Temporary sanity, is there hope?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Temporary sanity, is there hope?

Hey everyone,
Just an update on my 19 yr old AD. Many things, yet so few things have happened since my son has returned. I must admit, i have so little faith that he will remain on the right path, there has been signs. He is no longer combative or angry. I even saw him smiling yesterday. It was so good to see a real smile from a sober son. We have had some long talks, but he is very adult about them. I am no longer mothering, just listening and hearing him make decisions. I do know by us making him leave, made a huge impact. realizing he has lost 5 mos of his life is also has him re-evaluating his life as well as his parents admitting he is an addict. As i have told you, the behavior of my son as an addict is not my son. all of you know this, as i am sure with your own.
My husband has asked to go away with our son for the weekend up to the mountains,(their favorite place). My husband is nervous, but my son has agreed and i hope they have a wonderful weekend together. I hope to have some R & R and rest my weary body and soul.
I have watched my son overcome many obstacles in his life with such admiration. I am just hoping this may be another of his accomplishments.
thanks everyone for listening, as i will keep you updated.:praying
Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rozied

I am happy for you that your son appears to be on the right track. I pray it continues & hope your hubby & son have a wonderful wkend together.
Enjoy your time alone & do things for yourself that you like.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What happened to 'treatment or you're out the door'?

You can take it or leave it, but I see him playing both of you like a fiddle. He certainly wasn't living on the streets and going without food when you made him leave before.

Oh he's learned some things while he was gone. I'd be willing to wager it wasn't to evaluate that he lost 5 months of his life.

I could be wrong, and I'll be the first to apologize if I am, but this is the calm before the storm.

Fasten your seatbelt because it's going to get very bumpy, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not even next week, but it will.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are probably right Devon,
But there is a window. Why not use it. Every day we spend with our son without drugs is a blessing. It may not be much, but it is a day to cherish. Some do even get this.
Thank you for keeping things in perspective
Old 04-09-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand the blessing of being with your son while he's in sobriety. And I think it is wonderful for he & your H to spend time together. Especially since you'll get from some needed rest & relaxation.

Just be sure to keep your eyes wide open for the bumpy road that may be ahead.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dslalonde View Post
My husband has asked to go away with our son for the weekend up to the mountains,(their favorite place). My husband is nervous, but my son has agreed and i hope they have a wonderful weekend together. I hope to have some R & R and rest my weary body and soul.
I:praying
Wow...what a blessing from your HP. I think this is an awesome idea...sometimes boys just need to connect with Dad (Dad needs it too )

And a day for R&R for you...sometimes the best thing we can do is...nothing at all...make sure you take advantage of every minute of your R & R time...it's good for the soul.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Hurtbad2505 View Post
Wow...what a blessing from your HP. I think this is an awesome idea...sometimes boys just need to connect with Dad (Dad needs it too )

And a day for R&R for you...sometimes the best thing we can do is...nothing at all...make sure you take advantage of every minute of your R & R time...it's good for the soul.
I have to say I agree here.
I have to admit that through thick and thin, if I saw an opening to "be" with my kid, I tried.
And the thought of a few days R&R?
PRICELESS!
Hoping for the best!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All we can do is take it one day at a time, and appreciate each good day, even each good moment.

I pray your son continues on this good path. Just be careful not to let all your guards down. Remember to keep your boundaries too.

Prayers & Hugs,
Devastated