Notices

Voice in head

Old 04-18-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Voice in head

Hi all,

Does that voice in your head ever shut up? I can't stop thinking about booze! It is not that I am really craving it but I keep putting together scenarios about alcohol. Like how am I going to get through a class reunion dinner or a Hawaiian cruise that I am lucky to go on this summer without a mai tai or other exotic drink? It just goes on and on. It is the first thought I wake up with and the last one before I go to bed. I am hoping this will diminish with time. I am only 6 days sober.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Yes..... it will diminish with time. Give "time" - TIME! Life awaits you in all things wonderful!
Old 04-18-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it will ease up, but it takes time.

Each day you get through and stay sober will weaken the voice in your head.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really hope so because that stupid addictive voice has been driving me crazy all weekend long. Every morning is so rewarding when I wake up with a clear head and ready to tackle the day.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by acer67 View Post

It is the first thought I wake up with
Yes, I know exactly what you mean... I am here to tell you that I am going through that also, but I am having mornings now where it is NOT the first thing I am thinking of... It is still somewhat of a surprise, a happy one!

It gets better, just keep doing this one day at a time, it will get better.

Mark
Old 04-18-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hiya...

I am 7wks sober... and today was the first time i noticed that my first thought wasn't alcohol...
It was "oh sh*te" this morning as i was late for work...
Today though i have thought about alcohol less and less... and the peace it has given me has been great...

I wish that feeling for you soon... and it will come... as has been said... give it time and dont give in...

Be well
louis
Old 04-18-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have 60-some days and still have cravings and the desire to drink sometimes. What works for me is to 'play the tape to the end'. Remind myself of how awful I felt, physically and emotionally, the last time I drank. That's usually enough to make the voice go away. But even when it's not going away I remind myself that I'm no longer drinking and want to stay sober way more than I'd ever want to drink.

Keep staying sober, one day at a time, and this too shall pass.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never dreamed about alcohol until I got sober. I thought that was weird. I have 60 days and still have cravings, they are usually the worst when I get bored or feel like I have gotten a lot done and deserve a drink. But then I think about how I will feel in the morning and how much I would regret it if I drank (and also what might happen if I do). I feel so good every morning and I don't want to go back to that crappy feeling again and also the not remembering what I did the previous day. I have to stay focused on that trade-off and it is really hard but has worked so far when the craving is really strong.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi acer,

I remember that voice.

It stayed with me until I realised that just staying sober wasn't really what I wanted. I wanted to be completely free of the desire to drink as well. What I got was even better.

I found someone who taught me how to do the program of AA from the book and not just by going to meetings (which didn't work at all for me). Using that method, we are promised that we will recover. The drink problem left me.

Others may know of other methods that work but that is what I did.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The voice in my head is saying "Go on.. take a beer..one beer never hurt anyone.. you will feel nice and warm and relaxed.. the world will look much better..What can happen ? You are in control this time..remember the nice buzz ? Everyone is enjoying a nice cold beer.. you can too..we will be carefull this time..maybe you will even have a laugh for a change.. go on.. do it...no one needs to know..you deserve it after all the hassle.."

l find it more difficult everyday.
Wish you luck..

"Call on God, but row away from the rocks. "
Indian Proverb
Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

mate i get bad days and i am just over 2 months it just takes time my friend just try not to push yourself to hard and keep your mind busy through the day so you are tired at noght ready for sleep ok
Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The constant cravings will lessen with time; I have over a year now and still occasionally have cravings.

In your post you seem to be worrying about future events and how you will handle them without alcohol. Try and focus on today, thinking ahead is not healthy for your recovery.

You're doing great! It will get easier.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
6/20/08

It gets sooooooooo much better! Early sobriety is tough but so worth it.

Welcome to SR.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

what you are doing is experiencing the mental obsession about booze
I had it too,and i said a simple prayer each morning asking for help staying sober and saying thank you at night
a few months later i woke up one morning and it wasn`t there,and i could not remember thr last time i had it
life seem to take on a new meaning that day,and i believe it will work for you too if you try it
Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi again Acer,

The mental obsession part of this disease is the real killer.

We have an allergy that leads to a physical craving so that when we start to drink, we can't control the amount we might drink in a session. That's fine - once we know about it we make a decision to stop. That is the sane thing to do. Kind of like if you found out you had an allergy to peanut butter. You would stay away from peanut butter right? Or if you have an allergy to bee stings, you wouldn't put your hand into a bees nest.

But the mental obsession is why we can't stay away from alcohol. We stop but we can't stay stopped. We can't remember sometimes. We are without defence against the first drink. We only remember the ease and comfort that comes with taking the first few drinks - the suffering and humiliation of only a week or a month ago is blotted out.

That part is the part that eventually kills.

Living with the craving is horror. There is a solution to that.

Alcohol was my solution to my living problems. Without it, I had trouble dealing with my feelings and emotions. It made everything ok. When I stopped and when I needed to stay stopped because it was killing me, I needed some other solution. Without alcohol I was restless, irritable and discontent.

The program (not meetings) of AA is what I used to change. It worked for them and it worked for me. Maybe it could work for you too? All you need is the instructions which are in the Big Book. The action we take to recover is precise and specific (meaning we don't change a thing). It doesn't take long either.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Acer I would have typed exactly what Pilgrim did, because once I took the steps the obsession was lifted, today on a rare occassion I will have a fleeting thought of a drink, not getting drunk, just a simple thought that leaves me just as quickly as it comes, you see as the promises say "For by this time sanity will have returned".

Hi acer,

I remember that voice.

It stayed with me until I realised that just staying sober wasn't really what I wanted. I wanted to be completely free of the desire to drink as well. What I got was even better.

I found someone who taught me how to do the program of AA from the book and not just by going to meetings (which didn't work at all for me). Using that method, we are promised that we will recover. The drink problem left me.

Others may know of other methods that work but that is what I did.
Wow I think Pilgrim and I are on the same wave length!!!

Hi again Acer,

The mental obsession part of this disease is the real killer.

We have an allergy that leads to a physical craving so that when we start to drink, we can't control the amount we might drink in a session. That's fine - once we know about it we make a decision to stop. That is the sane thing to do. Kind of like if you found out you had an allergy to peanut butter. You would stay away from peanut butter right? Or if you have an allergy to bee stings, you wouldn't put your hand into a bees nest.

But the mental obsession is why we can't stay away from alcohol. We stop but we can't stay stopped. We can't remember sometimes. We are without defence against the first drink. We only remember the ease and comfort that comes with taking the first few drinks - the suffering and humiliation of only a week or a month ago is blotted out.

That part is the part that eventually kills.

Living with the craving is horror. There is a solution to that.

Alcohol was my solution to my living problems. Without it, I had trouble dealing with my feelings and emotions. It made everything ok. When I stopped and when I needed to stay stopped because it was killing me, I needed some other solution. Without alcohol I was restless, irritable and discontent.

The program (not meetings) of AA is what I used to change. It worked for them and it worked for me. Maybe it could work for you too? All you need is the instructions which are in the Big Book. The action we take to recover is precise and specific (meaning we don't change a thing). It doesn't take long either.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

instead of fighting that voice...i've been practicing being friends with it. itk seems that that inner voice never stops
Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My HP kicks the voices BUTT!!!! LOL
Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I've come to accept that stupid voice in my head.

I use music to break the thought train - I can only think about one thing at a time (thank God).

Also, as TooMutch said, don't 'project' into the future, let events occur as they will.

Just for right now, just for today.