Notices

Hello members

Old 04-18-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello members

I am a non practising alcoholic who is trying to understand why my husband of 25 years switched addictions and basically is still using.How I can protect my children and I from believing in him again. I still love him but can not continue to live with so much animosity. Has been four months since I threw him out and in the last week we have started to speak to each other like people.On my part though I am not sure if I trust him,he says he is going to quit,but have heard that story too many times.We have met today and are trying to be friends..not sure if that will work but I hope he does quit if for no other reason then himself.I still have four daughters living at home with me the youngest two being 16 and 14.They say they hate him and never want to see him again.I think they have a point but am worried about them too. Drugs/alchol are such a destroyer of happiness and life that I can not believe how long it too me to realize this truth. I quit for 5 years once then picked it up again for almost a year,then quit for 1.5 years then picked it up for two months and now it has been almost 13 years of sanity.This is where my husband's addiction to marijuana floors me,after all those years of suffering to just switch addictions. I pray he does quit but the trust isn't really there. That's where I am today.He wants me to go to this group for four days about co-dependency but am not sure.I am glad I found this site and I hope within time I can help someone too
Old 04-18-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and understanding. I have no experience to offer since I was the alcoholic in my family and have no spouse or partner. YOu may want to copy and paste this thread over in our Friends and Family forum. THere's one for F and F of alcoholics and one for F and F of substance abusers.

Oh, never mind. I see that you know about the F and F forums!

Again, welcome to the family!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hi...
I just wanted to welcome you

sorry i dont have a family so have no words for you to help...

There is a family and friends forum though too

Hello again

be well
louis
Old 04-18-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Katie, Welcome!
Did you see the Friends and Family section of the forum. It a great place for family and friends of alcoholics and substance abusers. You may wish to post in that section.
Glad you are here.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Katie,

Welcome!

From your experience, you know how difficult it is to overcome an addiction and you know that your husband will have to decide himself, if and when he wants to live a sober life. I think it's sad that your daughters hate him and hope that they will find peace with their father, at some point.

If you feel that going to the co-dependency group would be helpful for you, then you should go, but, if you're not sure, then you should follow your heart.

Take a look around the forums. We have two forums for Friends & Families.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. You are right not to trust him while he is a practising user.