I saw my son today.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face I saw my son today.

Today I met with my son and his case worker at the rehab. My son looked great and seemed to be embracing his sobriety. I think he might have another week in there. I am nervous about him coming home, but I think he is too. I went to my first naranon meeting last night and felt equipped for the meeting today. I also realized I need the naranon as much as my son needs NA. Happy Easter and Happy Passover!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

That is wonderful to hear . . . for both of you! If you said you and/or your son aren't nervous about his coming home, then you should be worried! Does that make sense? It's natural to be nervous, everyone involved.

I am so happy that you went to Naranon and that you realize how much you need to go, for YOU! I hope you are going to continue going, especially after he comes home.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misscrabtree View Post
Today I met with my son and his case worker at the rehab. My son looked great and seemed to be embracing his sobriety.
that's really good news!

I think he might have another week in there. I am nervous about him coming home, but I think he is too.
that's okay, you should be a little wary, after all rehab isn't the cure all that we wish it were.

I went to my first naranon meeting last night and felt equipped for the meeting today. I also realized I need the naranon
Naranon literally saved my life, I'm so glad you went and hope that you will continue, as it is a recovery program for YOU!!! Besides, SR, I have found so much needed support in the f2f meetings.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover!
Happy Easter!!!
Chris
Old 04-10-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful news, I wish you both the best.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do hope all goes well!

Best, HG
Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

So glad to hear your son seems to be getting it.

I am a mother of a RAD. And I can't tell you how instrumental face to face meetings have been in MY recovery. I found out I'm just as sick as my AD and I needed a program to get my life back to the manageable state.

Please keep attending the meetings. There is so much to learn and the support from people who are going through the same thing just cannot be found anywhere other than with recovering folks.

Hugs and prayers that your son will keep on keeping on with the recovery,

Hangin' In
Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you went to Naranon! Just remember to live in the moment. :ghug
Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

great news for both of you! I know you know how precarious it all is, and so its normal to be nervous about how it will be. You never know, this could be the time for him to really 'get' it. Addicts DO recover!! (It's just that addicts also don't!). So for us, the moms, to live - we need to live with the uncertainty at all times and keep the focus on us instead of those we can't control. (I sometimes think its easier for the addict - he just has to not use!). Actually, for me (being both addict and mom of addict,) it IS easier to just not use than it is to 'let go' of my kid. it I were you, would be extremely happy (and wondering if it was 'safe' to be happy, and then trying not to be too happy because you never know what might happen next... this stuff is not for sissies.)
Old 04-11-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Red face Thanks sleepy goat.

Thanks for your post. It was good to get your input as you see it from both perspectives. I'm so glad I took the step to go to the meeting. I am planning to return this week. I've been reading the naranon book and the entries are both moving and thought provoking. I've acknowledged the "other shoe dropping" thoughts and I'm trying not to let them bog me down. Let's say I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Talk with the rehab about establishing and after-care program.
In my exper, it is best if the living arrangement is not parent's house.
Getting clean happens in rehab
Staying clean + recovery work begins in the aftercare

You are right, we need recovery tools and program equally for this family disease.
How great to see your son doing well...gives hope.