Notices

The News from Lake-Woe-No-More

Old 04-19-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mle-sober

The News from Lake-Woe-No-More

Well, as many of you know I am bipolar. This past week, the depression demon that haunts my brain got a good foothold and wouldn't let go.

Mostly, I think it was due to the continued struggle with severe short term memory disability. We are investigating it and don't know what causes it. It's humiliating to live with. It's an invisible disability that suceeds in making me appear really stupid.

At any rate, I was hospitalized in the pysch unit for 5 days. Meds got changed and I feel a distinct improvement.

Here's the best news of all and the reason I am posting: I didn't drink!!! I was suicidal and was like a beaten puppy, (as someone else described me).

I was sooooooo happy to know that even in that state, I had the strength to not drink. I thought about it. But I knew without a shadow of a doubt that drinking would only cement my downward plunge. I "thought through" the drink and could see where it lead. And although I was feeling horrible, I wanted to make the right decisions for my children.

I was also very proud to be able to bring my labwork back home to show my husband who I knew would be very certain that I had used or drank. There was no denying the labwork.

I also felt proud to give the webaddress for this site to several people on the unit who were also alcoholics or addicts and who I respected immensely in their struggles against bipolar or schizaphrenia.

So - that's the news from Lake Woe-no-more! Thanks for being here and thanks for inspiring me in my time of need. Even when you didn't know it, you were offering me strength and solace.

Love, mle
Old 04-19-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mle,

It sounds like you've been through a lot, but that you're doing much better now.

I'm sorry that your husband doesn't trust you. That's difficult.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Strong work on not using/drinking!
Great to here that med change has showed improvement and hope.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

:ghug Glad to hear you didn't drink and are feeling better.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

:ghug3 I am glad you came thru this sober! What a victory for you!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand depression and suicidal tendencies - well done on getting through these difficulties without picking up. Stories such as yours inspire me. I hope you continue to improve.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am sorry you got that depressed. But I am so happy you didnt drink.
I am glad your home and doing better.
Stay close..you are always a great voice here.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

How cool is that! It just reaffirms that the changes you have made in your life are real. They are changes that are making the 'new' you strong and healthy.

So glad you posted this mle...you always have such inspiring things to say.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so glad you are feeling better! :ghug :ghug
Old 04-20-2009, 01:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I was late to this mle.

What struck me most about your post was not that you had problems and you triumphed over them - that goes without saying with what I know of you.

But I was saddened by the fact that you had to bring the labwork home to show your husband and set his mind at rest. I had to read it twice to make sure what I read was what I read.

I don't know any of the details of your marriage or your history - apart from what you've shared with us over a year or so - but I know the calibre of your character and...it's good

We all did damage when we were active in our addictions - but if we're genuine and sincere in our actions in recovery, there must surely come a time when amends are made in full.

I hope your husband comes to see you and know you as we all know you - and soon.

The simple fact that this did not at all spoil your victory speaks volumes for your character to me, mle

More power to you, my friend.

D
Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

DittoDittoDittoDitto to what everyone said Mle, especially Dee! Everytime I think you have filled up your inspiration quota, you do it again and come through as the shining star that you are. You seem SO grounded to me that I would have been surprised HAD you drank (I have more faith in you than you?...no surprise, we're alcoholics after all).

I am sorry that you had to go through this, and glad that you got your meds changed. We never know when life is going to throw us a curve ball and must be solidly planted in ourselves in order to cope. You lead by example, Mle, and that's the truth.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

MLE hold your head high, you weathered the storm, you stayed sober while standing at the gates of hell!!!

MLE I do not know your full story, but if it is similar to mine and something like that happened to me I would not be suprised at all if my wife even after me being sober for over 2 1/2 years would not suspect that I had slipped. I put her through years of lies, I would not be suprised if my sobriety is still not one day at a time in her mind.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are very strong mle, Im so glad you are doing better now. big hugs!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Oh thank you my friends. I feel cared for. Thank you. It is strange to say that my SR friends are my best friends. But you are. I feel seen.

I don't know what to say about my husband other than that I know he does the best he can. I truly do not like the level of distrust that he has. (The night I got home from the hospital, I was getting ready for a theraputic bath. I had brought music into the bathrooom and I was running the water when my husband slammed in and started doing a systematic search of all areas of the bathroom - under the cupboards, behind everything, etc - looking for alcohol, I guess. I felt so sad.

But then, I also understood. He has to live every day not knowing if I am going to relapse. I know that relapse is not an option for me. I don't have that question floating dangerously in front of me like he does. I lied to him and tricked him for 9 months about my drinking. His trust is probably permanently damaged by that.

Come to think of it, my trust is permantently damaged by his few acts of violence against me. Although he may feel like that will never happen again, I am very aware that it could. So, I guess that's how I understand it.

I think it must be very hard to live with someone who is mentally ill and who is an alcoholic. I am always surprised that he sticks around at all.

Thank you for recognizing my efforts and successes!!!! And again, you have no idea what a source of strength you were while I was in the hospital. I "heard" your voices (no not really "heard!! - just a little mental illness humor there!) and your encouragement and your supportive ideas of thoughts the whole time.

Thank you.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey MLE - Sorry to come in late, but I wanted to add how proud I am of you and glad to hear that the meds. change is helping. You did an amazing job seeing your troubles through sober, and that is a real achievement! You are always a voice of wisdom around here, thanks for sharing your victory with us! Jomey
Old 04-20-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good to hear your feeling better mle.....

dee said everthing perfectly for me..

Marriage problems are tough in recovery.......and repairing all that "stuff"..

Im lucky to have alison.......i know that......god gave her a level of forgiveness that i only wish i could mirror with others.

I truly hope you guys find the answers and work through it...

god be with you both..............trucker
Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

mle
glad you are better and as always ,I love to read your posts.I hope you keep coming back and posting because you and others here add so much to my life.Thank you for being here
Old 04-20-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll second Jomey
It's good to see you back, mle.

D
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow! I am sooooooo proud of you. I hope you feel that pride as well.
All the prays for continued sucess & recovery!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just came across this thread MLE. I am glad you are feeling better and that you weathered the storm.