The best thing ever just happened

Old 04-25-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The best thing ever just happened

I just had a chat with Joe, about life in general, life that has been and what it could be. It's his birthday tomorrow and he'll be twellve, he's lived with me for a few days over a year now, his mum and dad are both gone, one to cancer and one to addcition, he's such a surprisingly happy boy. He's very much 'older than his years' way too mature in some ways of thinking for a boy his age. I love him to bits. I brought up the subject of adoption, we talked for a while about what it means and why we should and shouldn't do it, my eldest son Dan was here too and chatting with us.

I'm in tears right now, Dan told Joe he'd love him to be his baby brother, Joe said he couldn't think of a better pair of big brothers and just told me to go for it (but I'm not allowed extra kisses just because I adopt him)

This means the world to me, the fact that Joe is happy with us, he's happy enough to stay with us and he knows the implications of adoption and he's happy for me to go ahead with it. I just wish it was sooo different, wish he had his mum and dad, but he doesn't, so life goes on.

We're cool, we're getting there, more so than I thought. I love my kids, all three of them!
Old 04-25-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't stop crying, the kids have all gone to bed and I'm crying buckets. But it's the first happy crying I've done in ages.

It's his birthday tomorrow but Joe's given me the best gift ever.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, gosh, Lucy, you've got me crying too. My little dog is looking at me all worried (there's no way to explain "happy tears" to a worried pug)

You are such a wonderful woman. Would you adopt all of us? We'd love to Joe's big siblings too.
:ghug
Old 04-25-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
Oh, gosh, Lucy, you've got me crying too. My little dog is looking at me all worried (there's no way to explain "happy tears" to a worried pug)

You are such a wonderful woman. Would you adopt all of us? We'd love to Joe's big siblings too.
:ghug
I'm sorry GiveLove, I could at a push squeeze another little lad in somewhere, but I'm happy with the ones Ive got for now

I'm not so wonderful, Joe's family, he's one of us, I love him to bits even though he leaves his fishing stuff all over the place, and brings kitchen roll home every time i send him to the shop for toilet roll.

He said to me tonight, you don't have to do it Aunty Lorraine (that's my name, not Lucy, she was my gran, but theres no one to hide from now) he said solicitors cost too much money. I just told him he was worth it, I've been paying one for months and we've still managed to eat so it's OK.

I'm sorry I can't adopt all of you, but I'll be your virtual adoptive mom if you like

You know I would have never got here if it wasn't for everyone here, here is where I found my strength and my SELF. I thank God for you all every day, and I don't 'do' God lol
Old 04-25-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh Lorraine, I'm so happy for all of you, what a wonderful family you've created out of so much unhappiness and tragedy, you really are amazing. This is the best birthday present Joe could have because he obviously loves you to bits and now he'll be officially your son, and have a 'proper' family.

Happy tears here too. So proud of you all. You'll have wonderful times togther, through thick and thin.
X
Old 04-25-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm crying here too! Congratulations on your new son!

P.S. Don't sell yourself short, you are wonderful!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

God Bless you for taking care of Joe. He is a lucky boy, and you are a lucky family to have him too.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can't help but imagine what Joe's life would be, if you weren't a part of it. I think you've given him the best gift, ever.

You are a shining example of compassion in the face of adversity.

CLMI
Old 04-25-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh my, and I ran out of kleenex yesterday!!!!!!!!! :ghug :ghug
Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Oh my, and I ran out of kleenex yesterday!!!!!!!!! :ghug :ghug
We got loads of kitchen towels if that'll do.
No toilet roll or tissues though
Old 04-26-2009, 01:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

awwwww that's wonderful news :ghug3

congratulations!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this wonderful news, Lucy. Knowing that recovery does work, in such deeply moving ways, is itself an awesome gift.

Mike
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Lucy/Lorraine)))

There is nothing like Happy Tears, especially after the past few years of unhappy ones. I love that your son verbalized his feelings to Joe. Sometimes it's the kids who move the other kids forward, so much more so that we adults. Our role seems to be more of the one who provides a safe haven for personal growth, sprinkled with tons of unconditional love, good cooking, and clean beds to crawl into each night. I think Joe probably does know how lucky he is. But it's really cool that you and your other sons realize how lucky you are all to have Joe, too. Everyone wins. Thanks for such an uplifting, touching post!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How wonderful for you all.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your post brought tears to my eyes! God bless you every one! :-)
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Lucy, when I read this I was overwhelmed with joy for you, your family and dear Joe...wonderful!..... as I have followed your story from the beginning...God Bless you all...
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
cmc

Lucy....

I'm happy to shed some grateful tears along with the rest here on this forum.
I'm so proud of you, Joe and your boys and am sending my best wishes, hopes and prayers for even happier days ahead.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ditto on the tears---my tea is getting salty!
It's huge that your sons feel so positive about it too!

peace--b
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Oh Lucy, such wonderful news, made my day. And my week. I am so happy for all of you!! I am glad your sons welcome him, and I am glad a kid out there will be able to get a real home and family... Thank you, thank you for sharing!!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What a tingling and exciting story to brighten up my day. You all deserve the best of everything you want and need to be happy together. No wonder you are floating with joy, after that all happened.

I think the Kleenex Company should give an award to SR, as this site must be responsible for tons of their tissues being used every month. I don't come on here without making sure the tissue box is very handy, and haven't read thru all the posts without at least using half a dozen.

God bless you all even more.