Notices

Skakingfor the first time.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Skakingfor the first time.

I began having the shakes for the first time this week. I have never had this problem before. I am currently attempting to stop drinking but it is not going well. I like this forum and it is helping. I started paxil again late last year and forgot how bad the cravings get when I am on this stuff. I have halved my intake and the cravings are getting a little better. Dose any one know of a natural cure to help with my new problem. I can't see my dr until next week. I considered a walk in RX but I don't know if they would treat me or not.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sadly...

there's a first time for everything with this darn disease. I suffer from moderate shakes if I quit abruptly and this has been happening since about 2005. Originally I blamed the shakes on a lack of minerals in my system (calcium and magnesium) - only later did I find out the real perpetrator - withdrawals. I don't mean to be nosy, but how old are you and how long have you been abusing alcohol? I'm not a medical doctor, but benzos are of help in calming down the shakes and anxiety that usually accompany withdrawal. Good luck!

Goob
Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

savior I was where you are at for 5 years..... minus the paxil.

Absolute best advice I can give you right now based on my experience is drink just enough to keep the shakes away until you see your doctor.

Now here is the most important part, if you are serious about wanting to get and stay sober then you MUST get HONEST!!!!

When you see the doctor tell him the WHOLE truth about your drinking, especially about the shakes, because after the shakes start if you are going cold turkey the really bad stuff may start!!! Things that may KILL you!

I am not a doctor, but I have been known to take bets, and I will bet you a dozen doughnuts that if you are totally honest your doctor will help you to get medically detoxed, it may be in or out patient, but that is what I am willing to bet!

Good luck and please be HONEST with your doctor, I have found honesty to be one of the keys to sobriety.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi!
Ditto what Taz said. I had a Doc giving me every medication under the sun to fix all of my ailments. Boy I had a bunch. None of the medications worked and the Doc keep giving me more of the them and stronger meds.

Turns out I am an alcoholic and meds didn't work so well when I was drinking. When I stopped the drinking completely I no longer had the need for any medications at all.

See a Doc but be honest (I wasn't) about your drinking and they can really help.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't stress enough what Taz and Dime have already said. It is amazing what my doctor has been able to do for me once I became honest with her. She was obviously concerned, and disappointed that I had lied to her previously out of shame, fear, and guilt.
It dawned on me that I was wasting my time and money even being in her office if I wasn't going to tell her everything that was ailing me. Drinking included.
Arm your doctor with the truth. They can, and will make you feel better.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I find chamomile tea to be helpful in calming anxiety. It's sold by two different companies as either Sleepytime or Sweet Dreams. Other companies make it too but I don't know what it's called. Give it a try.

And do see your doctor!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You can go to an ER with withdrawal symptoms.
ER doctors know what to do....but...as said
you must be totally honest about your drinking

Here is a link....please read it for more info....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Your de toxing from alcohol could be more
complicated because you are using another drug.
I don't know. Only a doctor would.

Hope this helps...
Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted and I do hope that you take care of yourself!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

I doubt the Paxil had nothing to do with shakes or cravings and alcohol had everything to do with them. It is the first time also that I have EVER heard of an anti-depressant making alcohol cravings worse. I only say this because I don't want you to really believe that it is the Paxil that is the problem. It us not unique to point or focus in another direction that on alcohol itself. A doctor can help you with detox, but it will be up to you to understand what alcohol does to you. Most likely what it does now will never change. It typically gets worse not better. My experience anyway.

Gregg
Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you for the kind replies. i am in my forties and i have been drinking heavily for a few years. I just got back from my first meeting. It was not as bad as i thought it would be. I could not believe how many people were there. i kept to my shelf but i feel like some things soaked in. i have had the same doc. for several years and she can tell when i am lying. I am honest with her.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

This is going to sound blunt but..

The best way to stop drinking, is to stop drinking.

See a doc to be safe.

GL!