Notices

Trading the bottle for a shrink??

Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trading the bottle for a shrink??

I hope I'm not posting too much, but this is another issue I'm struggling with. I tried talking with a counselor a few years ago about my drinking and found the guy to be a real pain, stuck on himself. He always seemed to brag about how he went to school, bacame a counselor and now he was helping others, blah, blah, blah. Talking about that all the time didn't help me stop drinking, so I stopped going to talk with him. I was so fed up with the experience that I swore off shrinks to this day. Now, when I think I might need one, I'm fighting it and wondering what's the use? Maybe I need a new shrink to replace the bottle that I drowned my feelings with for so long. Another one of those :wtf2 experiences. Geez, getting sober is tough work.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

If you can find a shrink in recovery that would be of maximum benefit, it helps when you are talking to someone who has been there and done that! Just to prepare you though, at a minimum whether a shrink is in recovery or not, unless they are just looking to drain your wallet they are going to reccommend some sort of long term recovery program or group.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Firestorm, in my experience, it is important to find someone you feel comfortably with, so it is important to shop around.
I am sorry you had a bad experience...
I have been fortunate to find some good people to work with over the years after a couple of bad starts...
I hope you find someone for you....
Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Firestorm, it is definitly importantant to find someone you are comfortable with. The first time I went into counseling in 1994 I think I went to 4 different ones before I found the one that worked for me. I also think it is important to have someone the same gender as yourself, at least it always was for me.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am truly blessed in that my shrink specializes in addiction, among other things. Shop around for a good shrink. They are out there, just takes some work to find them.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I see an addictions counselor.. however I don't know how helpful he would have been had I not already come to the decision to quit drinking, for good.. on my own. It's just some 'bonus' stuff for me, there's absolutely nothing he could have said or done to get me to that decision. Sometimes the stuff we talk about is pretty heavy.. and before when I was not as solid in my non-drinking committment, it sure would hav provided a bunch of excuses to pick up again, all that emotional trauma resurfacing and such.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A shrink who knows addiction/alcoholism will recommend a recovery program... many will recommend AA, which, IMO, is good thing. Actually, if they didn't, I would wonder why?????(doesn't have to be AA...) ... A shrink will be most helpful, IMO, to deal with issues that are not comfortably discussed at meetings or with a sponsor.

I have group therapy as part of a recovery program that is required as a condition of continuing my career... I like the doc, he has good credentials in addiction, very easy going and insightful... but I'm going because I have to, not because I want to, it's OK, but hey, I still have a career, and "it is what it is"..... OTH... I want to go to my AA home group meetings, some days wild horses couldn't keep me away!

I've considered some private counseling... but I think I am not quite restored to sanity yet in terms of my addiction/alcoholism... Maybe I won't need it then...

Mark
Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Cubile do not hesitate to go to a therapist, working out non-alcohol related issues can speed up and improve recovery.