Notices

Have assessment/intake for alcohol rehab tomorrow

Old 04-22-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have assessment/intake for alcohol rehab tomorrow

Hello all, another NB here. I look forward to browsing the threads here, but a quick 1st question. I am going to an assessment at an alcoholic rehab tomorrow. What kind of questions will they be asking me? And what is there usual criteria for recommending whether you are a candidate for inpatient or outpatient? The inpatient is kind of scaring me to death? Thanks all!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

They will be asking questions on your drinking/using history and the consequences thereof. Don't sweat the inpatient/outpatient options, go with their recommendations and they can improve your chances of being successful. Inpatient is a very common recommendation for many reasons including the detox process which can be very dangerous. In addition to the detox process many of us simply cannot stay away from our alcohol/drug by ourselves. I have known many people like this who have tried outpatient and not been successful at resisting early on.

Make sure you follow up with a program of recovery. A 30 day rehab is wonderful but you really need a program of recovery to maintain sobriety. Many people like myself used a 12 step program and found it to work.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Just be honest about everything. You have no one to impress so let them do their job and it will all work out. Don't stress about whether or not it is in or outpatient. Your life is at stake here and you can't cheat yourself out of what is best for you.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. My wife wants to be there with me tomorrow and I really appreciate that. Only thing though is that I would feel much more comfortable giving answers if she weren't. Not that I am going to lie cause I know that will do no good for me, but because I don't want to be rehashing all these things knowing her feelings about them and I don't want her to go through it yet again.

Also, I have heard and read that so many people have had to be hurt really bad (physically or emotionally) before they realized how bad their problem was. I don't believe anyone has been extremely hurt YET (but is hurting)....I know they eventually will be if I continue this destructive past. And I worry that because I haven't actually FELT that hurt, I may not take this as seriously as I should. The drinking has only became heavy within the past 1.5-2 years. And it is not every day, but usually 3-4 times a week but in buckets at a time. Do I fit the ideal of an inpatient? And how can I rehab before I feel that extreme hurt?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
I is absolutely not true that one has to be seriously hurt or hurt someone before they can realize that they have a problem and do something about their problem. I have seen people with almost no consequences realize they have a problem, take action and stop drinking for good. It is much easier to do something early on before things get totally out of control.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
I agree with Dime. Finding your 'bottom' does not mean that you literally have to crawl out of a sewer, sometimes is seems like it's an excuse to keep drinking.

That is exactly what scares me the most, as you said...... "it's an excuse to keep drinking" and you are spot on!
I know for sure that I have a problem, but why do I fell I must hit that bottom before I fully realize my problem. It's a very scary feeling to have. But yet I am smart enough to know that if I do hit that bottom, I will lose everything!!! Is this the sort of thing that rehab will help me overcome? And what can I do to help myself realize I do not have to hit the bottom? Thank you all and I will be continuing to read on here as there has been numerous inspiring stories!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ridgeback Lover

Its natural to have a lot of questions when you realize that you have a problem or are an alcoholic. It sounds like you have good support from your wife, I couldn't have done it without my wife. All those questions / anxiety you have are part of the hurt, part of the fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of losing your relationship with alcohol, fear of living sober. That nag that tells you that you haven't hit your bottom is your disease talking. It almost has its own voice, huh? Thats the voice you can't trust. And you have hurt someone and that is yourself. Make this your bottom. Read page 417 in the Big Book, find the 3rd step prayer (I don't know if you pray but it sure helps me), take a deep beath, check yourself in, take suggestions, and hang on. Take care of yourself.