New to this

Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool New to this

My name is Heather and I have been researching alcoholism for the past 3 months for my English class. I chose alcoholism because most of my family has alcohol problems. I wanted to be more in tune with the way that an alcoholic thinks and feels so I thought that by joining this site I would be able to do that. I also wanted to find more information from the family of the alcoholics so this way I could possibly help my own family out with their problems as alcoholics and possibly more people than just my family. For our research in my English class we had to do the problem research paper and then a solution research paper. My solution for the research paper was solution that already existed but I added on my own thoughts and ideas plus a few more things to do. I do feel like an alcoholic is unable to be helped unless he or she admits to the problem that they have. Once the problem is admitted to then they would go through therapy and continue going to certain counseling sessions. The person would have to find a replacement for drinking that way they could use that instead of alcohol. I just wanted to share this and see what others thought.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.

Interesting paper topic. You might try reading the "stickies" at the top of the forum. They include lots of information about living with and without an active A in your life or home, warning signs and ways to get help for yourself.

This forum is for people who are dealing with current or past relationships with active A's or sober A's. Some here are recovered alcoholics that offer lots a great advice from their perspective on both sides of the fence.

Keep reading and posting and you'll see many common trends.

Do you live with an alcoholic now? Please don't feel obligated to share. You mentioned that you had it in your family.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you ever considered going to an Alanon or Alateen meeting? (Not sure how old you are but I gather that you may be in your teens).

Alanon is meetings for the family and friends of alcoholics, Alateen focuses on teenagers. This would all be great research for your paper, and possibly your life.

Feel free to post about how alcohol has affected you, or if you have any questions fire away. And read the stickies as suggested.