Notices

Friday night blues

Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday night blues

Hi all,

Well, here I sit. My whole subdivision is doing the party thing. I can't help but feel left out of the action. WTF? This really sucks. My brain just keeps taunting me - "come on Moe, you don't have a problem. A few drinks isn't going to harm you". And, as usual, the memory of my last drunk is really starting to dim in my mind and I am being tricked into thinking I don't have a problem with this. When will it end?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always find a group of kids to play with so that usually keeps me away from many adult situations. I don't get offered a drink, and the tween and teenagers get to clobber me at basketball/baseball/or whatever they are playing. Heck, I even got a relay race going once....no one wanted me on their team...the old lady couldn't fun fast enough.

It gets easier, really, it does.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is other action out there, but you gotta look...

Hey, I felt SO MUCH like you do now... Like I was the kid who had to stand in the corner and couldn't do what the grown ups were... Yea, it sucks... That's why YOU gotta change.

For me, it took, or is taking, I'm only 7 months... a spiritual awakening, a psychic change. I had to SEEK it to FIND it... I read everything...I...could...find...on recovery. AA literature, Tolle, Augesten Burroughs (Dry), Tao of Sobriey... Lots of stuff here on SR... I posted alot too... like you are. Oh yea, small detail, I am a enthusiastic member of AA!

It gets better, I promise. I just finished a delightful evening listen to some great music and doing a hobby I like... I'm psyched...

It will end, but it won't just end by itself. Hang in there friend...

Mark
Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. I will be in the same boat on Sunday night and my brain is already starting to nag about it - "c'mon dont be ridiculous you dont have a problem, stop over reacting, you've learnt your lesson, just stick to one or two, relax" blah blah blah how easily it forget the last monster hangover only 4 days ago!!!! yeah the one where I spent the night shaking and sweating and all the next day sitting like a zombie on the couch in misery, remorse, guilt and tears.... all that after a "dvd night, dinner with a glass of wine" that turned into so so much more.

But I'm rambling. Hang in there! I am too and will be on Sunday!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

It does get easier.

In fact, I now ENJOY being the sober one! I love watching the drunks and thanking my lucky stars I'm not one of them anymore. In fact, it helps keep me sober.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel the same as you. But its my friends on facebook posting that they are enjoying that bottle of wine, or had a great night drinking with friends. I wish I could do that but I just go in too far. Hugs to you.