Four weeks post op and so far so good..

Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four weeks post op and so far so good..

Hi

I went for a four week post op check up today (this is the one I have been really looking forward to because it is a milestone moment and I get to take my splint off and start doing some controlled movement exercises.. if I've been a good girl).

Well.. I've been a good girl and although I still have to wear the splint in public areas and at night and I can't actually use it per se.. I can have fresh air on my hand.. and I can wash it.. with water and everything! It's the little things

Now the real work begins.. 2hrs of exercises and 30 minutes of scar massage every day.. but I am so happy I can't tell you.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whey, you get to scratch
Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rainbowsend View Post
Whey, you get to scratch
I forgot to add that to my list of simple pleasures..

No more itching...
Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's wonderful progress!

One little Miss America wave at a time.

Congrats
Old 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Tallulah)))))
As soon as you are near somewhere where they sell kids toys, look for some kids balls about the size of a tennis ball with different thicknesses. Try squeezing them with your good hand.

Get about 3. One that is real easy to squeeze, then one a little harder, and the third harder than the second.

Then when you are sitting or doing stuff, with the splint off, to 'air the hand' start with the soft squeeze ball, and just squeeze it. When that gets real easy to do, move to the little harder one. Not a lot, maybe for 5 minutes at a time several times a day, in addition to your PT. You will be amazed how much it helps to get the use back. If it seems hard at first, do it in the sink filled with warm water, or a dish pan filled with warm water.

It is a 'gentle' exercise that will help you recover sooner and get the use back of the hand and thumb.

I am so glad that you are healing so well!!!!!!

Thank you so much for the update.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-14-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job. You would eventually reach that road to recovery by doing the exercises. Motivate yourself everyday because you'll see the progress from time to time. Keep it up.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Cool

Hey tallulah, that's great news! Keep up the good work!! (((hugs)))
Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know how good that feels! I had the ulnar nerve moved out of the boney ridge in the elbow (both arms) several years ago, had to wear a half cast for several days and was wrapped like a mummy from armpit to wrist!

Laurie's suggestion with the balls is excellent. They had me using a big ball of therapeutic putty to work with in getting the function back into my hands/fingers.

Here's to continued healing! :ghug :ghug
Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

tallulah! Yeah!!! I'm very happy for you! Good luck with those exercises.....

Old 04-14-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.. :ghug

That’s great advice laurie… thank you. I’ve been told the next couple of weeks I need to work on getting my movement back and gentle squeezing… so the balls are a good idea.

The feeling of air on my skin Freedom.. it was weird. And when the splint came off and I had to move my hand when the therapist showed me the exercises.. it felt like it was somebody else’s thumb they’d grafted on to me. Kind of looks like that from the scar too.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Are you sure it is your thumb?!

Speaking of scars, I lost a toe to a brown recluse bite a few years ago. I also had stomach surgery a little over 3 years ago and had staples from belly button to breast bone. My recent hernia surgery was along that same scar line with 6" worth of staples.

So depending on what my mood is for the day, I'm either DeVon Frankenfoot, or DeVon Frankenbelly!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Are you sure it is your thumb?!

Speaking of scars, I lost a toe to a brown recluse bite a few years ago. I also had stomach surgery a little over 3 years ago and had staples from belly button to breast bone. My recent hernia surgery was along that same scar line with 6" worth of staples.

So depending on what my mood is for the day, I'm either DeVon Frankenfoot, or DeVon Frankenbelly!
now you come to mention it..
Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ah I am so please for you. It definately is a milestone moment for you, how lovely must it feel to have fresh air on your hand. I'm very proud of you and all of your thoughts have been invaluable over the last four weeks so thank you! x
Old 04-15-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on your healing going so well! Follow the doc's orders and you will continue to improve.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bearfeet View Post
Ah I am so please for you. It definately is a milestone moment for you, how lovely must it feel to have fresh air on your hand. I'm very proud of you and all of your thoughts have been invaluable over the last four weeks so thank you! x
awwww... thank YOU.. :ghug
Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
Congrats on your healing going so well! Follow the doc's orders and you will continue to improve.
thank you :ghug