Notices

Spiritul principles

Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spiritul principles

im in a substance abuse group and we've been talking about different things.we started to talk about the indispensable principles of the program and i got lost. i know that there are 3 of them but not sure what they are...with that can someone explain to me why they are.i get kind of embarrassed asking questions but i know that it will help by doing so.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kristi,

Welcome!

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but for me, I try to keep a balance in my life with physical, emotional and spiritual work, every day.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are a lot more than 3 spiritual principals, you may be talking about Honesty Openmindness and willingness the "how"of the program. These are nice catch phrases that get tossed around in discussion meetings. I learned about spiritual principles and recovered from alcoholism by working the 12 steps of AA. Today I am aware, every thought I have, every action I take has a belief system behind. The more selfless I am the more spiritually fit I become. So far, it's proven to be a nice way for me to exist in this world.

Hardest words for an alkie or drug addict to say are I don't know. The principle of humility is underneath this, in this post you demonstrate this. Seek and you will find.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

are you asking about the 12 steps first three? see if these ring a bell...

1. we admitted we were powerless over alcohol that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of god as we understood him.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome and keep coming back!!

If you have a drug problem, maybe you should go to a few NA meetings and find out what you can do about it.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

purity,honesty,unselfishness,and love
Old 04-14-2009, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR kristi, as bballdad mentioned, purity,honesty,unselfishness,and love are the 4 absolutes I have learned in spirituality. I have found all of these in the 12 steps of AA. These 4 absolutes I will never perfect, I progress towards them the best I can, one day at a time, as long as I stay sober and continue to strive to be as honest, unselfish, pure, & loving as possible I am okay.

Progress, not perfection.

BTW I noticed you live in Herndon, I used to live there, lots of good AA & NA there, I know one group called "Stepping Stones" that is really awesome.

Do not become frustrated, beginning to understand spirituality does not happen over night, no one has a full understanding of it. Be kind to yourself, just stay clean and sober, keep an open mind, be honest, & be willing, it will come in time if you work at it.