Notices

I cant do it alone

Old 04-19-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cant do it alone

I drank last night Ive been trying to stop drinking by myself but i need to find an AA meeting near me. I looked up AA on line but i need some plug in thing to access the map of one nearest me and my computer wont open it. I live in the back of beyonds in Ireland but there must be one near me somewhere. I really think if I dont join AA to get support i wont stop drinking and i really want too.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

First of all, please don't beat yourself up over drinking. And you're right, you do need the help of others. I'm not sure what you're talking about with trying to open something up on your computer, but is there a phone number for AA listed that you can call? Here in the States, there is usually a phone number for AA that you can call, 24/7, to speak to someone about Meeting locations, or if you need to talk to another alcoholic when you are wanting to drink.

For so many years, I tried to get clean my way and create some kind of a Program that I thought would work. lol My way didn't work! It only got me deeper and deeper into my misery, guilt, shame, dispair . . . Please don't give up on your quest for Sobriety. I thought that I was a hopeless drunk and dope fiend. Then when I was ready to finally get honest, willing to go to any length and take the suggestions of others who had found Recovery, my whole world changed for the better.

Until you can find a Meeting, hang out here as long as you want. I know right now in the States it's Sunday morning so there isn't a whole lot of people on SR, but many more will come along. Good job on starting the thread and sharing what's going on. . . that's a huge step.

God Bless & Hang in There!
Judy
Old 04-19-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I couldn't stop drinking (by myself or with others) until I wanted to be sober MORE than I wanted to drink. And that was tough, cause I had to learn a new way of thinking and reacting. It's hard sometimes but it can be done.

Try this link http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/op...nt/default.asp
Old 04-19-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Serenity. I just cant seem to deal with the pain im going through with my boyfriend who i think wants to break up with me. He's the first guy ive let into my heart since the rape years ago and im just started counselling a few weeks ago at the rape guidance centre because i feel i need to come to terms with what happened to me. up to now if i thought about the rape i would drink. I never cried over it or talked about it and i buried it just so i could function in my life. I told my counsellor that its like all this pain is inside me and my body feels like it physically cant take it anymore and i need to let it out but im scared too.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this. Please remember that you are not alone . . . although I have never had to experience the horror of rape, there are many, many women who are either still active in their addiction or are in Recovery who have been raped. I hope you can find a women's meeting that you can go to, that would be an ideal place for you to open up and share your feelings about this when you feel comfortable enough and I can guarantee you there will be other women there who have went through that too.

I know the pain of having a relationship end. . . I have been through two divorces not to mention the other relationships I've had over the years that have ended. As much as we sometimes want that special person to always be in our lives, we cannot make someone love us.

I highly encourage you to get to some Meetings ASAP. Having the support of all of us here at SR is a great support system, but you also need face to face support and there is no better place to find it than in AA.

My Prayers are with you,
Judy
Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Keenan)))

I am sorry you are struggling...

Keep posting, find a meeting, and believe in yourself that you can do this...
Old 04-19-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Keenan,

There is lots of support here at SR, too.

I'm glad you are looking for help.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I hope you find a meeting near you.
AA and the people there got me out of the "I" and into the "we"

togethwer we can stay sober one day at a time..
by myself,I could not
Old 04-19-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kenaan, I just went my first meeting tonight after trying to do it alone, it was an absolur godsend to me, keep trying there must be somewhere nearby.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes ive found a meeting and am going to go there. nervous but excited that i feel im on my first REAL step to improving my life. does anybody think that sometimes things like this happen (what im going through with b/f is because it had to happen for me to look at my life and my drinking.) if he had come to meet me when he was supposed too, i would have been drinking with him and never come to this decision that i want to stop. I did drink last night but believe me i felt so bad about it today that i really HOPE i wont do it again. i was a week sober till then I am meeting with AA person tonight at 7.30pm and I am going to be so honest for the first time ever about my drinking and I am sure that she wont judge me. I always said i wasnt an alcoholic because i didnt drink every day or do stupid things like row with somebody or fall over, i actually dont really get that drunk and never mix drinks etc. BUT if something happens and im upset i drink and i drink to be able to forget but now i want to sit with being upset and that scares me to death but maybe AA will help as i wont feel im doing it alone without any help. I dont know what to expect or how it works but im going to give it a go.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kennan, I DEFINITELY think that everything that happens in our lives, is for a reason. There are no coincidences and things happen as they should. The universe gives us what we need to move forward with our lives.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i think so too anna and ive felt for ages that something/somebody was pulling at me to stop drinking. for e.g. the house i moved too was owned by a young woman who died from cirrhosis of the liver and when i heard that i was like "Ok God, got the message" then i kept finding her empty bottles of vodka stashed everywhere. also i got to know her family and see how devastated they are at losing her. Also everywhere i look i seem to see ads/articles about drink. What freaked me out was being told by doc at Christmas that my liver enzymes were a little raised. So i cut down my drinking a lot, but i cannot have one or two drinks. i need to finish the bottle so i dont buy drink now. I bailed last night though when i called to friend and she put glass of wine in front of me and i took it and then finished the bottle. so i really cant be round drink or i will take it. Though i went out to my theatre groups party friday night and drank non-alco beer and it was hard because everyone was drunk and i felt really anti-social. im naturally a shy person but when im drunk im the life and soul so it was hard for me but i did it. but last night i failed
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're meeting with someone tonight from AA! This is great. I admire your strength Keenan.

Yes I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Good and bad. We don't always see it in the beginning but as time passes it's often right in front of us. It seems that one event happened and the rest followed Keenan in getting you to realize you needed to make changes in your life.

Give yourself a big pat on the back for taking this very first step in getting help tonight Keenan. You deserve it.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Good Luck with meeting someone from AA tonight. That is a great step in the right direction. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((((((keenan))))))
Old 04-19-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

but last night i failed
Please don't think of yourself as a failure because you drank last night. If you didn't drink last night, do you think you would have made the decision you did today . . . to meet with someone from AA and go to a Meeting? Everything happens for a reason. For most of us, it took feeling pretty low to get us to move into the right direction.

Let us know how it went!

Judy
Old 04-19-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool

Hey keenen ----

Sorry I'm so late with this, but......first off, you were saying you were having trouble finding an AA meeting close to you.....but I see that you have found one.....gRRRRRRR8..... goodonya....! (o:

Just in case you still want to find more, and/or different, meetings, here are some numbers (hopefully, at least some of them are still good) for AA InterGroups.....hopefully a 'still effective' one is close-by you.....these folks should be able to help you find 'all stuff' AA for you..... (o:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AA InterGroup -- Belfast -- 44-2890-681084
AA InterGroup -- Cork -- 352-021-500481
AA InterGroup -- Dublin -- 353-1-4538998
AA InterGroup -- Limerick -- 353-61-311222
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope these help.....if at all possible, check out lots and lots of meetimngs; although they're all the same (deep down, anyway); they're usually found to be different as night 'n day, sometimes.....sooooooooo, have fun trudgin' this happy road of destiny..........! (o:

NoelleR