Notices

Working for peace within

Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Working for peace within

I hope its ok to put this here as i am not exactly new now.. i just wanted to write it.

I love the following passage... even though i am not religious... i think it should p*ss everyone off if they dont notice the outside world.

From the colour purple (my fav book/film) by Alice Walker:

Shug: I think it p*sses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice it.

Shug: More than anything God love admiration.
Celie: You saying God is vain?
Shug: No, not vain, just wanting to share a good thing. I think it p*sses God off when you walk by the colour purple in a field and don't notice it.
Celie: You saying it just wanna be loved like it say in the bible?
Shug: Yeah, Celie. Everything wanna be loved. Us sing and dance, and holla just wanting to be loved. Look at them trees. Notice how the trees do everything people do to get attention... except walk?
[they laugh]
Shug: Oh Miss Celie, I feels like singing!

This is me today... i made a choice y'day and have felt good ever since...
I decided to get off my butt and work at this... instead of not understanding or knowing stuff... do/ask!!!
I was at AA y'day and they showed a d.v.d that explained the first step and I GOT IT!!!

I've never admitted this outside my own head... I am an alcoholic.

Y'day when i got back... instead of hiding in my room... i made my lunch, did my laundry, laundered and changed my bedding, watched t.v (i havent done this for over a week)... i did anything that kept me out my room... and it felt so good to go to bed last night...

Today... i got up refreshed... and went to work.. the person i support and i took a walk along the beach... and it felt so peaceful... the sun is out and its gorgeous here.
I actually feel quite light today... i have chosen not to live in that mess of doom and gloom....

Anyway... my original point was... the thing i regret the most about drinking is i have missed so much of this beautiful world around me... sure its going to pot at the moment... but there are still some good things to be found... and they can be on our own doorsteps....
Life can be as good as we choose it to be...

I hope this feeling lasts... actually i CHOOSE for this feeling to last.

I hope all is well with you guys

p.s... Happy Easter (i do that with my tongue when i concerntrate)

Be well
louis
Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Sounds like you have found a newfound sense of "freedom" which is indeed a good thing. I was a prisoner of my diease--Step 1 was my key to freedom. There is a whole new world out there just waiting to be discovered--SOBER....glad to hear you have already started the journey.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Louis.

If you can keep that attitude you can't go wrong.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do that too.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm with you, Louis, many regrets over not being present in my own life during some of the most pivotal times. We can't let that sadness overtake us, though - and it sounds like you're not going to allow that to happen.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

...."I actually feel quite light today... i have chosen not to live in that mess of doom and gloom.... "

Thats lovely loius.

Ive been out today with the dogs......in the meadows down by the river.
in the sunshine and with my wife.

As sobriety dawned on me i began to see the big picture like you....began to see the colours and the wildlife..the more the fog lifted the more i wanted to see more of all the things that were blinkered to me for years.

When we all lay down in the meadows.....and catch some rays..i know a new peace....a new freedom.........and a closeness to god i never thought possible..

i dont regret the past......because this is a new level of living...one where true peace is achiveable.......without booze.

You summed it up perfect.........and im glad you are feeling that new freedom too.

God be with you........trucker
Old 04-12-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post, Louis, and one of my favourite books!

I think that being able to find peace in our lives, no matter what is going on, is the answer.