Notices

Need to stop, detox, withdrawal questions

Old 04-30-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to stop, detox, withdrawal questions

Hi All.

Long time drinker, 43yo. 7-12 drinks per night. Starting last sept/oct began taking ativan nightly as well as drinking. Dec/jan slowed down drinking, took more ativan at night to sleep and started needing during the day. End of feb wanted to stop drinking, doc gave librium to detox, stopped about 9 days, withdrawal wasn't too bad but couldn't stop benzos. Tried ashton, failed, began drinking again, about 4 weeks ago stopped benzos, kept drinking to cover. First week lots of whiskey at night to sleep. Withdrawal from benzos sucked but alcohol definitely helped cover. Now about a month out from benzos, drinking 8-12 per night.

Want to stop, considering medical detox but want to try at home this weekend. Have Dr appt friday and will discuss options, don't want benzos, I was/am addicted to them.. Have read carbamazepine, tegretol, is used and can help.

If I stop tonight, or try, how bad will I be tomorrow night, and weekend. Need to be able to work. So scared of detox/withdrawals and to be honest also scared of life without alcohol.. I've done it before and don't really recall bad withdrawals but I know this time won't be so easy. Was trying to cut down to 3-4 drinks per night before stopping but have not been able to do it. made it til around 10pm last night with 3 drinks, then had 4-5 in the next hour or so before going to bed and didn't sleep too well..

insomia also scares me, I had that bad while taking valium in march, just scared of the next few days. I know if I make it throught 3-4-5 days I should be ok. Need to stop for me, for my health and for my kids too.. So f'd up lately.

Have been taking multi vitamin for months and recently added b complex. Can drink coffee again, couldn't when in benzo hell...

I know AA, will go to meeting tonight. Hope to get through the worst of withdrawals. What will help make withdrawal easier?? If I go to a detox how long will they keep me?? Dear God please help me thru..
Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

going to detox will be the "most comfortable way"....

in addition detoxing on your own has higher rate of dying.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome,

Talking to your dr is the best thing you can do.

To get information about detox, you can call the center you would be interested in going to, and ask for information about their routines.

I wish you well, I know it's scary.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Dear God please help me thru.
Solice that line can be the only thing that may stand between you and a drink one day after you get sober, I turned the booze over to my HP and he took it!

Want to stop, considering medical detox but want to try at home this weekend. Have Dr appt friday and will discuss options,
When I saw the doc I was thinking the home detox as well, the doctor convinced me that medical inpatient detox was the safest and best way to go..... I am thankful that I was willing for once in my life to listen to some one!!!!

If I stop tonight, or try, how bad will I be tomorrow night, and weekend.
That is different for every person and one of the reasons you need to be TOTALLY honest with your doctor in regards to how much you drink, how long you have drank, and what happens to you when you drink. You also need to let the doctor know if you are taking ANY drugs of any type.

Detoxing from alcohol can and does kill people all the time, a medical detox is the safest and easiest way to detox.

insomia also scares me
Less or more then cirrosis of the liver? Trust me you will not die from lack of sleep and in the long run your sleeping patterns will return to normal.

What will help make withdrawal easier??
What ever the doctor says, I was medically detoxed and I slept just fine, they gave me quite a concoction of pills & vitamins that kept away the seizures and my blood pressure under control and I slept like a baby.

If I go to a detox how long will they keep me??
It varies, from 3-5 days, I was there for 5, they will keep you there long enough to make sure that you are fully physically withdrawn.

I know AA, will go to meeting tonight.
That is what they told us every day in detox, "If you all want a CHANCE to stay sober go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor!" I balked at the 90 meetings in 90 days when speaking to my counselor in detox, he said "Okay, are you willing commit to spend as much time working on your recovery in AA as you did drinking?" Well he had me there, I drank every day from 1PM until I passed out or went to bed, so I did a lot more then 90 meetings in 90 days.

In reality detoxing was the easiest part, that staying sober was a real bear for quite a while, but the fellowship of AA, the program of AA, and my HP made it possible and worth while.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Solice,
Congrats on doing something about your drinking problem. I am glad you have an appointment with your Doctor on Friday and will discuss detox options. As everyone has pointed out alcohol detox unassisted is very dangerous for many reasons. Medical assistance can provide drugs to greatly reduce the likelihood of having a seizure, keep you hydrated properly and monitor you vitals. In my case my blood pressure went totally ballistic and I had to have meds to help control it.

When I got out of the hospital I immersed myself in AA, went to a lot of meetings, got a Sponsor right away and worked the steps. No cravings or relapses or desires for alcohol at all now and am sober for 17 months.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

just wanted to say "welcome!" keep reaching out, k
Old 04-30-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Talk HONESTLY with your doctor.

There are few, if any, 'shortcuts'... and we're talking about your life here.

Alcohol & benzos are a serious combination, both are VERY hard to stop using.

"I know if I make it throught 3-4-5 days I should be ok."

Forget everything 'you know' and listen to the doc, because you don't know.

Stay focused on being clean & sober - keep coming back.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Medical supervision during detox is a good idea and the safest way to get thru withdrawals. Please be honest with your doctor so he/she can help you the best. Keep coming back here, lots of support on this site. Read, ask questions, post as you like. I'm glad you found us. It IS possible to get and stay sober, but you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.

Love your avatar, by the way!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi ((Solice))
you have gotten some great advice..
Just wanted to welcome you to SR...
Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....professional advice is the best idea.
Please ask your doctor on how to proceed.

....Welcome to SR!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

solice how'd you do?

I am facing similar sitation and wondering if 30 day inpatient is the way to go...