Notices

And still not sure....

Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And still not sure....

Whether I am supposed to be here or not. I keep using alcohol and mixing it with diphenhydromine. Yesterday, I had about 8 beers watching the golf and then for some reason popped half a sleep pill, passed out on the couch, got up and did the same thing about 9 pm. I woke up at 1130 and couldnt fall back asleep and have been up since. I had a bunch of drinks on Thursday-Sunday, a 12 pak of beer and a fifth of JD. Really was a wasted weekend. My family is far away and I guess I just get lonely. I have been doing a better job at moderating during the week. I beat myself up and feel pretty crappy. I am going to try some new antidepressants that I just got perscribed last week. I miss my wife so hard all the time.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Mixing alcohol and sleeping pills (or any drugs) is really, really dangerous.

I hope that your new antidepressants help you to move forward.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JerryBear2009 View Post

Yesterday, I had about 8 beers watching the golf and then for some reason popped half a sleep pill, passed out on the couch, got up and did the same thing about 9 pm.

I am going to try some new antidepressants that I just got perscribed last week.
You need a sleeping pill to pass out while watching golf???

Seriously, I would do sh*t like that all the time... Some of my insanity... I'll still nap in the afternoon, but only 20-30 minutes, then I'm refreshed... feels much better.

You can try some of those antidepressants, and they may help. But, underlying anything you are treating... there's still that alcohol thing ...

Is your wife coming back?

Mark
Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Be very careful with mixing alcohol with other drugs.
So dangerous ...you might not wake up again.
Geez!
My friend Norman had 5 beers + 1 prescribed med.
He died in my bed from respitatory failure.
The combo ...according to the medical examiner ...
made him forget to breath.

If you think being far away is keeping you drunk
save your life and move East.
Money and jobs don't make a hoot if you are dead.

Stop playing around with your life Jerry.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didnt think that simply sleep and some drinks was that big of a deal. Its basically bendryl. My wife is babysitting our house back east and I work in CA. Its hard and we have been doing this for a year. With this economy I just don't know. I know I have been better about drinking but yesterday was not a good one.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wanna read about some others who were just not sure
if they wanted to give up alcohol?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...d-friends.html

Time for you to save your life....
Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jerry

Benadryl is probably not THAT big of a deal regarding your brainstem functions (breathing, heart beat...) .... But, think about it, and I am WELL qualified to speak about this...

I would drink beers on weekend days, or days off, starting early afternoon, sometimes late morning, drink until it didn't feel so good, sleep them off (and I didn't just use benadryl....) and get up and do it again in the evening... especially if I was on my own for the day...

I was usually alone or isolating by myself, and didn't really think I was hurting anyone... meanwhile my life was going to sh*t around me.

It has taken me seven months to understand how normal people "do" days off and weekends... Didn't just come back to me, I am having to work at it... but it's a better way to live, for me.

Sorry you are out there alone... that's risky for abuse of alcohol. No one around, boredom... Maybe you could, say, take up golf?? (hope you don't mind my attempts at humor, they are meant in a lighthearted way...)

Mark
Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, that sounds pretty familiar. I did that this past weekend. Got up at 4 am and had another beer thinking that the benedryl would put me back to sleep and I got up at 11 am. Which for me is really late. I normally am up at 530am. I have just been through a bought of pneumonia so I thought that maybe that sleep was a good thing.

I guess I know I do need to cut back. I had a rule that I dont drink on Sunday and I broke that yesterday. Up until that point, I was doing pretty well. Or so I thought....

Thanks Mark!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're not sure you belong here, why not take a break from SR and see what happens. It sounds like you're not ready to quit drinking yet. Mixing alcohol with any medication is not a good idea. It only takes one time that you don't wake up... I wish you the best.

Anti depressants don't work as they should while drinking alcohol. Just sayin'...
Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sounds like you want to continue drinking.. not sure myself either why you are 'here'. Is there something that you are wanting from this forum that would be helpful to you?

From my end of it, you clearly have some problems with substances.. but that's your deal and it doesn't sound like you want to change.

Now what?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JerryBear2009 View Post
Whether I am supposed to be here or not. I keep using alcohol and mixing it with diphenhydromine. Yesterday, I had about 8 beers watching the golf and then for some reason popped half a sleep pill, passed out on the couch, got up and did the same thing about 9 pm. I woke up at 1130 and couldnt fall back asleep and have been up since. I had a bunch of drinks on Thursday-Sunday, a 12 pak of beer and a fifth of JD. Really was a wasted weekend. My family is far away and I guess I just get lonely. I have been doing a better job at moderating during the week. I beat myself up and feel pretty crappy. I am going to try some new antidepressants that I just got perscribed last week. I miss my wife so hard all the time.
I think alot of this is perfectly normal when people are trying to come to grips with their drinking. Its good that you are being honest here. Hope you stay & read, and decide from there when your ready.