Sons Birthday

Old 04-26-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Sons Birthday

Ok its my sons 25th Birthday and I have'nt bought him a present. Reason - I dont know what to do.
Since he was 16 he has traded in every present I bought him for cash to buy drugs. He has'nt used for 6 months that I know of and Im angry he sold the things I bought him over the years.
I thought about something I could do that he could trade in but I cant think of anything.
Any suggestions out there?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

how about taking him out to lunch or dinner?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For Christmas, my addict asked for jewelery and a Wii, etc etc etc.. but I knew that he'd pawn anything I'd get him by that time... so I purchased all of his gifts at the "99-cent Only" store and the "Nothing over $5" store in the mall... wrapped everything separately, and the $1/$5 jewelry looked really nice and authentic. I don't think I spent more than $25 dollars + some new underwear and socks at target. Then, when it slowly broke or disappeared I really didn't feel bad about the loss... Wrapping separately makes it look like more, and the small grin I got in the glimmer in his eyes that he actually got "good presents" was all mine in the end..

Plus, I was really gald that I hadn't spent a lot when I opened MY Christmas gifts from him * TWO $5 JIGSAW PUZZLES*...

And that's all I'll say about that...
Old 04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

I agree with SerenityBound- lunch or dinner is a way to say I love you and Happy Birthday without wondering what he'll do with his gift. You'll be there to see him consume it. I understand the concern that you're feeling. I hope you find a solution that leaves you feeling comfortable. Thinking of you...
-Holly
Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've often gone the route of clothes...simple needed things.
I think, when they are trying to do well, a new pair of shorts, or shirt can make them feel better about themselves at a time when they most likely suffer some esteem issues.

The lunch or dinner is a good idea as well.

Congrats to him on his six months!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with the lunch/dinner idea, plus you could always take in a movie afterward. Spending time with each other would be the best gift you could give to both of you. And if he is clean he should understand not getting something he could sell.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

I like the idea of creating a memory, by doing something together that you will both enjoy, because it's something that lasts.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
BBD

I agree with the lunch or dsinner time together. Another good girft if he drives is a membership to AAA. That was one of the best things I have given my son. No more phone calls for help!!! LOL Enjoy~~ Bonnie
Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My addict future step-son asked his father for cash for his upcoming birthday....I like your idea of a dinner out together!

Congratulations on your son's 6 months!!

HG
Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

for my son at christmas i bought him practical gifts that he needed. underwear, socks, cologne, new electric razor, guitar strings, - nothing expensive and only items he needed.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Thanks for responding and what great ideas. I'll tell you what I decided to do in the end.
I bought him a new bed layout - quilt, sheets etc etc as I knew what he had was pretty old and also bought him a very nice bedside lamp as I remembered months ago he said he needed one. All up it cost $80A so i was happy.
All the family came over for a bbq tea and we had birthday cake. He was very happy with his gifts.
Luv you all.
Jo
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Happy to hear your son is doing well and you celebrated his special day together and sober..