Time & working a program DOES make a difference

Old 08-13-2003, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Time & working a program DOES make a difference

Well guys, 10 months ago I was crying and falling apart after my daughter admitted she had a drug & alcohol problem. Why this can't be happening to us!!! She has been raised in a good home! She has been taught right from wrong! We have instilled in her good values! She is smart! She has so much going for her so why would she do this? And on and on and on......

Today she called from rehab. Today is her graduation date. Today when she called to thank me for the flowers & balloons we sent her, I launched into humming the 'graduation song' (whatever that tune is they play at all high school graduations.)

I then said, as though it were her speaking, "Fellow graduates, it is with great honor that I, Hangin' In's daughter, Soberlutorian of the Class of 2003, address you today. My hope for you and myself is a life of sober living (that just happens to be the name of the halfway house where she is going to live) and world peace. Thank you. Thank you very much."

And the crowd goes wild. Or, at least her mom and dad are. We are so proud of our 'soberlutorian'.

Yep, time and working a program does make a difference. (And I'm speaking of myself and Mr. Hangin' In. Can't speak for Lil Hangin' In. She has to do that for herself, right?) So thank you all for being here when I've cried, bellyached and whined. Today I feel grateful. (Of course that doesn't mean I won't cry, bellyache and whine tomorrow, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum.... )

Ya'll are the greatest. So in celebration, I have.....

GRITS for everyone....

Love,

Hangin' In
Old 08-13-2003, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AWESOME!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY! YOU ARE RIGHT, TIME AND WORKING A PROGRAM DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! MY HUBBY IS 52 DAYS CLEAN TODAY AND I WAS DOING ALOT OF THE WHINING AND CRYING TOO! HE IS WORKING A PROGRAM AND I AM WORKING MY ALANON PROGRAM AND I CONTINUE TO PRAY EVERY DAY THAT GOD WILL WATCH OUT FOR US ALL..
GOD BLESS,
MARY
Old 08-13-2003, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

And congratulations to you Hangin' for working your program so well.

I, angel and godmother (and a buncha other names I'd rather not mention) hereby confer upon you the diploma of excellence, which comes with its very own tiara....the tiara of transfiguration for changing from a full blooded codie to a recovering and serene mom.

Now pass those Grits!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HOLD ON A MINUTE THERE, ANN!!!! As they say in AA, "I presume to know nothing" cause if I think I know something about this recovery thing, then that is when a relapse will jump up and bite me in my cute southern fanny!!!! Ok, so leave off the 'cute' there... Ya know, those whining attacks just jump all over ya before ya know it!...lol.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

And ya'll know where to whine now don'tcha??? I am so happy for you and for her!

Be sure to come back after she is home an has her perky sober self on your last nerve!

LOL!
JT
Old 08-13-2003, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, JT, I may be dumb but I AIN'T STOOOOOOOOOOOPID! I'm voting for her to go straight from halfway house to an apartment, preferably OUT OF TOWN!!!!!!!!!... Well, don't look at me like that. I learned that point of view from YOU and ANN and LIDDY and SMOKES and GLENDA and JEWEL, etc., etc., etc.

Now pat yourself on the back. You taught me well....
Old 08-13-2003, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Now there ya go again, Hangin' . Codie mom's smile and wave as their children are pulling AWAY from the train station and cry when they come home LOL LOL LOL.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Ann,

Ain't that the truth LOL

Hugs Hangin!
Old 08-17-2003, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hangin'In

Guess you and I came to this forum about the same time as it's been nine months for me. I do believe that your's is more of a success story than mine. Meaning your daughter has done better because she went for help. My son is still in denial!

Anyway, congratulations to you both! Isn't it the truth about our whinning??? I was a chocolate mess before I found these wonderful ladies! I feel like I have known them all my life!

I wonder if they even know how much they have helped people like us? The only way I feel able to repay their kindness is to follow their lead and do what they suggest! Right Ann??

Hey Hangin'In, where are you from? I'm assuming it's the South since you mentioned Grits and such! Well, let me tell you about the bugs "no see ems" that I am still suffering from! I look like I have a dreaded disease Not to mention the six infections on my feet from the fire ants! I won't be visiting Florida anytime soon again, at least not till I heal

Congratulations again, Hugs, Devastated
Old 08-17-2003, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Dev

I came here with my heels dug in and sinking fast, but those who went before me kindly prodded them out and chased me with the skillet until I got it, LOL.

And I was told that the only way I can keep it is to give it away, so please help yourself

I am just grateful that we all found each other. We may be a tad dysfunctional but we are true steel magnolias.

Love you all!!!

Hugs
Ann