Notices

CNN article - Anti Craving Meds

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

CNN article - Anti Craving Meds

Check it out. This was posted today on the site. With anti-addiction pill, 'no urge, no craving' - CNN.com
Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's generic Revia. I used it during early recovery but I don't know how much it helped because basically, I was very determined not to drink, so I didn't.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

interesting. Might have to give that a try...
Old 04-15-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found it interesting that those rehab hospitals downplay the benefits because of course if something like this really did work well then the rehab hospitals wouldn't have so much business.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
Ask your doctor about Revia.
There are also several other drugs used to lessen cravings.

I managed my cravings without drugs or re hab.

Yes..I was uncomfortable when they happened ...
but they quickly lessened in severity and frequency
By the end of my 2nd month ....they vanished
Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whenever I see articles like that, I always think of the 'easier, softer way'.

I am truly grateful that I did the footwork required in a 12 step program and the cravings went away.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I too got sober without assistive drugs, and I'm happy that worked for me. I'm sure there's people out there that might need them, but I'm glad not to have. I don't want to be dependent on ANYthing to break another dependency.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
It's generic Revia. I used it during early recovery but I don't know how much it helped because basically, I was very determined not to drink, so I didn't.
I used Revia{Naltexone} as well,four weeks.Don't know if it worked but I am
also absolute about drinking. It's a no go,forever...................
No more Revia as well.
"Everthing you've decided about yourself is in play at this time."
Old 04-16-2009, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

They gave me revia when I got out of detox, it did nothing for me, it did nothing at all with my cravings, The program of AA & the fellowship are what led to the obsession being lifted from me.

I have some friends in AA who said it made a huge difference for them so I am not going to knock Revia or any of the other anti-craving meds, they do work well for some folks and not at all for others.

One interesting point I would like folks to be aware of is that if you read the direction label on any of the anti-craving meds, they all say that they are meant to be taken in conjunction with therapy and a long term recovery program.

I am all for any med that can help an addict or alcoholic get over the initial hump with cravings as long as they cause no harm........ like methadone! Long story but there is a gal in the rooms that was a herion addict for years and did the cold turkey several times of of herion, then they put her on methadone and as she said "The hell began!" It took her well over a year to come off of methadone, and she was "sick" most of the time.

I have always been a firm believer in looking at the source of any data, the folks pushing these meds as a magic cure all were all part of the pharmacutical industry.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Articles on CNN and other news sites are 'desperate' for material to publish.

Medications work for some, and help some, but as of today's date none have 'cured' addition. There will always be 'new' proclamations of miracle wonder meds... be on the lookout for them. Ask your doctor if they might work for you.

-- Remember Y2K and the world destruction that didn't occur?

-- Remember the April 1, 2009 virus that was going to wipe out the world.. and didn't?

-- Remember the last med they said was going to 'cure' addiction but didn't?

CNN and other news sites a great, but they will publish anything to grab your attention - that's their specific intent.

Stay on the same path you are on towards recovery, keep doing what you are doing to stay clean & sober. Stay abreast of the latest meds... but don't count on anything until you see it working.

Stay clean & sober just for today!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

If alcoholism or addictions were curable or treatable with meds only it would be head line news every where!

Read the labels on all of them, they all flat out say they are meant to be taken with therapy and a long term recovery program.

It breaks my heart every time I here of some one relapsing because they thought "Well I will just take this magical pill and it will all be good!"......... Sounds like have a drink or take a drug and all will be well.......... for a while then the gates of hell open up!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mergirl

I teared up a little! If only all my woes could be fixed with a magic pill hahah
Old 04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

I've heard of these and was thinking of trying them. Afterall take away the cravings and most of the problem is taken care of. But I'm always weary of these supposed magic pills. Just watching TV commercials and hearing them rattle off all these side effects it's like well damn, think I'll just try to drop the 5 pounds the old fashion way!

But I wonder if you can take these as needed? My first 90 days I had little in the way of cravings and the cravings I did have I was usually able to knock em out fast. It wasn't until April rolled in that I started obsessing about drinking again.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Physical cravings go away after 3-4 days anyways.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I just started taking this today and it is making me sick as a dog. I have puked twice and feel very "cracked out" for those of you who understand that term. Don't really know if I want to continue to use it. It is like my body knows that this could work so it is making it hell for me right now and wants me to quit.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have a normie online friend who used Low Dose Naltrexone to help her manage her autoimmune disorder. She ended up pregnant (after struggling to get that way for years..) I guess Low Dose Naltrexone is also used in some European countries to help women conceive. Who knew?

I don't have an opinion one way or another as far as whether people should or shouldn't use drugs to curb cravings. I used Suboxone early in my recovery from opiod abuse. I don't know that it helped me.