Notices

Sober but scared

Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober but scared

So I've been off alcohol for 17 days now, my new record, but Im just so scared Im gonna slip again. I know it sounds strange but I have invested so much in this attempt (inc beating physical withdrawl). Its not that I crave alcohol but I just really fear slipping up because I just dont know how to deal with sober life, any advice would be really appreciated!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Drinking isn't something that happens to you.. it's up to you. Think of the things that have kept you as strong as you have been so far. You are in control of any future drinks you consume.. you are strong. It is not something hiding around the corner ready pour it down your throat..You will actively have to do it, and you've shown you can choose otherwise! What support do you have outside of yourself to see you through times when you think of choosing otherwise?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think we all go through a period of being afraid to relapse. It happens to a lot of us. It happened to me three times before I stopped doing my DOC. I am coming up on my 3 month mark, here in 13 days. I believe it's a healthy fear and keeps us motivated to stay clean/sober. My DOC is crack cocaine, and believe me, I've had cravings. They are difficult to fight, but I go to meetings or come here to SR. If you are new, Welcome to SR. This is a great place for recovery. It's gotten me through a few bad nights of cravings or being fearful. I was very fearful that I would relapse after my recent bird fair, because I always make a good stash of money. So far, it's almost all still here. I paid on some debts, bought some food, bought my boyfriend a gift. Things like that.
But SR has been a huge help. It's wonderful finding an online place where we can come together and share our fears, hopes, dreams, and addictions.
But, this time around, for me, being clean is much more important than getting high.
Just tell yourself you can always get loaded tomorrow. The beauty is tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hello cranford,my names charmian and im an alcoholic.i live in scotland now but im from york so not far from sheffield! i stopped drinking on 1st january and got myself straight to AA. had a drink on the 6th of feb for one night only and i did this because i needed to i think just to prove this is not what i want! and i can honestly tell you it was like drinking poison,my body just could not take it,and this is after a 20 year drinking habit! i go to AA and its saved my life,i live completely different to how i used to and my outlook on life is a lot rosier than it was.AA is not for everyone but if you really want to continue in sobriety i suggest you give it a go! the only requirment for membership is a desire to stop drinking.go with an open mind and you will have nothing to loose and maybe everything to gain! i am only in early stages of recovery (very early!) but things are so differnet already.AA is a programme for living! if you dont fancy the meetings they have a book called living sober which you will be able to find on a site called book depositary.this is full of ways to live sober.best wishes Charmian.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

and of course it goes without saying that you will get lots and lots of support on here! i spend lots of time here and have met some wonderful people! it is yet another tool for you to use.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the help guys, some song came on my computer, an old drinking song and it just really set me off, thinking of giving AA a go, strangely enough I have read alot of AA literature since my mother is an active alcoholic who went to AA for a while. I basically started drinking regularly at 16 since she brought me alcohol to drink with her and then I just began to drink really heavily over the last year or so because I couldnt face up to loads of feelings I was having and wanted to pretend I was some happy go lucky drinking guy.

Came damn close to drinking on sunday when I found out some girl I thaught I really liked doesnt like me at all but just wanted play me for weed, cigarettes and of course drink, when she found out none of that **** is around now she just left and I aint heard from her since!

Really, Im just beginning to come to terms with sober life, but I keep having these really vivid day dreams about drinking. I just force myself to remember the withdrawl and how I used to vomit blood, seems to work. I just really dont want to slip because I dont know if I have the strengh to try again
Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cranford,

I'm glad you posted.

I was pretty far down when I stopped drinking and very lost. So, I had to start from there and try to move forward. I had to learn how to live life, without numbing my emotions and it wasn't always easy. Just take it slow, and expect to learn as you go. Be patient with yourself and you'll get through this.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
eng.

Step by step things gonna change to better slowly . Just say before sleeping - thank you God for my sober day
Old 04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi and welcome to SR.
You have got the physical part behind you and it sounds like it was rough. You don't want that again.
You are in control and you can decide if you drink or not.
Have faith in your resolve and stay strong.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. 17 days is very good!

You can stay sober. You gotta want it...and you gotta want it bad.

p.s. Sounds like that girl wasn't a keeper, anyway. Glad you found out early.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on 17 days! That's really great.