there are other good recovery programs out there, try them as well.

Why does giving up drinking give me much the same symptoms as a hangover:headaches, irritability and how long will this last for?
Physical addiction in regards to the headaches and the like, simple withdrawals. Now the irratability, the obsession with a drink, that is in the head once the physical withdrawals are totally gone.

I will speak strictly for me, but I drank for enough years to where I had forgotten how to live life sober. Alcohol was my solution to all my problems for many years, it was my entertainment, my joy, it actually became my life. I carried around a lot of guilt, shame and resentments that I simply did not know how to deal with any other way then drinking.

It is kind of weird, I have had to relearn almost everything my parents tried to teach me about how to live life. The steps of AA and the fellowship of AA have led me to having the ability to deal with life on lifes terms sober, free of guilt, shame, resentments, and of the obsession for alcohol.

Other drinks???? Well whgen I first stopped I experimented, I drink coffee, iced tea, some sodas, every one is different, but trust me there are far more non-alcoholic beverages then there are alcoholic ones.

You ever wonder why there are so many alcoholic drinks that bend over backwards trying to taste like non-alcoholic drinks? Could it be that non-alcoholic drinks actually taste better? LOL
Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by JJB View Post
Hi I'm new here and it has taken me most of the day to work out how to post a new thread!!
I think i'm an alcoholic as going for a even a day without drinking is a great challenge to me.I'd really like to change this but I have to admit a life without ever drinking again sounds rather daunting. I once stopped for three months and I felt great-I lost loads of weight too but of course i thought it would be ok to just enjoy one glass of wine and.........
I've read all the books that say that for people like me drinking reasonably isn't an option (i'm so jealous of those who can!) so i'm hoping to try to give up for good.
I'm really impressed by many of the posts i've already read on the site.You seem like a great team
Hi...I just joined the site a couple of days ago, and I have really gotten alot of good advice and support ...I also stopped drinking for a bit awhile back (1 month to be exact), I also lost weight some weight, God knows how fattening alcohol can be...but like you said...I allowed myself one drink and that started it again...I was able to maintain not having too much until something stressful happened, and I couldn't deal with the emotion, so I went back to drinking daily...I don't think at this point I can think about my whole life without a drink...I can't even think about waking up and not having one just to get that initial buzz to get my day started...I've been doing good for 5 days now though...The more I post and read here, the more hope I get...Good luck
Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi,

I totally relate to the obsessing thing. I have been told that just the fact that I am always thinking about drinking and "how can I ever have fun again without booze" is an indicator that I have a problem with alcohol. "Normal" drinkers don't obsess about booze. That, in itself, is reason enough for me to know I have a problem. Alcoholism is very "cunning and baffling" and will always try to lure you back. It is relentless.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I, too, turn my computer on instead of picking up a drink. This site has been a lifesaver!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
JJB do not let the negative you have heard about AA sway you, hundreds of thousands of sober alcoholics owe thier life to it, but I will be the first one to say that AA is not for every one. WHy not give 3 or 4 meetings a try and decide for your self?

Every AA meeting is different, kind of like churches, you may go to one church and find it totally unacceptable to you and then go to another and find it mediacre and a third one and think it is awesome, yet stratch your head wondering why are they different? The people are what is different even if the faith is the same.

If you go to some AA meetings and do not like them there are other good recovery programs out there, try them as well.

Physical addiction in regards to the headaches and the like, simple withdrawals. Now the irratability, the obsession with a drink, that is in the head once the physical withdrawals are totally gone.

I will speak strictly for me, but I drank for enough years to where I had forgotten how to live life sober. Alcohol was my solution to all my problems for many years, it was my entertainment, my joy, it actually became my life. I carried around a lot of guilt, shame and resentments that I simply did not know how to deal with any other way then drinking.

It is kind of weird, I have had to relearn almost everything my parents tried to teach me about how to live life. The steps of AA and the fellowship of AA have led me to having the ability to deal with life on lifes terms sober, free of guilt, shame, resentments, and of the obsession for alcohol.

Other drinks???? Well whgen I first stopped I experimented, I drink coffee, iced tea, some sodas, every one is different, but trust me there are far more non-alcoholic beverages then there are alcoholic ones.

You ever wonder why there are so many alcoholic drinks that bend over backwards trying to taste like non-alcoholic drinks? Could it be that non-alcoholic drinks actually taste better? LOL
Haha that's a great point...I was so used to drinking whiskey and vodka straight that when I would go out and order a mixed drink, like a Mojito, I'd ask everyone of they tried to gyp me on the liquor because I couldn't taste it, lol.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

HI! Welcome to SR! You will find so much information, advice, and friends here! I love SR!!! It's been such a huge relief and help to me on my journey to recovery.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JJB

Thanks again

I'm really over the moon to be suddenly in contact with so many supportive people. i probably will one day pick up the courage to go to an AA meeting but for the moment i really appreciate all your comments. Now would be the time i'd be craving for my first drink of the evening but instead i'm tapping away here at my computer and have just downed two diet cokes. Instead of thinking how pathetic to not be able to go for a week without a drink i'm taking heed of the advice given in one of the many helpful posts you've sent me and am congratulating myself for how many hours i've gone and am looking forward to waking up tomorrow morning without a hangover. Only problem is if i keep on with all these diet cokes this evening the coffee will stop me from sleeping!