Notices

Alcohol References in Music

Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol References in Music

Just a little rant... maybe others feel the same way. I love music, I mean love it, listen to it constantly... mostly folk, alt. country, blues, american songbook (Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer, etc... as covered by, say, Dianna Krall), bluegrass...

So many people write and sing about alcohol... darn, music is an escape, and lots of times I want to escape and not think about alcohol...

Alt. country is the worst... rockabilly - stuff I loved, played myself on guitar. Oh well, guess I'll learn to not "hear" it any more...

Mark
Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe the bulk of this countries social problems can be blamed on the abuse of our rights granted by the First Amendment. Alcohol references in music are just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like Amy Winehouse (ironic name to go with it) but I just can't listen to some of her songs with the lyric contents.

Her lifestyle hasn't done her any favours though. Some shocking before and after pics here - Fielder-Civil: I Ruined Amy Winehouse - these were just about enough to make me decide to clean up my own act.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
I believe the bulk of this countries social problems can be blamed on the abuse of our rights granted by the First Amendment. Alcohol references in music are just the tip of the iceberg.
Are you suggesting people are abusing the First Amendment by singing about alcohol?

I definitely hit times when I have to turn the radio to the classical station for peace of mind because I feel bombarded by drug/alcohol references, but the reality is people drink and do drugs and it's part of their experience. Of course it's going to effect the music they make. I just can't listen to it so I exercise my freedom to choose a different radio station Mark, you play guitar- ever tried writing songs? You could be a contributor of some sober life experience... that'd be nice.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post

I definitely hit times when I have to turn the radio to the classical station for peace of mind

Mark, you play guitar- ever tried writing songs? You could be a contributor of some sober life experience... that'd be nice.
So I am not alone!!... I listen to Pandora on my laptop alot... I have created some Jazz "stations" that I like... and no lyrics!. I tun that on when I've had enough.

I may end up writing some songs... I used to write songs in college, but that was many years ago. I am inspired by musical artists who are in recovery... it is quite interesting to hear their music before and after recovery. Steve Earl, Ryan Adams (used to be in Whiskeytown ) and some others whom I suspect may be recover(ed) (ing)...

Anyway, I go crazy sometimes, I am always one that can pick out and follow the lyrics...

Thanx - Mark
Old 04-14-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I listen to county and rap, and both, for the most part, glorify the use of alcohol. I also listen to alternative and a bit of metal, which I think tend to take a more objective stance on substance abuse.

Are you suggesting people are abusing the First Amendment by singing about alcohol?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

DK - I agree totally, country music is supposed to be so mainstream yet the overt, and implied, references to alcohol are almost a requirement for a hit song... while metal and alternative, when drugs and alcohol are mentioned, they are not always, in fact frequently not, glorified.

I don't really care what people write and sing about... I am looking forward to when I am comfortable enough in my sobriety that alcohol references are not so "dis-resonate" with me (I know, that's not a word, but somehow it seems to work ).
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This was a "hit" song in Australia many years ago......
Chorus: "sure is lonesome,morbid and dreer,to stand at the bar of a "Pub with no Beer."
Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel the same way, movies too.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sometimes I can sing along to *those* songs (loudly in fact) and not really think about the lyrics. Other times I'm like GEEZ! Can we shut up about alcohol for TWO-FREAKIN-SECONDS?!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post

GEEZ! Can we shut up about alcohol for TWO-FREAKIN-SECONDS?!
Yea, exactly!!!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I'll go against the grain (as it were LOL) if it ever bothered me, it doesn't now.

People have always written and sung about all kinds of 'street' things - some drinkin' songs I like and I listen to, some I don't and switch off.

None of them have put a drink in my hand...yet

D
Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a few recovery artists on my friends lists on Facebook. I live in BFE so changing the radio station can be interesting. I know where the off button is though.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dee - I just want to get where you are... People drink, people sing about drinking... ok...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Alcohol is legal, alot of people drink it.

Alcohol will always be 'present' in some ways, signs, bars, ads, songs, etc.

I have made a choice to change my own behavior and NOT drink alcohol.

When I hear a song that has 'alcohol content' I concentrate on the words to the song and use the words as a re-affirmation of my choice to NOT use alcohol.

There is no music that can make a person drink, or even lead a person to drink, unless that person WANTS to drink.

I'd like to suggest that YOU make a conscious effort at changing our own thinking when you hear alcohol content songs.

Listen to the words of the songs, and apply these words to all of the reasons why you choose to NOT drink.

You not missing anything by not drinking. Nothing except misery that is.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post

When I hear a song that has 'alcohol content' I concentrate on the words to the song and use the words as a re-affirmation of my choice to NOT use alcohol.

I'd like to suggest that YOU make a conscious effort at changing our own thinking when you hear alcohol content songs.

Listen to the words of the songs, and apply these words to all of the reasons why you choose to NOT drink.
Hey TommyK - Nice to hear from a fellow Pennsyltuckyan and guitar player! I have been following your advice, as much as possible...

I don't mean to ... :horse I appreciate the opportunity to share this rather unexpectedly prominent issue in my early recovery. Often applying the reason I choose not to drink to these songs does indeed work... I just needed some reminding...

Thanx
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know in the beginning days of my recovery I noticed it as well. I was like okay, well I'll read instead of listening to music. "She relaxes by pouring herself a glass of wine. . ." Put the book down and turned on the tv and guess what! They are drinking wine!! I felt it was a sick joke. It did eventually become the background that it should be. Once we change our focus from what is missing in our life to finding what we already have and are grateful for it won't change. What you think about you bring about.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yea - Horselover... Last nite I was feeling that loss thing, and I started reading a book on fly fishing for smallmouth bass... you'd think that'd be safe!! "I sat on the bank on the cooler of beer..." OK, I'll read Krakauer's book about mountain climbing and in the preface he starts comparing his compulsion to climb to the "alcoholic who drinks whiskey all week long"... OK I'll watch the news, and my wife comes in with her white wine spritzer... ARGHHHHH !!!!!

Ya know... just talking about it has helped - THANX!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You have to admit when the forces tend to congregate and we have this result it is a "little" funny. Maybe I can admit that NOW. I might have had a problem earlier. Talking definitely helps me too.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I'm an old school metal fan and it's impossible to listen to anything without coming across some alcohol reference. My favorite GnR song is NightTrain of all tunes.

Metal never made me drink, metal never made me worship the devil, metal never made me disparage women, etc. It's just music. If you don't like it, turn it off. That's the beauty of the 1st Amendment. I can say whatever I want, you don't have to listen.