Notices

The big 2-9

Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The big 2-9

Wow, today is day 29 for me alcohol-free. I have not done this since about 1997, and every day I feel better and better about this.

This past weekend was the 1st time since I quit drinking that I exposed myself to major temptation. I went to a cabin with my wife and a bunch of our friends (one I had to give a ride there because he totalled his truck last week (drunk). Every adult there was drinking, beer, shots, etc. I resisted, and really it was not that hard. A few times I told myself I could just go ahead and drink on "vacations" like this, but then I thought about how much sober time I have, how bad I would feel the next day, how I would end up in a bad mood or just in bed all day from the hangover, etc.

So, I ended up just hanging out. My kids and other kids were there, so we played lots of vid. games. Went to an indoor waterpark Saturday during the day, and Sat. night one of the other dads there took our sons to an arcade and go-kart track. Sunday AM on the way home I took my son to a Rainforest zoo type place (mostly snakes and other reptiles on display) - he loved it.

What I did not do this weekend - spend lots of $$$ on booze, make anyone mad, do anything to be embarassed about, neglect my kids while hung over, drive drunk, damage my liver, etc.

I will be checking back in here on SR tomorrow for my 30-day milestone.

Thanks so much to everyone here for all the encouragement. All the responses I get directly are great, and just being able to sit here and read everyone else's trials, tribulations, and successes have helped me so much.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats great! Good For you!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's wonderful!

So glad you're doing well.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im happy for you, its always an amazing feeling when you get through the weekend sober. Well done on your 29 Days, keep it up
Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Saddler - That's awesome, man... You have got wife and family, you enjoy yourself with your kids... they probably enjoy it as much or more than you do.

You also played out the tape... If I drink I will get drunk then bad things happen.

Besides SR, are there other recovery activities you are involved with?

Congrats... I look forward to hearing from you on 30 days!!

Mark
Old 04-13-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

It feels so good to set a new record Keep on truckin!!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Saddler - That's awesome, man... You have got wife and family, you enjoy yourself with your kids... they probably enjoy it as much or more than you do.

You also played out the tape... If I drink I will get drunk then bad things happen.

Besides SR, are there other recovery activities you are involved with?

Congrats... I look forward to hearing from you on 30 days!!

Mark

Nothing else formally - I read "Under the Influence" and am reading some of the AA Big Book, but no meetings, rehab, etc. I have thought about some AA meetings, but I am still a little undecided as to whether or not I need that. Do you have any recommendations?
Old 04-13-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 29 days!

The really good thing about AA is that the support is unmatched. Lots of meetings everywhere and sober people you can get to know. I need a lot of non-drinking reinforcement and this is a great way to get it.

Working the steps fortifies sobriety significantly. It was well worth the effort, I learned a lot in the process and have been sober since (17 months).

AA and the steps looked like craziness at first but the dang thing worked!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try a AA meeting or three... you might like it... I went to lot's of different AA groups around and found one or two I like and really look forward to...

I guess I just asked because I'm really happy for you and I want this good feeling you have to last, AND, if things get difficult, I want you have the support/wisdom/path to get back to where you are now!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Live it

Originally Posted by Saddler View Post
Wow, today is day 29 for me alcohol-free. I have not done this since about 1997, and every day I feel better and better about this.

This past weekend was the 1st time since I quit drinking that I exposed myself to major temptation. I went to a cabin with my wife and a bunch of our friends (one I had to give a ride there because he totalled his truck last week (drunk). Every adult there was drinking, beer, shots, etc. I resisted, and really it was not that hard. A few times I told myself I could just go ahead and drink on "vacations" like this, but then I thought about how much sober time I have, how bad I would feel the next day, how I would end up in a bad mood or just in bed all day from the hangover, etc.

So, I ended up just hanging out. My kids and other kids were there, so we played lots of vid. games. Went to an indoor waterpark Saturday during the day, and Sat. night one of the other dads there took our sons to an arcade and go-kart track. Sunday AM on the way home I took my son to a Rainforest zoo type place (mostly snakes and other reptiles on display) - he loved it.

What I did not do this weekend - spend lots of $$$ on booze, make anyone mad, do anything to be embarassed about, neglect my kids while hung over, drive drunk, damage my liver, etc.

I will be checking back in here on SR tomorrow for my 30-day milestone.

Thanks so much to everyone here for all the encouragement. All the responses I get directly are great, and just being able to sit here and read everyone else's trials, tribulations, and successes have helped me so much.
Hey, Saddler,

I'm glad that you chose not to drink with your friends this time. This IS a huge success! It's wonderful to have moments where we are conscious of our abilities to CHOOSE.

However, I can't ever get cocky when it comes to drugs and alcohol. I was WAS powerless over them. Today, I have choices. Even so, my disease is very intelligent and it likes to mess with my head and make me think I'm stronger than I actually am. It tells me that I'm invincible and that I'm not really sick.

Like I said, I'm happy for you that you did the right thing. We have choices today. You made the right choice. You should feel proud. At the same time, keep in mind that your recovery comes first. In the future, if you think that maybe avoiding the people, places and things that make drinking easy for you might help you to stay clean another day, then don't feel ashamed. By all means, go for it and get away from the temptation in your life.

Life will tempt you and test you enough as it is. We have bad things happen to us. We want to drink. We have good things happen to us. We want to drink. We don't have to go out and find it. It's always going to be there, waiting for us. Waiting in the wings as Plan B. No testing required.

Just keep in mind that if you aren't out of control with your drinking, then you don't have to make an effort to control your drinking. Does that make sense to you? It does to me.

Anyway, keep living for today and loving life!!! All we have is today, regardless.

Loves,
Sugar
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are making progress.....

AA? For me.... it's an awesome adventure
on how to live sober with joy.

Blessings to you and your family