Notices

Busy Sponsor

Old 04-29-2009, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Busy Sponsor

I have a great sponsor in AA. He is always willing to talk, and has been very helpful in my recovery. The only problem is my step work. He is a very busy person due to his job, and has not had a lot of time to spend showing me how to go about working the steps. I have been reading the big book and 12 and 12 on my own, and using a workbook I downloaded off the internet. I plan on showing him the work I have done using the workbook. Maybe I am just not being patient, and he has a plan for me, I just don't know. I am not really familiar with how the whole process works. I am sure it is different for everyone. I have over eight months sobriety, and it took me six months to choose this sponsor. I really believe he has been a tremendous help. Am I being to impatient?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome VB

have you discused this with your sponsor?

as far as being impatient...

thats what we do, and what we are working on changing!

good wishes VB

rz
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR soberinvb!

As Rusty suggested I will as well, talk to your sponsor, now I will share my experience, my first sponsor was a great guy and was available and helpful as he was able to be, he worked a lot and traveled a lot as well, I was really struggliing and wanted/needed to take the steps but he simply did not have the time to take me through them in fairly short order (I was 2 months sober at the time). I switched sponsors after we spoke and he said honestly he did not have the time to properly devote to taking me through the steps. I asked another man to be my sponsor who did have the time to take me through the steps and he agreed to do so.

Well before I had a year he had taken me through the steps at a pace that both he and I were comfortable with me understanding and taking the steps. The steps worked as described in the BB made all the difference in the world for me.

I would suggest talking to your sponsor. Keep in mind there are no rules in AA so you could if it is okay with your present sponsor get another sponsor to just take you through the steps which in reality is the primary purpose of a sponsor anyhow.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate the advice. I guess I still have trust issues to deal with. It took me six months of listening to different people sharing to choose a sponsor. It has not been easy opening up to another person about my life. I understand that the issues my alcoholism have presented me are not unique, but offering myself inner self to another has been new. I have never done that with anyone in my life. I know I need to talk with him and find out what his intentions are for me, and if I need to find someone else to help me with working through the steps. I know that this way of life has saved me, and that I need to put in all the work to make me better. Again, thanks for the advice.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberinvb View Post
I have a great sponsor in AA. He is always willing to talk, and has been very helpful in my recovery.
Those are nice qualities in a sponsor. It's good to have people to talk to that are like minded.

Originally Posted by soberinvb View Post
The only problem is my step work. He is a very busy person due to his job, and has not had a lot of time to spend showing me how to go about working the steps.
Whoops. What is a sponsor for if not to sit down with you and work the steps of recovery? If it were me, I'd definately ask this person about the steps. I don't sponsor everyone exactly the same. But I do sit down with everyone I sponsor and go through the book. In there, we find a bunch of directions which I ask that person to take. Then we discuss the details of how to take those directions. I show them what I did and what I do. Not exactly the same for everyone, but pretty close.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're working hard and I hope you work things out with your sponsor.